General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MoCo Stepping Up Efforts to Bring New Blood to the Brand

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 01:01 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 16,988 Likes on 8,639 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Don't want to throw gas on a fire, but I think brand loyalty is a thing if the past. Kids today research products before the buy and switch brands at a drop of a hat.. I have three kids, and my brother.has three. My granddaughter rode with me when she was younger.. None of them ride even though they did. No interest in motorcycles regardless of what it says on the tank at all. Generational differences, IMHO.. I hope it works out for Harley, but thinking you can manufacturer new riders, IMHO is wishful thinking..
​​​​​​
........ And it`s also that way because of people being pissed at HD over design and service problems as well as the high prices...

Old 06-27-2022, 01:13 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 16,988 Likes on 8,639 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I wonder if I count as "New Blood"? I don't think I do because I grew up around harleys, MC people, and chopper builders on TV and Magzines on Grandapa's coffee table.
But I definitely count as a younger rider, being 32(got he bike at 31).
Also, yalls laughing at Katy Perry and ****, while ya forgetting a bunch of yall crusty *** ***** bought a harley because of the Terminator in a freaking popcorn flick movie.
My crusty *** was on a Harley in the `50s a long time before the Terminator movie came out. I`ve always owned motorcycles until just a few years ago when I realized I was at the point where age for me was a problem with riding a motorcycle. I still love `em though. I`ve owned other brands beside HD, but I always came back. It was still more than brand loyalty that did that. A Harley still has its own mystique that no other brand can duplicate. Sometimes I still wanna look for a Shovel, but I know better.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:14 PM
Twowheelfever
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII;[url=tel:20687726
20687726[/url]]Comparing unlike bikes isn't a reasonable comparison.
You're acting like only harley does this while ignoring that other companies that make bikes you pointed out also do THE EXACT SAME THING.
Your point is that you wanna brand bash but you don't know enough of what you're talking about to make a good point.
I’m not here to brand bash. I’m in the process of buying a Nightster, I’m on your side. I want Harley to succeed. And that’s the point I’m making. I probably wasn’t very clear so I’ll clarify.

For the cheapest base model bike you can buy from Harley, you’re paying $13k out the door ( got a quote today while at the dealer for the nightster). At that price, other brands cruisers, even Indian, include the features I stated and many of the cheaper cruisers include most of them. The cruisers you pointed out to me are out the door below what MSRP is for the 883. It makes the pill easier to swallow when you don’t get all those features.

For that 13k Harley should be providing all those features standard. The fact I would have to pay extra for abs and then need another $400 for factory upgrades to LED headlight, and still not have most other desirable features is ridiculous at that price point. If the bike was 10k out the door without those features it would be more convincing for most to make the jump to Harley or start on a Harley.

Yes there are some who only want a cruiser, but I can promise you way more people are looking to just get in two wheels. When I started, I was set on cruisers but then ended up on a ninja 250 because it ended up working out. I’ve since owned multiple cruisers and crotch rockets. ADV, standard and sport touring are huge competitors to cruisers. So to say I can’t compare a sportster to an MT07 or Vstrom type bike is naive.

But I guess hiring celebrities to do ads will work out better for Harley to get new riders according to this article.

Last edited by Twowheelfever; 06-27-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:00 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,792 Likes on 1,194 Posts

No manufacturer can beat the style, feel and sound of a H-D 45 degree v-twin. Many manufacturers can match and/or exceed the Rev Max bikes. H-D is in for a challenge as we boomers put the jiffy stand down for the last time.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:38 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
No manufacturer can beat the style, feel and sound of a H-D 45 degree v-twin. Many manufacturers can match and/or exceed the Rev Max bikes. H-D is in for a challenge as we boomers put the jiffy stand down for the last time.
but they don't have to beat the style, feel, or sound. Buyers out there who are not already Harley fans take one look at the price and walk away. Back when I was in the service, late eighties, you never saw one on base or if you did it was a rat bike. These were young men and women with no real bills, lived in dorms, and had what amounted to a 1k-2k a month allowance. It was all Japanese with the odd ball beemer tossed in and that one guy with a Triumph.