General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about very fat tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 04:25 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,350 Likes on 6,143 Posts

Personally I feel like the fatter tire bikes handle worse than the skinny tire bikes. I've owned 7 HDs and my current 09 with the 180 tire is the first with a wider tire (its funny that I remember when a 180 was a fat tire LOL).
Any way, I think the older 140 tires on my 03 and 04 baggers handled better. The 180 feels like I need to hold it down more than I ever did with the skinnier tire bikes. Not like its trying to stand back up when I'm in a curve or anything, just that it takes more effort to hold a line when I push the bars to make my turn.

I can also "feel" when the 180 starts to reach its sidewall. Theres a spot in the tire where the middle flatter section of tire transitions to the curved rounded sidewall and I can feel when my bike hits that point.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:56 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
To answer one impolite fellow, no I am not in prison but I don't like to test ride bikes unless I am really in the market for a new one which I absolutely am not at the present time. But I was curious about this fat tire issue -- for a particular reason, by the way. I have been working on my U-Turns with my Road King, and I was wondering how fat tires might affect that. I have finally got my Road King U-Turns down to where I can do a U Turn into a two-lane road. May not sound like much, but I used to need 3 lanes.
I got a breakout AND a RoadKing. I wish I could manage my RoadKing in a u turn like I can the Softail!

Old 01-05-2020, 09:08 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

My 13 Fatboy had a 200 rear and it handled fine but wore out at less than 4K. I'm an old fart, don't ride aggressively and keep pressures correct. I replaced it with a Michelin Commander and it had 7K and lots of tread left when I traded it last fall. Personally I don't like the looks of the new Fatboy which is why one isn't in the garage. Tires, nacelle, etc. suck IMHO.

To each their own though.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:28 AM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 609 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Personally I feel like the fatter tire bikes handle worse than the skinny tire bikes. I've owned 7 HDs and my current 09 with the 180 tire is the first with a wider tire (its funny that I remember when a 180 was a fat tire LOL).
Any way, I think the older 140 tires on my 03 and 04 baggers handled better. The 180 feels like I need to hold it down more than I ever did with the skinnier tire bikes. Not like its trying to stand back up when I'm in a curve or anything, just that it takes more effort to hold a line when I push the bars to make my turn.

I can also "feel" when the 180 starts to reach its sidewall. Theres a spot in the tire where the middle flatter section of tire transitions to the curved rounded sidewall and I can feel when my bike hits that point.
Finally, someone who agrees with me. I've ridden close to a dozen '09 and up touring bikes and everyone of them seems to want to stand up in the corners. After riding the new frame my old `96 feels like a sport bike.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:24 AM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

The first time I rode my 2018 Breakout it was a whoa! moment as I couldn’t lean in and turn sharply in the parking lot on the way to the street. Immediately noticeable. Now I’m used to it and can u-turn or whatever. It is slower in turns... not as flickable as other bikes on winding country roads, but that suits me fine. And I do scrape the pegs now and then but that’s OK too as part of the relatively poor lean angle. Though the Softail suspension was VASTLY improved in 2018, this is still no sport bike.

I understand that earlier years had a flatter-crowned tire which made it worse, causing even slower response to leaning, plus the stand-up that some describe, which is why going with different tires on those older models is apparently popular. Makes sense but I don’t have personal experience.

Finally, the rear tire has to be replaced during every 5,000 mile service. They don’t last. All that being said, I enjoy this bike very much for what it is. Sport bikes are better at sport riding and touring bikes are better at touring. This one is it’s own kind of fun and with unique customizations to suit my needs, is highly satisfying in ways that sport and touring bikes are not.

The following users liked this post:
romigula (08-04-2022)
Old 01-05-2020, 02:59 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

I like my fxbr just fine. I don't mind the "different" handling at at. Well worth the trade off for KOOLFACTOR!

Last edited by Superdog3:16; 01-05-2020 at 03:10 PM.
sire86 (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 04:41 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
So it's feasible that you can take a demo ride, you just don't want to bother a dealer and take a brand new bike out on the road that you currently have no intention of buying. I can accept that, that's actually admirable that you don't want to waste the dealers time and put miles on a new bike that someone else will have to buy.

But that is also exactly what the Demo Truck is for. They have a bunch of bikes they take around the country for people to try out.

Another option is to test ride a used bike. Next time you are at a dealership and they have a fat rear tire bike sitting there be straight up with them, say "I have no intention of buying that, but I've always wondered how they handle, can I take it out for a ride?" I've done that in the past and every time the salesman has happily let me take the bike out. Just an FYI, salesman don't just have to sell bikes, they have to look like they are tying to sell bikes to their sales manager. If it's a slow day, middle of the week and the salesman are sitting around doing nothing the sales manger gets on their ***.
Actually, sales people actually get paid for test rides. Something stupid like $10, but the do get it. That's part of the reason why you fill out the form when you do one. Plus of course in case you ride off or kill a bus full of nuns on their bike...

Old 01-07-2020, 10:33 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
Good info, everyone. This all leads to the next question: what is the point, if any, of extra wide tires? What do they give you?
Besides the look, which I of course like, I think it's a smoother ride than on skinnier tires.

Last edited by mmancuso; 01-07-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:12 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,101 Likes on 4,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallard Slayer
nothing to do with handling, but I just prefer the look of the narrower tires on a HD to me it looks right? old school I guess?, but the wider rubber looks good on some jap bikes and extreme customs.
Got to agree. Never bought into the big tire fad.

Mallard Slayer (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:42 AM
Oakers3
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,787 Likes on 917 Posts

Have a 240 on one of my bikes and had it leaned over enough that the road kicked my foot off the peg.

Superdog3:16 (01-07-2020)