General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half helmet vs 3/4helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Half helmet vs 3/4helmet?

ORIGINAL: whaap

Yeah, especially if it has a visor on it or if it is loose fitting. The wind is coming up from under the windshield causing the buffeting. If your helmet is a tad too big, go to a bicycle shop and see if you can buy some of the small foam pads they use inside bicycle helmets to adjust the size. That's what I did with my 1/2 and it helped snug it up.
I failed to add. I wear my 1/2 around town but like others I have a different helmet when I'm going to be "on the road" for any length of time or distance. I wear a Nolan full face with the flip up chin bar. Much quieter and more comfortable than hitting the highway with my 1/2.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started out with a shoei RF-1000 full face,the buffeting was so bad it shook my head so i saw double vision,and my riding glasses would walk down my nose from my head shaking,after adding the fork deflector,fairing deflectors and the delflector that mounts between the forks, i realized the buffeting wasnt going away,switched over to a harley D.O.T. half helmet,no visor,and the buffeting was cut down by about 90 %. I still have some buffeting ,but not nearly as bad and i'm alot more comforable. dont ride much interstate highway so i cant comment about higher speeds with the half helmet. The shoei has sat on a shelf in the closet since it was a couple weeks old,wear just the half helmet. My electra glide has the 9 1/2" HD windsheild on it. Never tried a 3/4 helmet,maybe i will sometime.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: oldgeezer

I'm the same as the other guys. I only use my half helmet for around town. When we travel, I wear the 3/4 that has a face shield.
One more here. I just got a half helmet this past weekend. Just the basic H-D Midway helmet. Rode a few hours on Sunday and didn't notice any buffeting. But then again, I'm sitting behind a Batwing with 9 1/2" windshield. I wanted a "hot weather" helmet. As for long rides, I use my H-D Ultra Jet 3/4 helmet with the flip shield. Love it except for some minor buffeting above 65 mph on the super slab. Just installed an Autocom intercom headset and boom mike in it, thus the need for the half shell. The 3/4 has become my "touring" helmet. When it gets cold, I use the 3/4 or my HJC full face.