General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two New Helmets - Me & Wife

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 03:49 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,203 Likes on 7,372 Posts
Default Two New Helmets - Me & Wife

Well we have added two new helmets to our gear stable.

We both use a white Bell Pit Boss. These helmets serve us very well expecially in warmer months. We are on our second set the Pit Boss and it is hands down my wife's favorite helmet.

Last year we also added a pair of Sena Calvery helmets with built in Blue Tooth. These are actually very comfortable and for local shorter rides. We enjoy the music, access to cell phone and communicating with each other wireless.

While on a 7 day ride almost three years ago we ran into two days of heavy rain and storms. The Bell Pit Boss was just not good enough for me with presciption glasses. From a safety standpoint I made a decision to purchase Shoei J-Cruise in white. Got it on sale for $325.00. Had to purchase the pin lock separately but worth the money. So this has become my long distance helmet that I always wear for our trips. The ventilation is excellent, it is very comfortable and the drop down visor clears by glasses. The main shield has an excellent gasket that is completely water proof. I know as we rode through very heavy rain for over 300 miles in December.

I had been shopping for a Shoei NeoTec II but there are no real deal. I came across a super deal on a Schuberth C3 Pro at Revzilla for $399.00 with free shipping. Decided to check it out and if I did not like it I'd return and continue waiting on a deal for a Shoei Neotec II. Well I am very happy to report that this helmet is AWESOME. I'm not going to say it is better than a Shoei, but they are both extremely high quality. It is definately a keeper!

So we are at our local dealer yesterday for their open house and they are having education sessions in each department. My wife goes to the helmet session and much to my surprise she fell in love with the Harley 3 in 1 Pilot helmet. We go a 20% coupon while there whietch was a very nice savings and she bought one! Regular $225.00. I came home and got online and discovered that Scorpion makes this for HD and they market it under the name "Covert". I have never see her this excited over a helmet before. She has been wearing it around the house today trying to break it in.

One thing is we are truely trying to focus first and foremost on safety. I think the Shoei and Schuberth will become my #1 and #2 helmets year round depending on temps and rain. I'm glad to see my wife finally moving from a half helmet.

The right gear makes the ride EASY!

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 02-16-2020 at 04:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 03:52 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

If you have not tried a Pin Lock shield it is a must. I can breath as hard as possible and these things don't fog.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:00 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Nice. My wife gives me grief and says that I own too many helmets. I guess I do but each has its own niche.

Cosmic Razorback (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 04:20 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Nice. My wife gives me grief and says that I own too many helmets. I guess I do but each has its own niche.
I agree 100%. I actually sold an HD 3/4 helmet, two HD 1/2 helmets and three Bell 500's on this sight and eBay about a year ago. It's easy to collect a lot of helmets. The only time I wear prescription sunglasses is when I am riding. I've discovered that I am better off with my regular glasses and the drop down visors and shields with the Shoei and Schubreth. The savings in a pair of prescription sunglasses pays for one of the helmets!

Old 02-16-2020, 04:35 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,311 Likes on 1,864 Posts

I've had my HJC FF Modular ($200+) helmet for about three years and I've added the headphones as I do use them frequently.
I've been pretty satisfied with this helmet but I have decided that when I decide to replace it that I will so a lot of research and I will try on a variety of brands and sizes before I make the plunge for a more expensive brain bucket. For me, the "drop-down" tinted shield is not really wanted but if it comes with it that's OK.

I have more of an oval shaped head that a round one and I believe (hope) that I can find one that will fit my noggin better than the one I have currently as well as the all of those that I have purchased over the years.

I've also managed (again) to buy a half-shell helmet a few years back that is too large for me. I just came seem to remember that helmet lining shrinks in time and that I should buy one that is a little "snug".

Old 02-16-2020, 04:47 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I've had my HJC FF Modular ($200+) helmet for about three years and I've added the headphones as I do use them frequently.
I've been pretty satisfied with this helmet but I have decided that when I decide to replace it that I will so a lot of research and I will try on a variety of brands and sizes before I make the plunge for a more expensive brain bucket. For me, the "drop-down" tinted shield is not really wanted but if it comes with it that's OK.

I have more of an oval shaped head that a round one and I believe (hope) that I can find one that will fit my noggin better than the one I have currently as well as the all of those that I have purchased over the years.

I've also managed (again) to buy a half-shell helmet a few years back that is too large for me. I just came seem to remember that helmet lining shrinks in time and that I should buy one that is a little "snug".
Well the Shoei and Schubreth are both a level ahead of any prior helmets I have owned. For example they made a big deal at the HD dealership yesterday that the helmet my wife purchased has a "One Year" warranty. The Schubreth comes with a 5 year warranty. Fit, finish and comfort are what you get for the price. Both have been tight on my head at fist. Not painful but tight. When they break in they are like a perfect pair of boots or gloves. Like you know it is not good to have them too large.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:04 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I've had a C3 Pro for over 4 years, and it's an outstanding helmet. Most comfortable one I've owned. $399 is a screaming deal on it.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:07 PM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,341 Posts

I have the Schuberth C4, best helmet I’ve ever owned, super comfortable for hours and quiet

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironworker69:
Cosmic Razorback (02-16-2020), Mark out West (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 07:10 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
If you have not tried a Pin Lock shield it is a must. I can breath as hard as possible and these things don't fog.
I wish Pinlock would make something universal so it will fit ALL helmets.

I know there is a universal item to stop fogging but I heard it does not work great. BUT the Pinlock is GREAT if it works on ur particular helmet.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:12 PM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,099 Likes on 534 Posts

Heck, I paid over $650 for my C3 Pro when they first came out. Worth every penny IMO. Waiting for the C4 Pro with the SC2 BT setup that's due up any month now.

Shoei and Arai are both extremely high quality, and not knocking them in any way. But if you got a noggin that fits their particular shape, nothing beats a Schuberth. The aerodynamics are second to none.

Hell, any helmet is better than nothing.

Last edited by Mark out West; 02-16-2020 at 08:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark out West:
'05Train (02-17-2020), Cosmic Razorback (02-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Two New Helmets - Me & Wife