General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohio on-cycle manuverability test

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007 | 01:25 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Default RE: Ohio on-cycle manuverability test

When I took my test back in 78' I borrowed a friends Yamaha 175. I admit a 6'4" guy on a tonka looked rather amusing,the DMV guy wastrying not to laughthe whole time, butI passed!

Old 07-19-2007 | 03:24 PM
jimb
Road Master

I took mine in Columbus a few years ago.There were people literally unloading motorized scooters to take the test.I took it on a Honda 450.

Old 07-19-2007 | 08:29 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain

Don't know about Ohio, but here they don't really expect you to get through the cones- what they're looking for is how you handle the bike when you realize you aren't going to make it. Put a foot down, stop or fall over, you fail. If you straighten up and ride on after missing a cone, you lose a point but pass the test.

Old 07-19-2007 | 08:51 PM
HDFXSTC
Road Captain

Wow $300 for the Riders Edge Course. My wife took the MSF course (in Ohio)a few years ago and it only cost $20. She automatically received a motorcycle endorsement after passing the course. They always seem booked up but allow walk-ins if someone doesn't show up. You might go to one and take a chance that there will be an opening. I took my softail custom through the course when she went to practice. It was tight but I could make it through. I had the steering against the stop and slipped the clutcha few times.

Old 07-20-2007 | 01:48 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DYNAMITE 1

It seems to me theese tests are desined to see if you can control clutch slip whilst doing slow speed turns. One word of advice, don't lean when going slow
Actually, you can lean when going slow. You need to drag the rear brake, and have proper head and eye placement to do it.

This turn here was done a walking, or slightly faster than walking speed. It is a full lock U-Turn inside of 20 feet.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...;current=9.jpg

Here is one of my students doing the same thing.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t=RichardN.jpg

Old 07-20-2007 | 06:05 AM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

I tried the BMV test first and the cone weave got me. Damn difficult on a bagger. So I took the MSF class at Cuyahoga Community College East Campus off I-271. Great class, one instructor retired form 31 yrs of motorcycle racing and the other was a retired Cleveland motorcop. Had a blast.

Old 07-20-2007 | 06:44 AM
Hoopie
6th Gear

I took the Ohio Basic Riders Course last month. Great course. I ended up with some little Yamaha enduro type bike with knobby tires. I had a heck of a time getting used to it. Wobbled all over the place. I ran over cones left and right and couldn't do the figure eight without running five feet over the lines.

I finally told the insructor I could probably do better on my RK. He said that if I was steering through the cones, I was going too slow. He said, " get your speed up, put your eyes on that tree line over there, andPRESS instead of steer." And he was right, I started running everything at good clip in 2nd gear and it was like night and day. Passed the exam with zero points.

Another thing, our instructors ran the course on a brand new Ultra, and an 03 Heritage Softtail Classic. Showed us all what you can do with a lot a practice.

Old 07-20-2007 | 08:53 AM
Cannon00000
Tourer

I passed the test my first time on a 1400 Intruder. Never was able to to a class. Biggest recommendation I can share is to relax and breathe. You will be amazed how much easier the course is to navigate when you arent nervous. I watched several other riders who stared at their feet the entire time to make sure they would stop right at the painted lines. You dont ride like that, so try not to take your test like that.

Just my two cents..

Old 07-20-2007 | 09:25 AM
scotchrick05
Cruiser

IL is just as bad.

Old 07-20-2007 | 09:41 AM
easyglider
Road Warrior

MOTORCYCLE OHIO!They have a basic rider training and it is a good course.http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/brc.htm

Quick Reply: Ohio on-cycle manuverability test