General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People sitting on your bike without asking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020 | 07:35 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by SirHarley
You have to look at overall homicides vs.per capita numbers. Baltimore 344 vs. Chicago 517 Not per capita numbers. Chicago calls many "Death Investigations" until a coroner says otherwise. By then the news is no longer interested and its back to bashing Trump.

Interesting website with totals and related shooting videos.

https://heyjackass.com/
That is an interesting web site!

There is no question that Chicago has the highest total, but you still need to look at the per capita numbers for a logical analysis. Extreme example: A city of 1,000 with 100 murders is not the same as a city of 1 million with 100 murders.

Old 02-08-2020 | 09:03 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
That is an interesting web site!

There is no question that Chicago has the highest total, but you still need to look at the per capita numbers for a logical analysis. Extreme example: A city of 1,000 with 100 murders is not the same as a city of 1 million with 100 murders.
I get your point but the fact is the murders are taking place in a very specific part of Chicago. Chicagoland is massive. Most of it is perfectly safe. But you head south of Downtown a ways and you get into the ****. Not that it's any different anywhere else. Milwaukee is very safe overall, but there are shootings every night in the hood. And I guess it wouldn't be politically correct to have maps of the most dangerous ghetto numbers. If one were to draw a radius around the high murder centers of any given city, then compare the population in that circle vs homicides, there would be some interesting stats.

The following users liked this post:
RJMsporty (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020 | 09:08 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

My city can outmurder your city ?

Old 02-08-2020 | 09:13 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
I get your point but the fact is the murders are taking place in a very specific part of Chicago. Chicagoland is massive. Most of it is perfectly safe. But you head south of Downtown a ways and you get into the ****. Not that it's any different anywhere else. Milwaukee is very safe overall, but there are shootings every night in the hood. And I guess it wouldn't be politically correct to have maps of the most dangerous ghetto numbers. If one were to draw a radius around the high murder centers of any given city, then compare the population in that circle vs homicides, there would be some interesting stats.
Truth. I spent a few nights in a hotel right close to the University of Chicago in December. I was born in Cook County. As long as you know where you are, you're fine.

I got lost one night in Springfield, IL. Up ahead I saw a fire truck parked, lights on, and a firefighter in turnout gear standing next to it. I figured he could give directions so I pulled up next to him. He looked at me for a second, stuck his head through the open driver's window and said: "What the actual **** are you doing here?!? Get out, now!" I told him I was lost so he gave me directions and said whatever you do, don't stop or turn around.

As long as you know where you are, you're fine. I have Baltimore and St. Louis stories as well. Survived 'em all.

Old 02-08-2020 | 09:22 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
My city can outmurder your city ?
Well if you're claiming Detroit Larry, you may just win.

Truth. I spent a few nights in a hotel right close to the University of Chicago in December. I was born in Cook County. As long as you know where you are, you're fine.

I got lost one night in Springfield, IL. Up ahead I saw a fire truck parked, lights on, and a firefighter in turnout gear standing next to it. I figured he could give directions so I pulled up next to him. He looked at me for a second, stuck his head through the open driver's window and said: "What the actual **** are you doing here?!? Get out, now!" I told him I was lost so he gave me directions and said whatever you do, don't stop or turn around.

As long as you know where you are, you're fine. I have Baltimore and St. Louis stories as well. Survived 'em all.
I had no idea Springfield was that bad. I did one hospital there, can't even remember the name. But I stayed by the highway so no big deal. I've been making it a gas stop on the way to the Ozarks forever. Just goes to show, you never can tell.

I also had some projects in Baltimore. I walked around by the waterfront at night. Had no issues. But I could see it had potential. Fortunately it was raining cats and dogs so the criminals were sitting that night out I think.

Old 02-08-2020 | 09:25 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

You remember the scene in the Chevy Chase movie where he gets his family lost in the hood in his station wagon. That was me in St. Louis, except it was real. I just kept the windows up and kept moving. I made damn sure I knew where I was going after that.

Old 02-08-2020 | 09:37 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

You remember the scene in the Chevy Chase movie where he gets his family lost in the hood in his station wagon. That was me in St. Louis, except it was real. I just kept the windows up and kept moving. I made damn sure I knew where I was going after that.
East St Louis. That place is scary. I had to go to a welding supply place there once. Other than that I haven't been in any bad areas of St Louis. I did some work by George Washington U once. Not great, but not awful. I was surprised it was #1 on the list.

Old 02-08-2020 | 09:44 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Old 02-08-2020 | 09:50 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IBE
You wouldn't believe how many people are sitting on someone else's bikes in Baltimore, Chicago, Springfield, and Saint Louis!

Old 02-08-2020 | 09:52 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

i hear ya man must be tough road to hoe

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (02-08-2020)

Quick Reply: People sitting on your bike without asking.