Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Microwaving a moldy helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 07:41 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,262 Likes on 3,162 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten
So a 10 year old brand new helmet is no longer considered safe? The internal material has degraded?
I would think that the mold would have compromised the foam. But I would try to clean it first to see.
You'd want to kill the mold not cook it (dry it out). Your perspiration will reactivate it.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,907 Likes on 4,109 Posts

Stick it in the dishwasher. That D ring in most modern microwaves won't hurt but i would not do that. Foil will. Even a spoon in a bowl of oatmeal does not seem to hurt anything.
Maybe it's just mine but it has a metal shelf that you can use in it.

If you are hard pressed, that striafoam is usually only glued in with a patch. You can slide a flexible thin blade down and work around and it will pop out. Then you can peal back and pull cloth out and wash it. The striafoam will clean up with dish detergent. Glue the foam back in with something appropriate.

Helmet do have a manufacturer recommend replacement of five years. And doing above surely reduces it's safety value to zero.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-08-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:10 PM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

Getting way off topic but now you got me thinking the helmet is compromised due to the age.... I just read an article on Bike Bandit (link) on the 5 year rule. Teir take seems to be it's more from use and sitting on a shelf doesnt degrade the helmet much. Again this is a brand new never seen sunlight helmet. Interior looks new. It just smells like mold. That I dont want on my head.

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/how-...orcycle-helmet

Old 01-08-2020, 08:14 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,137 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Toss and get something new.

The following users liked this post:
hvacgaspiping (01-10-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Shane T
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I would try steaming the inside really well and then dry with a hair dryer. I had a leather cycle jacket that had some mold on the leather and the liner smelled of mildew. Steamed it with a clothes steamer and wipe it down. Took care of the odor.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:08 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,060 Likes on 2,030 Posts

You have a screen name of Johnny rotten and you're crying about a little stink in your helmet??? Seriously...scrape out anything that looks like it doesn't belong and put the friggin thing on your head and go ride. If that doesn't work for you I'll post the address where you can send in your man card. Lol...

The following 2 users liked this post by Screamin beagle:
Buster (01-08-2020), Campy Roadie (01-09-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 09:17 PM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
You have a screen name of Johnny rotten and you're crying about a little stink in your helmet??? Seriously...scrape out anything that looks like it doesn't belong and put the friggin thing on your head and go ride. If that doesn't work for you I'll post the address where you can send in your man card. Lol...
Its mold and I'm allergic to it so I'd rather kill it then wrap it around my head...I get itchy and funky feeling around it. Which is why I'd be willing to stick a helmet in a microwave LOL

Old 01-08-2020, 09:22 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,631 Likes on 1,254 Posts

How about clean it with some soapy water and bleach in the bathtub . Drying it the best you can with 2 or 3 beach towels. And then finish drying it in the oven set at 125* for a couple of hours .

Old 01-08-2020, 09:33 PM
bburky
Road Warrior
Received 882 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by soldierbot
If you microwave the helmet, please take a video to post here. This, I gotta see.

Actually, I would get a bucket with hot water, a little bleach, and some laundry soap. Scrub it around and let it sit in this mixture overnight. Rinse with clean water and use a hairdryer on low heat aimed at the inside of the helmet to dry
Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten
I dug up my 3/4 (brand new never worn) helmet for some winter riding. Its been in the basement 10 years. Its got that basement mold smell. Like everything else you leave in a basement, cardboard ETC.
I cant leave it out in the sun because its winter.
I was thinking of sticking it in the microwave to zap the mold. Can a helmet get damaged in a microwave? Not going to keep it in long enough to melt the plastic parts. Just a few short 20 seconds bursts

Or any other ideas? The liner is non removable. Didnt want to spray bleach on it.

Edit I forgot about the metal D rings so there goes that idea. Open to ideas about killing the mold in the liner
First of all you must be a cheap b@$+urd ( lol) for even considering saving this helmet, but if you insist use this product...CONCROBIUM...sold at home depot.It comes in a white spray bottle with green & blue logos..GUARANTEE this will work, it is specifically designed for mold. I have used it on older leathers...POOF...no more smell.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:39 PM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer

Originally Posted by bburky
First of all you must be a cheap b@$+urd ( lol) for even considering saving this helmet, but if you insist use this product...CONCROBIUM...sold at home depot.It comes in a white spray bottle with green & blue logos..GUARANTEE this will work, it is specifically designed for mold. I have used it on older leathers...POOF...no more smell.
Its a new helmet I bought and never used....not sure how wanting to use it makes me cheap. The Concrobium looks like it might be what I'm looking for...thanks

Last edited by Jonny Rotten; 01-08-2020 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FXDXTSport (01-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Microwaving a moldy helmet