General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll: Advice for soon to be Harley owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Kodster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Advice for soon to be Harley owner

I am in the process of buying my first Harley, but I am a young guy with a 3 mo. old baby at home, so money is a little tight. With what I can afford, I see that I have two options: I could get a newer 1200 Sporty with low miles, a bunch of add-ons, warranty, and the rubber motor mounts, which I think would be a BIG plus.

Or I could go with my favorite style of Harley, the Dyna Low Rider, but the few that I have found in my range look good, but almost 20k miles. I know I see alot a Harley's out there with alot more miles than that, but it just makes me a little nervous. I want to spend more time riding it than working on it. What would all you do in my shoes, I'm torn. Thanks, can't wait to officially be part of the community.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:04 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Poll: Advice for soon to be Harley owner

newer sportie.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:06 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Would you buy a used car with 20,000 miles? I would. I would think of the recent vintage Harleys as being just as reliable. I would really suggest you buy the bike you want and not be deterred by that kind of mileage. If you bought the Sportster (and don't misunderstand me, I ride a Sportster) you would still want a Dyna Low Rider and that wouldn't be fun.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:08 PM
gconklin
Road Master

i love my '94 and wouldn't go w/ a new bike. It hasn't troubled me even once in 10 years

Old 07-17-2007, 03:11 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh !!!!!!!!!! Also, hello and welcome from Tucson

Old 07-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't have a problem buying an older/higher mileage bike. I just bought a 94 Hugger for my GF w/ 26,000 on it. Runs like a champ. And if you're partial to the Lowrider, then by all means get it.Anyway, 20k is just about broken in!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 PM
skullandcircle
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with the bike you want.. like others have said 20k isnt much. [/align]

Old 07-17-2007, 03:30 PM
dennisaa
Advanced

I would go with the Low Rider. 20K is not that many miles. Look at the 'mature' beauty posted above. =)

Old 07-17-2007, 03:52 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Okay....here's my take. I'm trying not to read to much in to this, but I heard that you have a 3 month old baby at home and money is a little tight. Not to sound like your father, but......too late, I know. I would advise against buying a bike if things are that tight financially, imagine how much tighter things will become after you buya bike. eg...gas, insurance, maintenence, accessories, etc...The other thing is with a 3 monthold baby at home, you will need to spend a lot of time at home with that baby and not so much on the road with us. I have 2 kids of my own and trust me on this....they take away a lot of spendable riding time.

Having said all that, I know you didn't ask for a lecture, so I'll assume you've already thought all of that through and answer your question this way. No question about it, the Dyna in my opinion is a larger, more comfortable and nicer bike than the Sportster. The mileage is nothing for a big V-Twin, on the other hand it's also something to consider. The Sportster hasawarranty and will cover any defects. That's important when you're going to the dealer and the difference is hundreds of dollars out of your bank account versus nothing out of pocket becuase of a warranty claim. If the Dyna needs any repairs...well you know who pays for that. The Sportster is a great bike and they have a strong following. For your first HD, there's certainly nothing wrong starting out on something smaller and then move up later to a bigger V-Twin as your finances allow. That's my opinion. Hope it helped.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:52 PM
mjh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with what you would like to ride. don't settle for something you don't enjoy 100%

mjh

Quick Reply: Poll: Advice for soon to be Harley owner