General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first HD

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
texaspirate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking to buy my first HD

I recommend that you take a MSF course first. It will give you some insight to riding on the road better. As for the first HD, I would spend money on a used Sportster and see if this is something you would love to ride. My first M/C was a Honda Hawk (dates my age), later ended up with a Honda 750. But ended up buying my first Harley, a 1972 Super Glide. I have never wanted any other motorcycle since then. Once in your blood it is forever! I have two HD right now. 1997 Dyna Wide Glide and 2007 Ultra Classic. Good riding!

Old 07-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Mnhorsemom
Cruiser

Just my 2 cents but...I'm a newer rider started last July, I'm not a youngster and had never ridden before. I took the MSF course and Hub bought me a 883L. I had it about 2 1/2 months and moved up to a Softail Deluxe. Now, I obviously have not ridden alot of bikes but I have to say that my Deluxe is WAY easier to ride than my Sporty was. Much lower center of gravity, and just plain handles nice. Several people tried to convince me to start out on something bigger than the 883 but I think I would have been way too intimidated at that time. I do agree with people who say you will probably not keep the Sporty long especially if you do have a decent amount of dirt bike experience.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:56 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know about the rest of the dealers, but my dealer will credit the full rental price (no limit) if I buy a bike within 30 days. At $130 a day, I can do a lot of learning one one weeks rentals and then have that deducted or credited to my bike purchase.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Acrux
Intermediate

I say, if you really like the looks of the street bob then go for it. I just got my first harley about a month and a half ago. Went with a super glide. I looked at a couple sportsters but they felt really small (I'm about 6' tall). But I have been riding around on a 600cc rice rocket for the past 6 years. You did say you have experience on dirt bikes though so I imagine you'll be just fine. Getting a small metric cruiser first might not be a bad idea, but I know once I got bit by the Harley bug I couldn't wait to get one even though my plan was to wait one more year. You'll get used to the weight of a heavier bike quickly.

I say go for the street bob. Take it easy until you're comfortable and you'll be just fine.

Acrux

Old 07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Weezie30
Tourer

My first bike was a fatboy. Buy what you like.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Be sure and take the MSF course and then, buy the bike that you want. If you don't and buy something else instead you will end up kicking yourself in the butt every time you see the "bike of your dreams" pass you by on the street. The worst thing that will happen is you might make a mistake. Big deal. If you make a mistake, you will have gained more experience, in the meantime, to know better what you want and in a year or whatever you can trade, sell, and get the bike you want.

Good luck and welcome from Tucson !!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Recycler
Outstanding HDF Member

Take a course and buy what your wallet will fit.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:26 PM
wvrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My RK was my first street bike. I have rode dirt bikes all my life and would occasionally take a friends street bike for a ride. The only thing I had to get use to was the wieght of the bike. Otherwise, there were no issues. I agree with what others have said; rent a few different models and see what you like best and are the most comfortable on. For me, I knew it had to be a Road King.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:20 PM
philgrocks
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first bike was a V-ROD... Then got a Softail Custom. Love it.

I agree that taking the MSF class first is really important. You will learn loads.

Then for the first year, I am doing what would happen with any new driver (like a teen). For the first year, stay off the highways, try to not ride at night.... Then gradually add these into your rides.... I now am quite comfortable on the road, but it does take time.

If you can rent a couple of rides after the MSF class you will learn about what you want in your ride. If I had done that I would have skipped the V-ROD. The power, technology and styling of the V-ROD are great, but just not my style of bike. In the end the traditional air-cooled V-twin is what I wanted.

Phil

Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decisions, decisions! There are a lot of good points here. I bought a 2007 Sportster XL1200C in March after leaving the house intending to buy a used metric bike for around $3000. I hadn't ridden in 18 years so I wanted to take a year to get back into it and THEN get a Harley. Long story short, the dealer did a great job talking me into something I didn't mean to buy by emphasizing sale prices, warranty, and the joy of a new bike.

I've loved my Sporty around town and anytime the road gets twisty - easily outrun my buddies on their Road King/Glide. However, I feel like a fish out of water anytime I get on the interstate and go 70MPH in a straight line! Sportsters just weren't designed for that kind of riding.

Bottom line - decide what type of riding you'll be doing the majority of the time and buy the newest you can afford. I also highly recommend the MSF course - either before you get your ride or shortly after.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first HD