General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HDF Member of the Month

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 09:35 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,055 Likes on 4,358 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
Awaiting the new Member of the Month on this New Year's Day.
I was just thinking the same, maybe Buzz slept in, or still working on it. He certainly puts great efforts into the write up, I know, lol.

Old 01-01-2022, 09:43 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts

Thanks mates........I am here.

I always leave a note on my keyboard and do it 1st thing in the morning. Been working so much on the NEXT MOM, when I saw this note on my keyboard, I got back working on our NEXT MOM.

Sry, posting it now. Takes a while..........be right back and THANK YOU CoolBreeze3646 for PMing me.

(Too much partying last night.)

Old 01-01-2022, 09:47 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,936 Likes on 4,975 Posts

And here I thought you were all hung over, and were unable to see out of one eye!! Good on You, my brother!

Old 01-01-2022, 09:53 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,006 Likes on 7,623 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Thanks mates........I am here.

I always leave a note on my keyboard and do it 1st thing in the morning. Been working so much on the NEXT MOM, when I saw this note on my keyboard, I got back working on our NEXT MOM.

Sry, posting it now. Takes a while..........be right back and THANK YOU CoolBreeze3646 for PMing me.

(Too much partying last night.)
Blame your wife for feeding you too much fizzy stuff, at least that is what I do - lol.

I know there is another great master piece of writing, humor, and information that will be provided to the new MoM.

I expect all previous MoM's appreciate your writing skills and volunteering on HDF along with being the main MoM write-up author and editor.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:04 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts

CONGRATULATIONs to
ChopperBill
for being our official December, 2021 HDF MOM
making him our 22nd WINNER
ChopperBill is likely one of the most iconic “the real thing” bikers I’ve ever met. His real name is, ahhh, ummmm, well, Bill of course.

Bill's 1st Chopper Build.
Born in Glen Falls, New York and before his umbilical dried up and fell off (I’m glad it was only his umbilical cord) his family moved to Greeley, Colorado. If Colorado is not a GREAT Biker-Based location, then I don’t know what is. (Ok, maybe TN and the Carolinas but you know what I mean so shut up and keep reading.)

When ChopperBill entered the workforce, he started by repairing and selling farm equipment. In 1964 he segued to working with two farm equipment dealerships as a parts man, a parts manager, and a salesman until retiring in 2005. I mean, partially retiring in 2005. He went to work part-time in the AG business and started his own ATV repair shop. But alas, he fully retired about 5 years ago.

Presently, The Chop is wintering in Arizona. Aaaaaahhh. Such is the life.

Bill’s User Name here in HDF came from his love for Choppers. His first chopper build was in 1979, selling it 30 years later. Wow! THAT turned out to be a HUGE mistake. To this day, he regrets 86ing that bike.

Talking about mistakes, ChopperBill got married. LOL

And divorced. (Wait for it, there is more.)

Then married again.

Wait for it…………..then divorced again.

What is that ‘ole saying? “Third time’s a charm?” Well, there is credence in that my friends. Bill married for a 3rd time and this marriage is a successful one.

He has 1 child, LOLOLOLOL, sorry for laughing but the next part is too funny not to laugh. (Sorry Bill……but as you know, I always get “last say” writing these things up.) Chopper’s one and only child stopped talking to him when Trump was elected president. LOLOLOLOL!!! ( Sorry……….’juss too funny. And no, The Chop, I am not taking this out of your MOM write up.)

I ‘juss gotta say it again. The Chop’s one and only daughter stopped talking to him when Trump was elected president. Hell yeah! The second time saying it was ‘juss as funny! LOL!!! Sorry, but I digress…….

There is that proverbial silver lining. His daughter is now just “coming around” by emailing and texting short messages to Bill, so the relationship is on the mend.

Back in ’63, Bill went to enlist in the Army. Due to a hip problem, he was not accepted and subsequently classified as 4F. This classification was not to his liking and he regrets it to this day (but the Army doesn’t.)

I won’t say how old The Chopper is 114 but he has been riding for 63 years. In that time, he has owned Harleys, a Yamaha, a Honda, a BSA, a Suzuki, a Vespa, and a Montgomery Wards bike. (WTF is a Montgomery Wards bike? A bike with a pink pleated skirt on it?)

His favorite bike? Well, it’s gotta be that dag gummit Harley Chopper he built years back. Held onto it for 30 years as stated above then sadly and to this day regrettably sold.

The Chopper’s present ride? A ’91 Custom Soft Tail. Oh yeah, sweet……..

For epic rides, The Chop said it was his first time to Sturgis back in ‘69. OH FREEK’n YES! More on this later via a pictorial below.

Before leaving for Sturgis, The Chop rounded up some of his buds and then headed out on a wonderful and ever so memorable journey. “Hear tell, that is what may have given birth to the Easy Rider movie in ‘69.” Ok, those dates do not quite line up but stop complaining and get back to reading The Chop’s story. (Sheesh, tough crowd here.)

ChopperBill’s rides to Sturgis in the late 60’s and 70’s were so much fun and eventful, he could (and still may) write a book about it.

First year out, he and his buds stayed at a KOA campground, if he recollects correctly. (Kind of hard to remember when you are plastered every night…..and most of the day. To say nuth’n ‘bout toke, toke, toke, toke. Shhhhh, The Chop does not know I added the toke part in. LOL! Peeeeeooooowwww…… wait, where the hell am I going? I gutta write this stupid thing!) Back to the story again.

The Chop had a night in Sturgis that was as iconically famous and unforgettable. They ended up in a local bike club’s campground. Yes, a biker club that owns the campground. (I know what you are thinking. I never heard of this either.)

After a series of events in Sturgis like a bar fight and other acts of malfeasance, one of the clubbers wrecked his bike on the way back to the camp site. That bike this chap wrecked; well, it was a brand new ‘68 Harley FX Super Glide (with a fiberglass boat tail) with a (get this) a temporary tag that said “homemade”! ß Ever hear of such a thing? Now that does not happen very often.

When ChopperBill ‘n his buds… (ß OH WAIT! That could be a good name for Bill’s book. Huh, no charge for that Bill. Just a kind “mention” in your book would be sufficient.) Back to the story. When ChopperBill arrived back at the biker owned campground, they were fed burgers without buns, then were sent back on the road for a while because the bikers who own the campground had some club business to take care of.

As The Chopper and his buds were mounting up to leave the biker club’s campground, one of the club members gave them a death stare while flicking his switch blade open and closed. There is more to this story but, ahhh, that will be left for another time.

When it became time to head back home, one of his bud’s panhead blew up. They had to pop off and stick the front wheel in the trunk of their Pontiac support vehicle and trailer the bike back.

1 of Bill's FAV PIXs. A bro lost his wheel coming back from Sturgis.
Then as luck would have it, the clutch in The Chop’s own bike, his BSA at the time, started to slip. So, they pulled off the road. The tools came out, clutch work was performed and the bike was up and running again just fine.
But wait, we are not done. Also on the way back (or trying to make their way back would be more accurate) The Chop looks back to find only one other Bro on his BSA and the Pontiac support vehicle. No one else. Huh. WTF?!?! Where is the rest of the crew? F THEM!

So, truck’n down the road, The Chop and his bro would pull alongside the support vehicle for beers and cigarettes as they rode. (Hey, you use a support vehicle how you want to and The Chop & his bro will use it how they want to. Stop judging and keep reading.)

They were in fine shape at this point. Well, good ‘nuff shape anyway. No, with all those beers, that is not right either. Let’s just say they made it to their last bar stop just before making it back to their hometown ‘bout 3 sheets to the wind.

Considering where and how they parked their bikes at this last watering hole, they had sense enough to call their wives for a ride the rest of the way home. Lifting their bikes off their kickstands and aiming the forks in the homeward bound direction was very unlikely to happen in any way they’d live to tell about.

Just as well. When their gals arrived, they witnessed their better half’s chugging beer from some unknown guy’s boot.

ChopperBill told me their wives were really proud of them both for chugging beer boot style. I was not sure if The Chop meant that seriously or sarcastically so I will leave that to you, the reader. Hey, again, no judging, right?

The following years The Chop figured it was likely smarter and safer to just stay at the World Famous “Buffalo Chip” Campground or one of the other local campgrounds. And what a GREAT decision and a BLAST it was! Yeeee HAAAAAAWW………… NAKED gals everywhere! Naked gals everywhere! Naked gals everywhere! Did I say Naked gals everywhere? AWESOME! If you missed it, NAKED GALS EVERY FEEK’n WHERE!!!

There was a “Bus Top” dancing contest. DOUBLE AWESOME!!! The Chop would not allow me to say how the gals picked up bottles of beer and wine from the top of the bus but it was WICKED FUN and hysterical watching them try!!! LOL.

The above was followed with “…evil things…” that caused the city to close down the campground. Sturgis was never the same since. Hint, the activities at this campground would make Woodstock look like a Bible Revival. ‘juss say’n.

In one of Bill’s annual rides to Sturgis, the guys took their wives. (Gee, I wonder whose idea that was.) The gals rode their own bikes, which was a rarity “back in the day.”

They stayed in a Rapid City hotel. Sadly, it rained incessantly. For safety’s sake, they rented a car to get around and see the sites. Nope. Nope. Nope. It is just not the same in a cage.

Another year with a group of guys, it just would not stop raining again. ALL of the chaps other than our ChopperBill said F THIS and loaded their bikes on their support trailer and headed off to what had become their standard watering holes heading back home in the rain. Slowly. Until Bill noticed, the weeny non-rain riders left Bill riding home in the rain all by himself. Yeah, the support vehicle left our buddy The Chop riding alone……..solo.

THAT (and rightly so, I might add) pissed Bill off so much it took him a long time to get over being abandoned by his friends. Since that event, The Chop never rode in a big group again.

The 50th anniversary ride to Sturgis “…was ok…” except for the fact that one of his bros was thrown in jail for a DUI. Since then, ChopperBill still rides quite often to Sturgis but not as much as he used to.

Each subsequent ride to Sturgis (of which there were too many to remember as they mush together) it became more and more crowded as Sturgis evolved into what it is today.

ChopperBill became a H.O.G. member for a few years. But it just was not the way he rolls.

Now, being 100% retired, his non-biker activities include camping and ATVing.

Lastly, want to know something really cool? As Bill said, his first chopper build was put into a “…Chopped Harley's book from a couple of guys from England. Looks kinda crappy compared to my next updates.” Now THAT is AWESOME!!!! Almost as AWESOME as our own ChopperBill, who we all know and love.
Photo Gallery
(Some photo's may repeat.)
2nd Chopper Build..
. . . Bought and traded this for the bagger below.

. .
Current bike before changing out the pipes.
After changing out the pipes.
The crew. 1st trip to Sturgis 2 BSAa and a Pan Head FRONT WHEEL (REMOVED).

Bill in Sturgis possibly Deadwood. Unknown date. Notice the lack of bikes back then.
Somewhere near Silverton, CO. Oh Yeah! Lucky b'tard!
. .
Around St. Almo or thereabouts.

The Flat Top Mountains in CO.
Spending the winter in AZ.
Below are a variety of PIXS.
BROs lost to cancer or 'juss disappeared.
No Particular Order.

From The HDF Staff
CONGRATULATIONs ChopperBill

If you would like to recommend a future MOM, please PM BuzzCap7. Thank you...

The following 8 users liked this post by BuzzCap7:
Architect (01-03-2022), Bone Doc (01-03-2022), CaffeineBuzz (01-04-2022), Hairy Larry (01-01-2022), hellonewman (01-01-2022), hvacgaspiping (01-03-2022), roadrunner1414 (01-03-2022), sailmotion (01-04-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-01-2022, 11:29 AM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 4,605 Likes on 3,219 Posts

Congratulations Bill. Great story

Old 01-01-2022, 11:52 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,006 Likes on 7,623 Posts

Congrats Bill on being the Member of the Month! Great write-up also Buzz.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:59 AM
Grandma1956

Official HDF Hugger
Received 5,267 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Congratulations Bill. Another worthy MoM. Looks to me like you have had quite an eventful life and plenty of good times, so far.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:03 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts

Congratulations Bill and welcome to the club!

Awesome story and I appreciate you sharing.

Nice job as usual Buzz.

Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2022, 12:16 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Congrats to Bill!

Quick Reply: HDF Member of the Month