General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MoCo Stepping Up Efforts to Bring New Blood to the Brand

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 09:10 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
It all started when MOCO brought in Elton John for the 100th

Hahahahahahaha.

Thanks a lot my friend, the pain had almost past.

Even my MIL said WTF were they thinking?

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (12-24-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 05:30 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
We just had our family Christmas party last night. My family is large and has always been a heavy motorcycle family, mostly Harley but a lot of other to. Been like this since the 60s. About 10 years ago I noticed a lack of interest with the under 20.kids. has been going down hill ever since.
last night was the worst, us bike guys was talking and no one under 30 had any interest in us and our bikes. I know all of them well I yeld out to the under 20s, around 6 of them and they each said they have no interest in motorcycles, I said why, you know.your dads and uncles love them. They just looked dumbfounded, one said they are to dangerous and the rest just went back to playing on their phones. I'm in Michigan so we cant ride year around but from what I'm seeing in my family is pure and simple, the young in my family just have no interest in motorcycles. On a side note, not.one of them knew what a Indian bike was, they thought I meant buying used bikes from American Indians, lol. Maybe Polaris should had stuck with the Victory name. But if they have no interest in motorcycles now maybe when they get older they might but that will take years. 20 years ago when we talked motorcycles the guys in there 40s now was loven the motorcycle talk. I hope not all family's are losing the young kids like my family. Made me feel a little sad last night. Rest of the party was great.
You don't really expect younger family members to care about or share your interest in your hobbies do you? If so you are going to be disappointed.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:33 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,762 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
You don't really expect younger family members to care about or share your interest in your hobbies do you? If so you are going to be disappointed.
This. I’m the only one in my family who rides or has any interest in riding with the exception of my niece.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:47 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,494 Likes on 2,707 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
That is kind of humorous to me. I began riding when I was in high school.

A few years later, while attending college, I had a bad accident while desert racing on my Suzuki. After a few years of recovery, I entered the IT field.

Perhaps your brother is skipping to the final outcome? J/K
Maybe!!

He's never been the get-your-hands-dirty kinda guy whereas I was trying to figure out how to put a lawn mower engine on a pedal car when I was a kid. My kids will have a lot more fun than his!

Old 12-23-2019, 09:26 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
Well it's not just my personal interest, I'm talking about a large part of my family that rides. I don't have grand kids yet, but all the grand kids in my family have no interest in 2 wheels of any kind. Yes I do find it disappointing, but it's my family and I love them just the same. Something has changed with the kids compared to the kids of 20 years ago, us guys was talking about it, all we could think of was the kids today never had bicycles, didn't play out side much and love Hi-Tsch stuff. What ever it is I hope it's not like this with other family's.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:44 PM
50pannmore
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Was talking with a friend of mine who has been selling bikes his whole life ,35/40 years, he said they used to average 500 bikes a month now they're lucky to move a hundred and fifty to two hundred units I'm talking dirt and Metric bikes my point is the millennials want nothing to do with two wheels it is sad that's for sure I feel for you brother and as much as I hate to say it if it wasn't for the TV show SOA we'd probably have even less kids riding Harleys

Old 12-23-2019, 10:08 PM
Wheelerza
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts

Motorcycle numbers are growing in the US - see:https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ange-for-2018/

Harley - not so much

Old 12-24-2019, 05:30 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheelerza
Motorcycle numbers are growing in the US - see:https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ange-for-2018/

Harley - not so much
Well. You can buy far more reliable motorcycles but you can't pay more. Might have something to do with Harleys decline in sales.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 09:01 AM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 826 Likes on 393 Posts

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. Some of these MoCo programs may work, I dunno. I just dont see these gimmicks resulting in hoards of next-gen women and minorities flocking to the showrooms, quivering in ecstatic anticipation of dropping 20-30 grand for a motorcycle. All things are cyclical, sinusoidal. I don't think any advertising or new model development will bring back the private pilot, the custom van, the chopper, the t-bucket roadster, or even the pet rock. These newer kids will never buy into anything that requires outdoor activity.

Old 06-26-2022, 01:34 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Don't want to throw gas on a fire, but I think brand loyalty is a thing if the past. Kids today research products before the buy and switch brands at a drop of a hat.
​​​​​​
I agree. Young people who grew up in a global economy have no brand loyalty. They could care less if HD is made in America or their grandpa rode one. The challenge HD faces attracting young buyers isn’t product, it’s changing brand image. Many young people consider HD overpriced, slow and heavy bikes for old men. Harley’s marketing folks will need to change brand image before they can build loyalty among young people.

Quick Reply: MoCo Stepping Up Efforts to Bring New Blood to the Brand