General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first HD

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM
newridrnconcord
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first HD

I'm ready to buy my firstHD (for social riding), and I'd appreciate recommendations / suggestions. At first, peoplesaid I should start out witha Sportser 1200 - nowall I hear is that within a year, I will wish I had gotten something bigger. I love the look of the Dyna Street Bob - is this a good first bike?

I've got experience on dirt bikes, and I've ridden in the backseat a good bit - just ready to have my own.

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:43 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Looking to buy my first HD

Welcome to the family.

My advice is to rent every bike you are interested in for a weekend of hard riding. After that, your decision will be muich easier.

Mike

Old 07-19-2007, 02:57 PM
pirate4hire
Intermediate

Renting a bunch of different bikes will set you back a large sum of money. I would suggest buying a used sporty. You can find them for as little as 2500.00 sometimes. Ride it until you know your ready for something bigger, sell it and use it as a down payment. Also because you have a used bike you will learn alot about maintenance. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:02 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: newridrnconcord

I'm ready to buy my firstHD (for social riding)
What?

Old 07-19-2007, 03:09 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

A lot of people, myself included, picked a big twin for their first bike. I don't think this is the best way to get your feet wet, but you could probably get away with a Street Bob as your first bike. I usually recommend that new riders get a beater metric initially, sell it after they get used to it and buy what they really want. A 600-800cc cruiser is a good bike to learn on.

Buy good riding gear that works- not just what looks cool.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:18 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice Jeff

Old 07-19-2007, 03:21 PM
timdow
Tourer

I agree with buying a cheap beater. Sporty is a good, but more expensive option.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:29 PM
MANCHU DOG7
Advanced

How much dirt bike experience do you have? Alot/a little, trail riding only or did you race?
I ask these questions because I asked the same question you are asking about two months ago. I wanted to ( based on the experience of the fine people on this board) know what bike I should get and the best advice I got , and the one that I followed was: get the one your heart tells you and the one you really want.
My Night Train is my first ever street bike. . Only took about 3-5 days of riding to feel at home on it, and now I wouldn't trade it for anything
But... I had many years (30+) on various MX bikes and basically grew up in the saddle.
That is why I asked "how much" dirt bike time you had.That will play a big part in how easy it will be for you to adjust to riding on the street.
Bottom line: if your feeling the Street Bob.............

Old 07-19-2007, 03:30 PM
vermonter16
Advanced

I bought an HD Super Glide as my first bike. Never been on one before the MSF Course. I've only got 42 miles on it (just barely got it a couple weeks ago) but I love it. My husband got a Street Bob and he really loves it - has about 200 miles on his.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure where the "you'll outgrow the 1200" mentality comes from - I think it's more of wanting to "keep up with the Jones's" than anything else. The 1200 is the fastest HD (barring the CVOs and VRSCs) and has the best torque/weight ratio. It's also only a few inches shorter than a Dyna. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first HD