General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Microwaving a moldy helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 10:12 AM
One Wire
Road Captain

Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

Or maybe the helmet manufacturers say to replace the helmet at a specified time because their lawyers told them they have to. Somebody injured while wearing a helmet that was deteriorated due to age, and they don't have those warnings to replace them at X years, and they get sued for not mentioning there is a safe lifespan for the product they sell. IDK

The following 2 users liked this post by One Wire:
ole_phart (01-10-2020), sunderhill (01-12-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 10:39 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,970 Likes on 4,162 Posts

Lady at Daytona Helmets told me any helmet that did not have the DOT under the gel coat was expired and should be replaced. That was probably 5 or more years back.

I had called them because a Officer had questioned my Carbon Fiber Helmet in a road check during a major holiday.

What is interesting was he ask me if he could examine my helmet. That it appeared that someone had put a DOT sticker on it.. I told him I was on my bike and always wore it. He laughed and told me..good answer.. Ask me to pull to the side and he needed to check something on his computer.

Came back and ask me for my driver license and registration. Told him it was in my office backpack/briefcase. After digging thru it, it was not there. It was 1AM and just got off work. Had locked my wallet in my desk and forgot it.

Told me all was good but he had to cite me for not carrying it sine the bosses expected a certain amount of tickets. Show it in court and all would be good.

All day in traffic court is entertaining. And the officer true to his word spoke to the judge telling him I had forgotten to get it out of my desk at the end of work.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-10-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:43 AM
One Wire
Road Captain

Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
All day in traffic court is entertaining.
It sure is. I have had to spend a day in court for a traffic ticket before. You sure do see some damn characters there.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:51 AM
cruisn
Tourer
Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

This winter is making people insane.

The following users liked this post:
fxdup (01-11-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 02:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Lady at Daytona Helmets told me any helmet that did not have the DOT under the gel coat was expired and should be replaced. That was probably 5 or more years back.

I had called them because a Officer had questioned my Carbon Fiber Helmet in a road check during a major holiday.

What is interesting was he ask me if he could examine my helmet. That it appeared that someone had put a DOT sticker on it.. I told him I was on my bike and always wore it. He laughed and told me..good answer.. Ask me to pull to the side and he needed to check something on his computer.

Came back and ask me for my driver license and registration. Told him it was in my office backpack/briefcase. After digging thru it, it was not there. It was 1AM and just got off work. Had locked my wallet in my desk and forgot it.

Told me all was good but he had to cite me for not carrying it sine the bosses expected a certain amount of tickets. Show it in court and all would be good.

All day in traffic court is entertaining. And the officer true to his word spoke to the judge telling him I had forgotten to get it out of my desk at the end of work.
Originally Posted by One Wire
It sure is. I have had to spend a day in court for a traffic ticket before. You sure do see some damn characters there.
Last time I decided to go to court over a ticket I spent a while watching before my case was called up, judge asked me if I had anything to say about it. My reply was " after watching your morning nothing I could say you haven't heard already so I'll not add to it ". Looked over his glasses at me and dismissed everything but a token court cost. Cop wasn't amused but it really was a bogus make a point ticket anyway.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:29 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Hmm. I bought a Bell “500” helmet a couple years back and there was no “gel coat” over the DOT label. Same with the Skid Lid brand half helmet I bought last summer. On the other hand the obviously fake “Big Al” half helmet I bought last year has gel coat over the DOT label. Go figure.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:49 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,611 Likes on 1,617 Posts

As long as we are talking helmets here, i just got to looking at some of my many helmets and a few are pure junk. Some of them are over 50 years old and have been hanging on a nail in the garage. I threw a couple of them away as the inside of them was completely shot. Oh well, my little beanie is still good after only 25 years.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:13 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,667 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten
So a 10 year old brand new helmet is no longer considered safe? The internal material has degraded?
Just buy a new helmet. Maybe take up a gofundme if you need the help that bad. I will be the first to donate.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Just buy a new helmet. Maybe take up a gofundme if you need the help that bad. I will be the first to donate.
OK...I also need Apes a 3 day cruise to anywhere a pizza with everything.....and a coke....Thanks

The following 2 users liked this post by Jonny Rotten:
Cap77 (01-11-2020), Iron lHorse (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 09:41 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

I ran my skanky helmets through the dishwasher (yes, my wife was there) and it cleaned them up really well. Just remember to take it out before the dry cycle.

The hydrogen peroxide idea is a good one, the peroxide will consume the organic mold.
I had heavy black mold in my attic, I sprayed it down 3 times with straight bleach and it totally disappeared after the 3rd dousing.

Quick Reply: Microwaving a moldy helmet