General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MoCo Stepping Up Efforts to Bring New Blood to the Brand

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 06:05 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
Yeah....with Katy (no talent fake celebrity) Perry leading the way....

LOL
It all started when MOCO brought in Elton John for the 100th

The following 2 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER (12-19-2019), kap1 (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,662 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Leasing bikes ? The dealerships have leftovers, repossessed, used bikes and brand new models filling their floors now.. Could not imagine what they would new with turned in leased bikes if that would to add to the mix..If the flock of new riders is out their, where are they ? With the amount of bikes on hand at dealerships across the country now, if they want to buy a bike nows the time to make a deal.. I don't think it's just a Harley issue either, plenty of other brand dealerships are loaded with bikes. I really do not believe the hype that there is a multitude of new riders ready to buy new bikes regardless of how many new models manufacturers create..
Harley davidson thinks they can just create a whole new generation of riders . And they are with their new toy bikes for kids . But that’s going to take another 15 to 20 years . Until then the ONLY WAY to get new riders is to find the right price point for today’s bikes . And until they do that ,todays generation will just be happy buy low mileage used bikes .
And this is the problem Harley has create it for themself’s !

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 12-19-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:55 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,160 Likes on 6,705 Posts

Unfortunate choice of title for this article. When I read it, my first thought was "Why? Do they crash more now?"

Old 12-21-2019, 06:56 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
Harley davidson thinks they can just create a whole new generation of riders . And they are with their new toy bikes for kids . But that’s going to take another 15 to 20 years . Until then the ONLY WAY to get new riders is to find the right price point for today’s bikes . And until they do that ,todays generation will just be happy buy low mileage used bikes .
And this is the problem Harley has create it for themself’s !
I'm 55, 3 of my 4 kids are out on their own. The 4th is still in college. I have a decent job and can afford any bike I want (within reason)

But way back when I was a High School kid working a part time job I bought my first car. It was a Chevy. There still is a Chevy truck sitting in my driveway.

Point is I was once young and poor and I'm not now, but I still have brand loyalty that was created in my younger days.

Even getting today's younger generations on used Harley's is a good thing for the long term survival of the moco. They arent playing the short game they are building a new generation of riders. That doesn't happen next quarter.

Last edited by VAFish; 12-21-2019 at 06:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VAFish:
Silent Glider (12-25-2019), Uncle G. (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 07:58 AM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,953 Likes on 1,758 Posts
Default New blood

Don't want to throw gas on a fire, but I think brand loyalty is a thing if the past. Kids today research products before the buy and switch brands at a drop of a hat.. I have three kids, and my brother.has three. My granddaughter rode with me when she was younger.. None of them ride even though they did. No interest in motorcycles regardless of what it says on the tank at all. Generational differences, IMHO.. I hope it works out for Harley, but thinking you can manufacturer new riders, IMHO is wishful thinking..
​​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by TheMurf:
hvacgaspiping (06-27-2022), Iron lHorse (12-21-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 05:31 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Don't want to throw gas on a fire, but I think brand loyalty is a thing if the past. Kids today research products before the buy and switch brands at a drop of a hat.. I have three kids, and my brother.has three. My granddaughter rode with me when she was younger.. None of them ride even though they did. No interest in motorcycles regardless of what it says on the tank at all. Generational differences, IMHO.. I hope it works out for Harley, but thinking you can manufacturer new riders, IMHO is wishful thinking..
​​​​​​
Murf I have to disagree with you. From the friends of my kids that are gear heads they are very brand loyal.

Now the non gear heads yeah they dont care about brand. Heck most of them can't even tell me what brand of car they are driving. Daddy bought it for them.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:13 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,239 Likes on 2,652 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish

Now the non gear heads yeah they dont care about brand. .
Not too sure of that, V'fish
I couldn't tell you what shoe, bag or jacket they have on, but betcha many of them can....

..L.T.A.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:40 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

We just had our family Christmas party last night. My family is large and has always been a heavy motorcycle family, mostly Harley but a lot of other to. Been like this since the 60s. About 10 years ago I noticed a lack of interest with the under 20.kids. has been going down hill ever since.
last night was the worst, us bike guys was talking and no one under 30 had any interest in us and our bikes. I know all of them well I yeld out to the under 20s, around 6 of them and they each said they have no interest in motorcycles, I said why, you know.your dads and uncles love them. They just looked dumbfounded, one said they are to dangerous and the rest just went back to playing on their phones. I'm in Michigan so we cant ride year around but from what I'm seeing in my family is pure and simple, the young in my family just have no interest in motorcycles. On a side note, not.one of them knew what a Indian bike was, they thought I meant buying used bikes from American Indians, lol. Maybe Polaris should had stuck with the Victory name. But if they have no interest in motorcycles now maybe when they get older they might but that will take years. 20 years ago when we talked motorcycles the guys in there 40s now was loven the motorcycle talk. I hope not all family's are losing the young kids like my family. Made me feel a little sad last night. Rest of the party was great.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:12 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,495 Likes on 2,707 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I hope not all family's are losing the young kids like my family. Made me feel a little sad last night.
My nephews have no interest nor does their dad (my brother) so I blame my cautious IT brother. My kids are different. They range from 9-19 boys and girls and all 4 ride dirt bikes and all want a Harley like Dad. My work here is done

The following 4 users liked this post by hellonewman:
GPHDXLC (12-22-2019), hvacgaspiping (06-27-2022), Silent Glider (12-25-2019), USMC1911 (06-27-2022)
Old 12-22-2019, 09:17 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
My nephews have no interest nor does their dad (my brother) so I blame my cautious IT brother.
That is kind of humorous to me. I began riding when I was in high school.

A few years later, while attending college, I had a bad accident while desert racing on my Suzuki. After a few years of recovery, I entered the IT field.

Perhaps your brother is skipping to the final outcome? J/K

Quick Reply: MoCo Stepping Up Efforts to Bring New Blood to the Brand