General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HDF Member of the Month

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 03:25 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Congrats to the newest MoM.

The following users liked this post:
ChopperBill (01-05-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:35 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts

CONGRATULATIONs
to
60GUNNER
for being our official January, 2022 HDF MOM
making him our 23nd WINNER
I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.

I should be dead.
Our new MOM is one ‘sum bitch tuff.

Spoiler

Ouch!
More on this later.
This month we welcome 60Gunner aka Jerry Radke as our 23rd MOM. We say “MOM” most respectfully for he is one tough MFer.

Jer I mean, Mister Jerry Radke Sir, got his HDF User Name from being an M60 Gunner in the military. Don’t know what that is? Google it, but first strap on your seatbelt and be on your best behavior. More on this later.

The above ROLLOVER CRASH darn near killed Jerry. Or at least should have killed him by all rights. His best ‘bud Bentley was with him and was tossed around the cab like a pea in a whistle. Jerry himself got pretty badly banged up. So much so and so severely, that truck driving is no longer an option due to the permanent physical damage he received from that crash.

Sure, Jerry sued and won a pretty sum but still….. What happened? Jer was hauling 50,000 lbs of anhydrous ammonia. A pickup pulling a trailer with sewer pipe pulled out onto the highway, crossing two eastbound lanes into the hammer lane going west right in front of Jer. He swerved trying to avoid it, but smashed into the trailer, jack-knifed and rolled.

This life changing moment is still pretty fresh, considering the surreal event happened a mere 2 ½ years ago.
This event ended his enjoyable fifteen-year truck driving and hauling career.

If you see someone limping, well yeah, that would be Jerry. You think his military experience would have done him in, but no. It was one of the many inconsiderate, brainless, distracted, ******* cagers stateside. Back to Jerry’s military experience…

Jer was an M60 Gunner in the 10th Mountain Division of Charlie Company, 2nd Battalion, 14th Infantry.

If you carried an M60 around all day with a couple of 7.62 NATO round belts slung over your shoulder and around your chest, with a backup buddy nearby with a few more belts…. you would know why you don’t F with those guys. That is some heavy stuff to be totin’ around regardless of the temperature or humidity, sweltering or not, with a smug smile, ready to blow someone’s guts a mile away. Oh. Too graphic? Sorry. Not sorry.

Though military life was tough, it was also mixed with fun. Jungle school in Panama was awesome! Though he said, “Never seen so many grown men cry! I loved it but I've always been a dare devil so. Yeah. Fun times!”

He, as with many veterans who prefer not to talk about their military experience, said “I'd rather not get into too much about it. Lost friends in the Mog.”

Mr. 60Gunner is divorced. He and his boy Bentley are doing just fine. Well, good enough. Better than many.
Jerry has three daughters. To date, he has 11 grandkids. As he puts it, “A full football team of grandkids!”

But to quote Sam Elliot in the opening minutes of “We Were Soldiers” Jer says, “If any you sumsbitches call me grandpa I’ll kill ya.”

After Jerry’s 15 years of truck driving, he went back to wrenching. Loving it so much, he is looking into purchasing a Harley-Davidson repair shop in the Phoenix, AZ area. (Shhhhhh. That was free advertising. And Jerry does not know I added it.) ‘Juss in case anyone reading this did not hear me, HE IS THINKIN’ OF STARTING A HD REPAIR SHOP IN THE PHOENIX AREA.

That’s another thing about our MOM. There are few people on earth who master an activity or profession by just knowing stuff out of nowhere. And in addition, are GREAT at whatever they put their hands on. For example, he never went through all the truck driving school crap. He just took the tests and passed with flying colors.

He was a computer technician. Self-taught. He built homes. Self-taught. He is the quintessential “Jack of all Trades” and pretty damn good at all of them. It is just a natural, built-in “I got this” talent. He would even get some women pregnant by just walking by them, but that is another story.

60Gunner has done a lot of things and gone places many others never get to see, do, or go to. And for that, he considers himself pretty fortunate. Actually, in his words, “While I'm not rich, I do consider myself fortunate. Being voted member of [t]he month here is pretty cool. Thanks to everyone who voted for me. Sure[,] was a surprise!”

His greatest passions are Harleys, guns, muscle cars, and his best friend Bentley. In fact, wherever The Gunner goes, so goes Bentley. The Gunner is actually working on getting Bentley his own bike.
Bentley loves wind in his face. He is always sticking his head out of the truck’s window as he flaps in the breeze.

Motorcycle-wise, 60Gunner started riding when he was 19 years old. He’s owned about a handful of Harleys. Several bikes that stand out are a Shovel, an Iron Head Sporty, and an ’05 Rubber Mount 1200 are among the most memorable of his bikes. His current ride is a ’13 Heritage Softail Classic.
This Heritage has been his long-time dream bike. Since he is single, he is customizing it to exactly the way he would like it.

Yuppers, there is an advantage of being single or having an incredibly understanding wife. In addition to his Heritage, he traded in his Jag for an ’08 Mercedes GL450. He keeps that baby nearby, figuring the Mercedes is better suited for the “…gawd awful winter in the Midwest.”
Jerry’s best time on a bike was back in ’94 when he honeymooned to Sturgis. He and his now ex quickly became friends with a Canadian couple. They hung out with them right up until they all left Sturgis together and rode almost all the way back to Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, where they were living at the time. Just shy of 1,000 miles dead east of Sturgis.

Jerry and his then wife kept on truck’n home and the Canadian couple turned north to cross the border back into Canada. That was a ride with a lot of GOOD times!!

Sadly, The Gunner’s dad passed away last year. One of his fondest memories of his dad was that he believed in each and every one of his kids. That each child could do and become whatever they wanted.

Dad was a great source of Jerry’s inspiration. While the siblings were all pretty competitive, dad had them all building their self-image and confidence to tackle any matter and master it in short order. It apparently worked out quite well. This is likely why The Gunner does very well with whatever job, project, motorcycle or non-motorcycle interest he takes on.
Photo Gallery
Some Photo's Above May Repeat Below.

Ouch

Sporty Built With Hammer 1250 & Jack Hammer 570's Not Much Left From When It Was Stock.

'13 Heritage Currently Torn Down In The Dinning Room For A Major Upgrade. He sure hopes he can remember how to put it back together. Now, where did he put that damn gas cap...???

My, that is a beauty.

The Homestead.

9 & 10 Locked 'n Loaded ALL the time! Ok, maybe not locked. :-)

60GUNNER said, "We take our 2nd amendment rights real serious in IA with a stand your ground law and no permits necessary.
Just the way our forefathers intended. Thank you Kim Reynolds!"

"Let's buy this one dad - Bentley wanders the dealership like he owns the place - he is well known there."

"Let's Go Old Man."

"Schoolin' A New Friend."

60G said, "Get 'er done! I made $500 on this one! A win win for me and my boy!"

60G's '03 Jag XJ8 Sport. "What a fun car to drive! Installed an ADD1 ver. 3.3 dual vacuum port catch can
and designed a custom crankcase breather and electric vacuum pump that kicks on when vacuum drops below 1."

60G's latest addition to the family. An '08 Mercedes GL450.
Please help me give a warm welcome to our
23rd MOM, Jerry “60GUNNER” Radke.

CONGRATULATIONs 60GUNNER
From The HDF Staff

If you would like to recommend a future MOM, please PM BuzzCap7. Thank you...

The following 7 users liked this post by BuzzCap7:
Architect (02-01-2022), Bone Doc (02-01-2022), Hairy Larry (02-13-2022), hvacgaspiping (02-04-2022), MyFavRk (02-13-2022), Paintslinger16 (02-01-2022), soldierbot (02-07-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:37 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Congrats, Jerry!

Old 02-01-2022, 06:02 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,428 Likes on 2,768 Posts

Congratulations!!! I love your home "shop".

Old 02-01-2022, 06:07 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,055 Likes on 4,358 Posts

Congrats on MoM Jerry, great write up. Enjoy the month.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:37 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,001 Likes on 7,622 Posts

Congrats on being the new MOM Jerry, well deserved and quite the job history. Wishing you the best on the new mechanic adventure. Buzz, as always, great write-up.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 09:18 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,932 Likes on 4,974 Posts

Anybody who owns a wiener dog is ok in my book!! Congrats on the MOM, and glad you survived the pains of life!! Thanks for your service, and your sacrifice!

Old 02-01-2022, 10:11 AM
BelchFire
Club Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

AWESOME, 60Gunner! Congratulations! And personally, I appreciate the time you spent in uniform, keeping me and my family safe; thank you VERY much! Bentley looks like a great guy; give him an ear scratch for Belch.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:35 AM
PCboiler
Road Captain
Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts

Congrats Gunner...
Nice workshop there in the dining room. Good to hear Bentley made it through the roll-over, from the first mention, it didn't sound good for him.
Thanks for your service.

Ride On
pc

Old 02-01-2022, 12:24 PM
Grandma1956

Official HDF Hugger
Received 5,267 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Congratulations Jerry. You are a worthy addition to the MOM's.

Quick Reply: HDF Member of the Month