General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohio on-cycle manuverability test

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007 | 12:17 PM
06flstf
|
Tourer
Default Ohio on-cycle manuverability test

Ok, how many of you Ohioans have taken the state on-cycle motorcycle test with a cruiser (or bigger) and passed the cone portion of the test - and how? I and 2 other sport bikes biffed this part of the test. The only one that did pass was the scooter that showed up with a 4' wheel base.

For those who haven't had the pleasure, the cones are 10' apart with every other cone offset 2' to the right. You start out about 10' in front of the first cone (lined up with the offset cone) and go left of the first then right, etc. I'll admit to being a new rider, but I can't see how I am going to get my Fatboy thru this course without taking some major point damage.

Other states with a similar test have the cones 12' apart but Ohio has them 10' apart. The MSF pamphlets recommend practicing at 20' with no offset - not much help there. U-turn in 20', quick stop in 16', 90 degree turn - no problem but the cones are killer.

Thanks,

Old 07-19-2007 | 12:21 PM
coldmcrider
Cruiser
Default RE: Ohio on-cycle manuverability test

I repectfully recommemnd that you take an MSF Basic Riders Course. Most states give you a waiver so you don't need to take the DMV test. And as a bonus, you'll probably learn a few things. a 10x2 weave is difficult but not impossible to do on a Fatboy.

Old 07-19-2007 | 12:26 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer

It seems to me theese tests are desined to see if you can control clutch slip whilst doing slow speed turns. One word of advice, don't lean when going slow

Old 07-19-2007 | 12:26 PM
06flstf
|
Tourer

coldmcrider

Thanks for the reply. I did try taking the Rider's Edge course offered by my HD dealer. After waiting a month for an open class I got paged on my way to class (I am on-call). The 20 minutes it took me to answer the page was enough to exclude me from the class and forfit my $300 registration fee. I could reschedule, but it would be another $100 and a couple more weeks for an openning.

Old 07-19-2007 | 12:33 PM
sulkaman
Cruiser

Look for the course in Ohio run by Polaris. As noted in this thread, it counts for the endorsement and you don't have to take the DMV test. Here is the good part. They provide the bike. I believe it is a 125 so much easier to maneuver. No need to try and get a bagger through that course just sign up for this course. I hear it is quite rigorous and I know the cost is $20.

Frank
Munson Township, Ohio

Old 07-19-2007 | 12:35 PM
skullandcircle
Road Captain

indiana is the same way , do like I did and skip the 3rd cone. You only lose 3 points. [/align]

Old 07-19-2007 | 12:46 PM
coldmcrider
Cruiser

That is unfortunate that you couldn't make the class on time.

What you can do is get a can of tennis *****, cut them in half to use as cones, and teach yourself how to do it by practicing. Get the Ride like a Pro DVD from Jerry Pallidino.

You will probably need to start off with the cones 15-20 feet apart and move them closer together as you gain skill and confidence.

You will need to drag the rear brake, use your clutch friction zone, turn the handlebars quite a bit and lean the bike to negotiate the 10x2 weave. DO NOT look down at the cones or you won't make it. Look a few feet above the last cone and see the closer cones with your peripheral vision. Keep practicing and you will eventually get it.

I'd still recommend trying to get back to take the riders edge course too.

Old 07-19-2007 | 01:02 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member

Dunno how it is now, but I took the saftey course, and still had to take the DMV test.

Where, in Ohio are you at? I'm in the Cleveland 'burbs, and took it at Polaris Vocation School in Middleburg Hts.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/brc.htm

From that site...
The following is required to pass the course: [ul][*] 100% attendance in both classroom and riding sessions[*]96% or better on a written knowledge test (mulitple choice, 50 questions - all questions are covered in the student workbook or the classroom movies) [*]20 or fewer points deducted on the Riding Skill Evaluation at the end of the course. You will be evaluated on the riding skills you have been practicing during the course and are necessary to reduce the risk of riding a motorcycle. The Riding Skill Evaluation is similar to the On-Cycle Endorsement Test given by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. [*]No errant behavior -- this is a safety course! [*]If you are 18 years of age or older, you do not need to pass this course to take the On-Cycle Endorsement Test given by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and get your motorcycle endorsement on your license.[/ul]Sites...
http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/brcschedule.htm

Kinda late in the year, not sure if any class will have openings.

Old 07-19-2007 | 01:08 PM
06flstf
|
Tourer

I just checked with Polaris and they are booked until October. They do allow walk-ins but it is hit or miss with no waiting list. Practice is on the to-do list and I will keep the tip about the third cone in mind if all else fails.

Comments and tips are all appreciated.

Old 07-19-2007 | 01:17 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 06flstf

I just checked with Polaris and they are booked until October. They do allow walk-ins but it is hit or miss with no waiting list. Practice is on the to-do list and I will keep the tip about the third cone in mind if all else fails.

Comments and tips are all appreciated.

They have an opening starting tonight, according to the site.

2007PCC-041BRC07/19/200707/22/2007Thu 6pm-10pm, Sat 2pm-8pm, Sun 2pm-8pmContact Sponsor to Register Polaris Career Center ( P ) Map/Directions

Quick Reply: Ohio on-cycle manuverability test