General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat wrap help finding a product///show me your heat wrap

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 05:13 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

I have used the DEI Ti wrap as well as other on my drag race car. Both for keeping heat in the tubes to help with turbo spooling, but the exhaust is also in close proximity to body work and some fuel lines, so it help keeping some heat away from that. The DEI Ti is quite a bit better than some of the cheaper stuff. The thing is, you gotta keep the header dry, because it will hold moisture. I unwrap the header at the end of every season, inspect it, sand rust and repaint it with several coats of header paint before rewrapping.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:10 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,205 Likes on 2,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Bullock
Not a fad when your exhaust doesn't come with heat shields and you ride it frequently
Say what???

Old 12-27-2019, 02:21 AM
Jake Bullock
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
I have used the DEI Ti wrap as well as other on my drag race car. Both for keeping heat in the tubes to help with turbo spooling, but the exhaust is also in close proximity to body work and some fuel lines, so it help keeping some heat away from that. The DEI Ti is quite a bit better than some of the cheaper stuff. The thing is, you gotta keep the header dry, because it will hold moisture. I unwrap the header at the end of every season, inspect it, sand rust and repaint it with several coats of header paint before rewrapping.
im hoping I get minimal rust if any with the pipes being stainless. Mainly putting it on to save my legs

Old 12-27-2019, 06:52 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 540 Posts

I have seen exhaust wrap that destroyed pipes on motorcycles. (Drag cars/bike don't run or sit in the rain.)
The pipes were made w/ S/S. Water gets trapped inside and just eats away the pipe without you even knowing it until it's too late.

Your Bike, Your Choice.

Just saying.....

YB

Last edited by 09 YELLOWBIRD; 12-27-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Tomahawk309
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 72 Posts

Not real impressed with it. I bought my 2/1 pipe used from a forum member. He had put wrap on it for the heat, no heat shields. I unwrapped it and the finish was already messed up and he had only a couple of hundred miles on the wrap. I re-wrapped it with the DEI black titanium. It is starting to fade to gray after only a couple thousand miles. The gold color may be better idk. The stuff is garbage imo.
​​​

Last edited by Tomahawk309; 12-27-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:04 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
Drag cars/bike don't run or sit in the rain.

YB
Obviously, you've never been to the Bakersfield March Meet! Not having a rain delay is an anomaly!

Old 12-27-2019, 11:02 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Obviously, you've never been to the Bakersfield March Meet! Not having a rain delay is an anomaly!
NOPE!

but thanks for the info.

YB

Old 12-27-2019, 11:31 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,983 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Bullock
Not a fad when your exhaust doesn't come with heat shields and you ride it frequently
Use that stuff your committed permanently, ever seen a set of pipes after that ***** been on them a while ? Rusts the hell out of them.....

Old 12-27-2019, 08:30 PM
Truenorthstrong
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O ya wraps will eat your pipes I had a lovely crack on my front pipe that was rusted bad

Old 12-28-2019, 02:52 AM
Naz
Road Captain

Received 759 Likes on 319 Posts

Same experience here -- wrap = rust. Wrap has it's place and the Titanium is the best I've found. And the black is the absolute worst, like dusting your pipes with carbon black that will get on everything that touches them.

I've used the wrap on race car headers but as already mentioned, they seldom get wet so tend to last longer. Helped my grandson re-wrap the pipes on the Dyna he just bought and just as expected -- rusty pipes under the old wrap. And even stainless pipes are not immune. There are a lot of different stainless materials and the grade of austenitic SS typically used for exhaust is not the most corrosion resistant so don't count on SS pipes being corrosion free with wrap.

Also, the wrap is friable (some worse than others) so wear at least a dust mask when using it and soak it in water before wrapping.

Quick Reply: Heat wrap help finding a product///show me your heat wrap