General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Microwaving a moldy helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 10:43 AM
One Wire
Road Captain

Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The whole concept of wearing a helmet that is ( or has been ) full of mold just sounds gross to me :<(
Yeah, that too. I would start feeling **** growing inside my ears and brain, knowing how I am.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:57 AM
Aitch
Tourer
Received 308 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by AliensilverFXDBI
Saturate it with febreeze then put it on a heater vent over night.
I was thinking Febreeze as well but I don't know what the heater would do. Just let it air dry naturally.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:59 AM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,747 Posts

if it were me (but its not) i would hang it on my Harley wall and just buy a new helmet. hey you might like those new heads up display helmets.who knows. but they are costly

Old 01-09-2020, 11:01 AM
fxdup
Road Warrior
Received 950 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
At least a dog didn’t **** in it
For the win!

Old 01-09-2020, 11:51 AM
merlin 2
Tourer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

take it to an ice rink that sponsors hockey some have a machine that will destink hockey equipment, it works real good

Old 01-09-2020, 12:36 PM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

Now I'm curious about helmet lifespans.
I came across this study. Its on bicycle helmets but they tested the EPS foam on its own and it showed no deterioration over decades of use. Although its bicycle helmets I would think its the same for motorcycle helmets, the foam is the foam.
Its a 2 minute read. Curious what the forum thinks about the study

I also called HJC which my helmet is and they said they post no use by or expiration date on their helmets. He did say he would reach out to the engineers and Email me back

https://helmets.org/helmetlineraging.htm

Last edited by Jonny Rotten; 01-09-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:51 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

industry standards say 5 years on a helmet, and thats only if you have not droped it. check it out on line

The following users liked this post:
hvacgaspiping (01-10-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 12:57 PM
One Wire
Road Captain

Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

HELMET REPLACEMENT (ALL MODELS)

Although your HJC Helmet is constructed with the best materials available to offer a long-lasting product, it will eventually need to be replaced. Immediately replace your helmet if:
  • It has suffered an impact. Your helmet is only designed for ONE impact. An impact may fracture the outer shell or compress the impact absorbing liner. You may not be able to detect this damage. Any impact in a crash or a drop from as low as 4 feet is enough to damage your helmet.
  • The shell, lining, or retention system is damaged. The helmet shell, the impact absorbing lining, and the retention system must be in good condition to provide you with the most protection.
Even if your helmet has not been damaged, it needs to be replaced every 3 to 5 years depending on how much you use it. Over time, UV rays and adhesive and component aging will damage your helmet. Wearing a damaged helmet may increase your risk of serious injury or death in an accident.

If you are unsure if you need to replace your helmet, contact HJC America before using your helmet again.

https://www.hjchelmets.us/helmet-usage/

Old 01-09-2020, 12:59 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,674 Likes on 4,224 Posts

You deserve a new helmet my friend. Go on and get you one. If you have a mold allergy, you'll never feel 100% comfortable with that lid.

As for dropping a helmet....I'm sorry, but I call bullshit. No offense intended toward you, IBE, but I think that is just bunk. If a helmet is so delicate that one drop compromises it's integrity, I have to wonder how useful it would have been in the first place.

hvacgaspiping (01-10-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 01:06 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

well i wouldnt think so but thats what i read. i really dont know for sure. but dosent matter to me i dont wear one. but on trips i do take one with me. and i have dropped it and iam not replacing it.hey i have fallen on my head from 4 feet and iam good

Last edited by IBE; 01-09-2020 at 02:52 PM.
CaffeineBuzz (01-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Microwaving a moldy helmet