General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll: Advice for soon to be Harley owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Poll: Advice for soon to be Harley owner

You're not gonna like this opinion, but I suggest you wait.

That 3 month old kid of yours is gonna be expensive the next few years.

More than you even know.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:01 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Waiting for money to become less tight, might never happen. Get the bike you want. Don't settle. You will regret that decision. The 'time' might never be right, so, if you have the coin now, get the bike and ride. And, by all means, take a MSF. You have a family to think about, so be as safe as you can. You live once, so live it. Don't sit back and wait. Before you know it, you will be looking back at your life and wish you had done this and that. Why live with regrets. Worst case, if money becomes to tight, sell your bike. I paid cash for my bike. My wife and I have the understanding that if for any reason we need the money (ie losing the house), the bike goes. But, at least if those times come, I have something worth a few dollars to sell. JMHO.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Kodster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: tda69

Okay....here's my take. I'm trying not to read to much in to this, but I heard that you have a 3 month old baby at home and money is a little tight. Not to sound like your father, but......too late, I know. I would advise against buying a bike if things are that tight financially, imagine how much tighter things will become after you buya bike. eg...gas, insurance, maintenence, accessories, etc...The other thing is with a 3 monthold baby at home, you will need to spend a lot of time at home with that baby and not so much on the road with us. I have 2 kids of my own and trust me on this....they take away a lot of spendable riding time.

Thanks for the advice, but like I said in my original post, I am a young guy, not a child. You say I won't have time to ride, how about my 30 mile commute to work everyday that I am buying gas for my truck that gets 14 mpg. Seems like that would be a good time to ride, and save me a few bucks, cause I don't know about where you live, but where I do, gas ain't cheap. Also I am very forunate to have many family members who beg me and my wife to go do stuff so they can watch our boy for a couple hours. Besides it's not like I am going to have to put 10k miles each year on it to enjoy it. If I can olny get out a couple hours a week on it for awhile, that is fine by me. I know this is only my first post but, I have been browsing this website for quite some time, you sure do have a way of getting under people's skin don't you.

Quote: Biggol

It depends on so many more factors than you've listed:

How good are you with a wrench?
How tall are you?
First bike, or experienced rider? Sounds like you know a bit about what you're doing.

No stranger to a wrench, been working on everything from snowmobiles to cars since I was very young with my Dadwho was a professional mechanic for 25 years, so I'm good there.

I am about 6' 190lbs, so I think either bike would fit me well.

I have plenty of riding experience, got my first dirtbike before I was 10, bought my first metric cruiser when I was 16, and have owned 4 different metrics since then, but I am tired of the those jap bikes, need to get me a hog.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Thanks to everyone that posted, you have really helped me. I was thinking that buying a bike with 20k was like buying a car with 150k. But it sounds like that is not the case. I will post some pics when I finally pull the trigger.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:07 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's nice to get what you want, but it's critical that you not get what you don't want. Sounds crazy, but there is a big difference. Only you can make the call. From my biased and ignorant view, there may never be a better time to buy an older,well used Dyna. Likewise, there may never be a better time to buy a used, late model, carbed Sportster.

Listen to the little voice inside.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:33 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest you hold off for a year and then re-evaluate. Here's the problem as I see it. Money's tight and you have a new baby. Yeah, lot of people said it will always be tight, but IMHO, this is a discretionary purchase, not a "need." Besides, in the worst case scenario, and you need the money for something else, are you prepared to lose the bike because you can't make payments? And in that first year, that baby may be in the doctor's office, either one of you could be sick, etc. I'd suggest taking the money you'd have made (buying the Dyna btw) and socking it in the bank for a year. Two things are going to happen: you're either going to have to tap into that money (in which case you have it to spare) or you'll have a nice deposit for that ride. If you can't make a routine payment to your savings account twice or more because something else came up, you're in trouble.
And the other great advice is do a budget. Motorcycles don't stop costing because you bought one. You have insurance, gas, etc.
May not be what you want to hear, but you asked for opinions.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two issues to consider:

1. Your wife/GF ain't gonna be lettin you out to have fun while she home changin diapers.

2. Mid 90's non touring Harleys ride like chit. The newer sportster will be much more comfortable.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 AM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer

Also, if you can aford a used sportie, that would make a handsome down on a new bike. Your payments would be next to nill. Just an example, I just sold my truck 250$ a month, bikes now 350$ a month but we save so much on gas its totally worth it. s So if your already makeing payments, the new bike makes senceMabye just my way of justifying, but hey, it works for me. Wife too

Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Kodster
Cruiser

I think the first thing I need to do is go to a dealer and take a newer sportie out for a test drive. I have rode a late 90's LR and absolutly loved it, I also have rode a 883 and absolutly hated it, but never a 1200.

Oh yeah, to all of you who say I should hold off, I have been holding off for six years now. Plus the wife said I could, so that's all I need. [sm=kissykissy.gif]

Old 07-18-2007, 11:24 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: kody_lawrence

I think the first thing I need to do is go to a dealer and take a newer sportie out for a test drive. I have rode a late 90's LR and absolutly loved it, I also have rode a 883 and absolutly hated it, but never a 1200.

Oh yeah, to all of you who say I should hold off, I have been holding off for six years now. Plus the wife said I could, so that's all I need. [sm=kissykissy.gif]
Your life. Your decision. For those of us parents we may tend to look at things a bit differently than you do with only a 3 month old baby at home. I hope it all works out for you whatever you decide.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM
LIRIDE
Road Warrior

Did your wife say it in any context noted below?

9 WORDS WOMEN USE

1. Fine : This is the word women use to end an argument when they are right and you need to shut up.

2. Five Minutes: If she is getting dressed, this means a half an hour. Five minutes is only five minutes if you have just been given five more minutes to watch the game before helping around the house.

3. Nothing: This is the calm before the storm. This means something, and you should be on your toes. Arguments that begin with nothing usually end in fine.

4. Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

5. Loud Sigh: This is actually a word, but is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A loud sigh means she thinks you are an idiot and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here and arguing with you about nothing. (Refer back to #3 for the meaning of nothing.)

6. That's Okay: This is one of the most dangerous statements a women can make to a man. That's okay means she wants to think long and hard before deciding how and when you will pay for your mistake.

7. Thanks: A woman is thanking you, do not question, or Faint. Just say you're welcome.

8. Whatever: Is a women's way of saying F@!K YOU!

9. Don't worry about it, I got it: Another dangerous statement, meaning this is something that a woman has told a man to do several times, but is now doing it herself. This will later result in a man asking 'What's wrong?' For the woman's response refer to #3.

Quick Reply: Poll: Advice for soon to be Harley owner