General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MoCo Stepping Up Efforts to Bring New Blood to the Brand

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 10:00 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,319 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Don't want to throw gas on a fire, but I think brand loyalty is a thing if the past. Kids today research products before the buy and switch brands at a drop of a hat.. I have three kids, and my brother.has three. My granddaughter rode with me when she was younger.. None of them ride even though they did. No interest in motorcycles regardless of what it says on the tank at all. Generational differences, IMHO.. I hope it works out for Harley, but thinking you can manufacturer new riders, IMHO is wishful thinking..
​​​​​​
Okay, I'll join the thread resurrection. With HD, it wasn't just about brand loyalty; it was about a biker culture and a blue - collar middle class that is pretty much gone. I don't know if the new owners of HD really understand the socio - economic changes that have occurred with the de-industrialization of America.
Brand loyalty is a fickle thing. My Harley brand loyalty died with my AMF Sportster. Now I like Harleys but I have no loyalty to the brand, same with BMW when they killed the Airheads. I still own and ride BMWs but my passion for the brand is gone. Maybe I'm just too old to be starry eyed about anything.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (06-27-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 10:21 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,579 Posts

I wonder if I count as "New Blood"? I don't think I do because I grew up around harleys, MC people, and chopper builders on TV and Magzines on Grandapa's coffee table.
But I definitely count as a younger rider, being 32(got he bike at 31).
Also, yalls laughing at Katy Perry and ****, while ya forgetting a bunch of yall crusty *** ***** bought a harley because of the Terminator in a freaking popcorn flick movie.

The following 2 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
maxxym (06-27-2022), WorkForIt (06-27-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 10:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I wonder if I count as "New Blood"? I don't think I do because I grew up around harleys, MC people, and chopper builders on TV and Magzines on Grandapa's coffee table.
But I definitely count as a younger rider, being 32(got he bike at 31).
Also, yalls laughing at Katy Perry and ****, while ya forgetting a bunch of yall crusty *** ***** bought a harley because of the Terminator in a freaking popcorn flick movie.
Yes you qualify as some of that new blood and may you keep the bug long as the rest of us crusty *** old *****

Darlin, my first harley was a rat bastard oil leaking no running chopper I was tickled pink to get my hands on, my BSA's ran better and more reliably but hey it was a harley. Next one started life with me as a pile of dirty crates of rusting parts and a bare frame from a swap meet. Still got that one, my sig pic bike, been 40 years now.

But you are right been a lot of fan boies over the years gotta have that new machine.

hvacgaspiping (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 12:43 AM
Twowheelfever
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Sportster for a few years and a street 750 before that. I’m still probably new blood compared to a lot of people here. I’m in the market for a new Harley now and I think Harley is not doing the best job with bringing new people in.

The new age of riders want abs standard, fuel gauges, ride modes, TC and LED headlights just to name a few. None of that is necessary but they’re the new buzz words. I was looking at another (new) sportster, and to my surprise nothing has changed. The 883 is a great motor, but for 12-13k out the door, none of the above items are included, single seat, 5 speed, sub 50 hp and tq. If I were a new buyer and not specifically looking for a Harley I would have walked out of the dealership and gone to a metric dealer.

While many frowned at the street 500 and 750, I’m glad they made them. It’s what got me into Harley from the metrics. I picked up a 750 at $7k new coming from a ninja 650 and Honda shadow. That’s what new riders and non Harley riders are looking for. Spending $12k on an entry level bike that needs updates just to match the other sub $10k entry cruisers with the listed features above is keeping new riders away.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:17 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twowheelfever
Spending $12k on an entry level bike that needs updates just to match the other sub $10k entry cruisers with the listed features above is keeping new riders away.
I'm sorry...wut?
Honda shadow 750?
Yamaha Bolt?
Suzuki Boulevard C50?
Kawasaki Vulcan 900?
Last time I checked... none of those bikes have Traction Control, You can't even get a Vulcan that as ABS on it, muchless... one with traction control.
Same with the Yamaha Bolt, no ABS on it... much less traction control.
Same with the Honda Shadow.
Iron 883 is about the only one of those you CAN get ABS on.
Oh and none of those bikes have an LED gauge system either. They're all analogs.

I'm not sure what bike you pulled out of your behind that lets you some how magically wish away the sportster, but damn I'd like to see a base level cruiser at under 10k out the door that has TC, ABS, full glass dash, 65+HP, brand new.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:43 AM
Twowheelfever
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII;[url=tel:20687389
20687389]I'm sorry...wut?
Honda shadow 750?
Yamaha Bolt?
Suzuki Boulevard C50?
Kawasaki Vulcan 900?
Last time I checked... none of those bikes have Traction Control, You can't even get a Vulcan that as ABS on it, muchless... one with traction control.
Same with the Yamaha Bolt, no ABS on it... much less traction control.
Same with the Honda Shadow.
Iron 883 is about the only one of those you CAN get ABS on.
Oh and none of those bikes have an LED gauge system either. They're all analogs.

I'm not sure what bike you pulled out of your behind that lets you some how magically wish away the sportster, but damn I'd like to see a base level cruiser at under 10k out the door that has TC, ABS, full glass dash, 65+HP, brand new.
Rebel 1100…I test rode it before going the the HD dealer. If I wasn’t specifically seeing out a HD bike, I would have bought the rebel that day. TC, ride modes, LED gauge and lights, ABS, cruise, the list goes on. Hell you can even order it with an auto transmission. Yeah it’s not quite under 10k out the door but is msrp under 10k vs the 883 at ~11.5k without any add ons. But the Rebel 500 is way less out the door with most of those features.

Shadow doesn’t have standard ABS but it can be ordered from the factory with it. It’s also 3k cheaper than the 883.

I also didn’t mean to say just cruisers, ie: SV650, Kawasaki 650 bikes, MT-07, etc.

My point is Harley is asking too much for a beginner bike without most modern features. Back even 15 years ago when I got into riding the name was enough to push people to spend more for the bike. Not anymore, they want more than just name. Like I said, I want a specific bike, in my case the Nightster, but people not seeking the brand out specifically won’t care about name enough to buy an 11.5k beginner bike.

Last edited by Twowheelfever; 06-27-2022 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:58 AM
maxxym
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,197 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Rebel 1100…I test rode it before going the the HD dealer. If I wasn’t specifically seeing out a HD bike, I would have bought the rebel that day. TC, ride modes, LED gauge and lights, ABS, cruise, the list goes on. Hell you can even order it with an auto transmission. Yeah it’s not quite under 10k out the door but is msrp under 10k vs the 883 at ~11.5k without any add ons. But the Rebel 500 is way less out the door with most of those features.

Shadow doesn’t have standard ABS but it can be ordered from the factory with it. It’s also 3k cheaper than the 883.

I also didn’t mean to say just cruisers, ie: SV650, Kawasaki 650 bikes, MT-07, etc.

My point is Harley is asking too much for a beginner bike without most modern features. Back even 15 years ago when I got into riding the name was enough to push people to spend more for the bike. Not anymore, they want more than just name. Like I said, I want a specific bike, in my case the Nightster, but people not seeking the brand out specifically won’t care about name enough to buy an 11.5k beginner bike.
The thing is...it's still not a Harley.

..and I think that is what most will say. When you see a cruiser bike, people automatically think "Harley"..

hvacgaspiping (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 08:05 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Comparing unlike bikes isn't a reasonable comparison.
You're acting like only harley does this while ignoring that other companies that make bikes you pointed out also do THE EXACT SAME THING.
Your point is that you wanna brand bash but you don't know enough of what you're talking about to make a good point.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:15 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxym
The thing is...it's still not a Harley.

..and I think that is what most will say. When you see a cruiser bike, people automatically think "Harley"..
Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Comparing unlike bikes isn't a reasonable comparison.
Except now that Harley has their Revolution Max line and those bikes have better technology, some not even available, to all M8 models, means the points cannot be easily dismissed. However other brands are not standing still, you can buy 6k entry sport bikes that feature traction control, abs, and more; something Harley wants a thousand for but not available on Softails...

As the Revolution Max has patents showing sizes of 500, 750, 975, and 1250, it will be interesting to see if Harley does introduce a 750 Sportster or even a 500. I think they should, that 750 should be $9,999 but I suspect they would have to go to 500 to hit that price point. The issue here is one BMW ran into decades ago when they produced both an 850 and 1100 version of their boxer bikes, they cost nearly the same to produce but the 850 could not command the prices needed to make it truly profitable.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:55 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 16,988 Likes on 8,639 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
Yeah....with Katy (no talent fake celebrity) Perry leading the way....

LOL
......, And those big **** would probably get in the way too....

Quick Reply: MoCo Stepping Up Efforts to Bring New Blood to the Brand