General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Chock

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 10:38 AM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm surprised no one has posted the HF wheel chock.... $60. I have 2 and use them in my trailer. But I'll admit they are not as easy as I'd like them to be in order to roll out. And I strongly suggest mounting them down.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-l...ock-61670.html

Steve

Old 12-18-2019, 10:57 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

With the Condor chock, the "rocker" in the base has to be adjusted for the bike's front wheel diameter. You don't want to have to pull a heavy bike's front wheel up and over the pivot rod. If you use the Condor chock with a heavy bike, you should also have a jack that will lift the bike so you can remove the chock from the front wheel if it gets stuck.

The following 2 users liked this post by RK4ME:
Architect (12-18-2019), Zonktified (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Oakers3
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,787 Likes on 917 Posts

I have never had a problem pulling the bike out of the Baxley chock. The heaviest one is a 97 Heritage Softail classic and I don't lock them in.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Rsbenden
Tourer

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts

I put a chock on a red harbor freight lift n use it alot!! Old bastards like me can't get on the ground well,I've had a total knee replacement n it is a lifesaver when doing extensive work. When all the way up ya don't gotta bend n the half way point is perfect for setting on a stool. But without a good chock it sucked.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:44 AM
sire86
Tourer
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
With the Condor chock, the "rocker" in the base has to be adjusted for the bike's front wheel diameter. You don't want to have to pull a heavy bike's front wheel up and over the pivot rod. If you use the Condor chock with a heavy bike, you should also have a jack that will lift the bike so you can remove the chock from the front wheel if it gets stuck.
Agreed, I think adjusting the rocker / pin adjustment so it doesn’t come up to high on the tire will help avoid that issue . I did have little trouble backing the bike out of the chock being it wasn’t bolted down to the trailer.
But again that’s how secure this chock holds a heavy bike in place.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:31 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

Originally Posted by sire86
Agreed, I think adjusting the rocker / pin adjustment so it doesn’t come up to high on the tire will help avoid that issue . I did have little trouble backing the bike out of the chock being it wasn’t bolted down to the trailer.
I use removable Pingel chocks in my cargo trailer but they're not as convenient as the Condor.
When I use the Condor in my (open) landscape trailer, I power-screw it to the deck.
Threaded screw inserts would work in either trailer.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:30 PM
sire86
Tourer
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
I use removable Pingel chocks in my cargo trailer but they're not as convenient as the Condor.
When I use the Condor in my (open) landscape trailer, I power-screw it to the deck.
Threaded screw inserts would work in either trailer.
Good idea , the trailer I used wasn’t mine so I couldn’t screw anything down. If I ever own one thats probably what I would do too

Old 12-18-2019, 01:35 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,451 Likes on 2,779 Posts

Originally Posted by sire86
I had an issue getting my Road Glide out of the Condor, I saw them at a rally and made an inquiry. They told me to adjust the rocker (I think) back one notch, never had an issue again. Might have been the other way, don't remember, but I made the suggested modification and was all good. I park my Flathead in the Condor pretty much full time, easy as can be. I also have an older JC Whitney lift to pick the bikes up, $99.95 way back in the day. With the bigger bikes it is convenient to roll them into the Condor to get them level, then slide the lift underneath to jack them up. Been at least 20 years like that, it gets the job done. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
sire86 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:55 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
.... The v-lift does look quite interesting. Price isn't too bad and I would be very curious to actually see one..
If you watched the video, it is exactly what you see. I will say he made it look effortless in the video. However, although it works well for me, it does take some effort to lift or let down. You are lifting 900+ lbs using a lever.

And, you must be on a hard concrete surface. Any other kind of paving may not work.

A HD oil catch pan fits under nicely and it works very well for cleaning the wheels.

If your bike is lowered, like mine is, you need to run the rear wheel up onto a 2X8 so there is room to slide the lift far enough under the bike to allow it to lift the bike.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:25 PM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Zonktified
Hey Franks, thanks for the link, thats a pretty slick stand. To be honest I’ve seen a few vids on the use of a chock and am a bit concerned with wrestling a 850# RG out of it and also adding mounts to the garage floor so it doesn’t move during loading.

Does anyone have any feedback on that aspect of using the chock on the garage concrete floor?
I found a good used chock on Craig's List. I use it in the garage with no anchors, and bolt it down to the trailer if I need it. Don't think I have pics of it on the trailer, but I do have one of my sales pics of my old Road King. It was outside the garage, but it works just fine inside too, and yes, the garage floor is pretty smooth, even if not polished. I did find one with the bike on the trailer too. That was the first time I'd had the bike on the trailer, so I used four tie-downs. Figured out since then that I only need two, one on each lower leg of the forks. Don't need any when the bike is just parked, at least I've never used any.

I'm old and not very healthy, but I've never had any trouble pulling the bike out of the chock. I'd bet you can do it without much trouble too. Anyway, here ya go.....

Hope that helps.

Blues

Quick Reply: Garage Chock