General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohio on-cycle manuverability test

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007 | 10:27 AM
1200babe
Tourer
Default RE: Ohio on-cycle manuverability test

Wow! I dont know about all of you but I prefer not to ride witih folks who can not really control their bikes. I am surprised at the number of riders who are afraid to take the DMV skills test. I have seen lots of riders who took the MSF course, passed, have their license but still cannot do the DMV skills test and pass. I realize most riders just get on their bikes and hope for the best- ie - no unusual situation on the roads- but I want to know the people I am riding with are good enough to pass the DMV test or do any of the exercises on the Ride Like a Pro videos. Hubby and I have attended their class and work constantly at keeping our skills honed. We firmly believe in the Motor officers way of riding- practice does make perfect. friction zone, rear brake and turning the head really makes a Huge difference in your abilities. Try it- it never hurts to work at being a better rider.

Old 07-20-2007 | 01:48 PM
06flstf
|
Tourer

I guess what disappointed me the most when taking the BMV test was the fact that I had practiced cones, u-turn in20', quick stop, sharp right turn, even the MSF figure 8,etc. - because I do want to be a responsible rider. If I was going to get hit with points I wanted it to be on something I need work on. I neveranticipated that there would be a section of the test that for all practical purposes was designed to fail people. They have two standards for other parts of the test for over/under 500cc (U-turn & Quick stop) - but not for the cones. When I asked about how many cruisers had ever passed the cone section clean (no points)the Testing Officer responded - there wasONE guy on a bagger. I think Timet2Ride has it right - it is a test of responses to circumstancesnot necessarily just skill.

Ok, I am done ranting. I do appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. I have rescheduled the test and will spend the next week or two practicing to get it right.

Old 07-20-2007 | 06:41 PM
capt775
Road Master

Man brother, you ought to have to take your test here in Louisiana. Skills test consisted of cranking your bike, pulling off (I assume without killing it), riding down the parking lot, making a U-turn (without hitting any parked cars), comming back and stopping (without hitting the LEO, or dropping the bike). I lost a "point" because I didn't use my turn signal when I made the U-turn. I told the LEO I didn't know you had to use it in a parking lot. He weren't amused. Written test was easier though. [sm=laughingsmilie.gif]

Old 07-20-2007 | 09:34 PM
mikeyflhti
Cruiser

I took the test in Ohio 4 years ago, at the DMVon Alum Creek in Columbus. If I remember correctly, for the cone weave, you start about 10 feet from the first cone. You have to be pointing the bike straight ahead but the first cone is offest about 2 or 3 feet to the left. Weave through several cones before you finish. I tagged the last cone, but passed the overall test with about half of the allowable points. At that time, I do not think that I could have passed it on my FLHTI. I was riding a Suzuki Marauder (800cc) at the time. For a beginning rider it is not an easy test. I was about the 10th person to take the test, and 5 of the previous 9 failed! If I had to take the test now, I am confident that I could pass on my bike. I didn't practice specifically for the test before I took it, but I put alot of miles on the bike on backroads with my temps before I took the test.

Old 07-21-2007 | 08:48 AM
8rdMag
Intermediate

The cone test is not designed to fail you. I passed it the first time on my 02 Fatboy. I cant believe people actually rent scooters and borrow smaller bikes to pass this...Spend time on your own bike, and learn to ride it.

My suggestion for you is to buy Jerry Palladinos Ride Like a Pro Video. Listen to his training and practice. I had to spend around 6 hours practice to get everything down.

Start with your cones placed ina straight line. Practice weaving thru those. As you accomplish this task, start moving the no. 2 and no.4 cone outwards. If you gradually move them out, you will eventually get to the required offset. Dont look at the cones, look above the last one. If you look at the cone your weaving around, your going to hit it. Use the friction zone on the clutch, and apply light rear brake. Do not use the front brake.

If your in the Cleveland area, drop me a PM, you can borrow my Ride Like A pro DVD