General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:25 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

Let me preface this thread by saying that – in many respects – I’m seriously old school in my ways of thinking. One of them being that I’ve always held the notion that ALL public servants should hold themselves to a different standard than those of the rest of us they are obligated to serve. I feel their comportment should be such that they should ‘lead by example’ so to speak. Yes, I realize that nowadays this isn’t always the case. That said…..

I was in Fort Worth last week on business and as I was walking out of a convenience store a police officer rolled up on what was obviously his personal motorcycle; not a cop bike. This officer was in full uniform so one could gather that either he was en route to work or just finishing up a shift. He was not wearing a helmet nor did he have a ‘Helmet Exemption’ sticker placed on his license plate. That said…..

Recently, I was pulled over for riding without a helmet and NOT having a ‘Helmet Exemption’ sticker on my license plate. Truth the told, at the time, it was the first I had ever even heard of such a sticker existing? The officer (State Highway Patrol) indicated to me that by not having a sticker and my not wearing a helmet was cause enough for a law enforcement officer to pull me over. Fair enough I guess. That said….

Back to the cop at the convenience store. While I realize that he was well within his rights not to be wearing a helmet within the State of Texas. It struck me as not altogether kosher that by his being a police officer that he did not have said ‘Helmet Exemption’ sticker located on his plate. Yeah, I know, cops are people too, yadda yadda yadda. My point is, “Shouldn’t he be setting an example andsubscribe himself tothe very laws that he is sworn to uphold?” He was in full uniform and it wasn't as if he was unrecognizable as a cop by beingin jeans and a t. Anyone else feel this way? Appreciate any input on this and hope that some see where I’m coming from. Thanks.

*Note: I didn't initiate this thread to in any way suggest that I am anti-law enforcement. Far to the contrary, I have nothing but respect for those in uniform undertaking what is often times a thankless and underapreciated job.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:40 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

I agree with what you say. I also feel that, myself as a motorcyclist, Ishould hold myself to a higher degree of conduct to try and offset (compensate) for the jerks that are out there on bikes causing the general public to form bad thoughts about motorcycles.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Alias
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up around cops, my dad, his dad and his dad before him were all cops. I was a trader, I was a firefighter.

I agree with what you are saying, cops, firefighters and any public servantshould be held to a higher standard. Not only are they being paid with tax money, they are supposed to enforce laws that we impose for the betterment of society.

How can they write a ticket to someone when they are doing the samething.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:49 AM
so165
Tourer

what is the sticker all about? whois allowed to have a sticker?

Old 07-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: whaap

I agree with what you say. I also feel that, myself as a motorcyclist, Ishould hold myself to a higher degree of conduct to try and offset (compensate) for the jerks that are out there on bikes causing the general public to form bad thoughts about motorcycles.
Everytime I catch myself getting frustrated enough in traffic to want to ride like a squid, I think about what you just said.

I slow it down. I remember that I choose to ride in the state of Florida and it's going to get hot and traffic is going to suck. I remember that my life and the communities opinion of MC riders is on the line. I sweat and deal with it. Getting home safely without anyone going out of their way to run you down because you're acting like a jerk, is the preferred path for me.

TX, didn't mean to jump on the Hijack bandwagon. I agree 100%. I have a MC LEO that lives 2 houses down from me. He sets the example. He's always in his gear,even in uniform, with helmet (in a no helmet state), gloves, goggles, etc. on his personal MC. Heck he just bought him a new one I had to run over and check out - nice 07 Wing.

Ultimately though, there's always going to be hipocrites that watch what other people do. Even the LEOs and company men. It's human nature.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:57 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: so165

what is the sticker all about? whois allowed to have a sticker?
As taken from the Texas Departmet of Public Safety website:

Helmet Exemption Sticker. The Department of Public Safety issues Helmet Exemption stickers to persons who:
[ul][*]apply to the department on the form provided; and[*]own the motorcycle listed on the application;[*]provide adequate proof of successful completion of the Basic or Advanced Motorcycle Operator Training Course, or health insurance coverage, and,[*]pay a $5.00 non-refundable fee for each sticker applied for. [/ul]
Persons operating, or riding upon, a motorcycle with a helmet exemption sticker displayed on the license plate or license plate mounting bracket are presumed to meet the training or insurance requirements for riding without a helmet.

NOTE: Helmet Exemption stickers are serialized and may not be transferred from one motorcycle to another. The sticker expires on the third anniversary of their date of issuance.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:00 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, set the example or be made an example.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Law Dawg
Road Warrior

Well maybe he has an exemption sticker maybe not. But the bottom line is that he is in uniform and I'd venture to bet that the helmet is an offical part of that uniform. It also probably states that while operating his state issued Motorcycle and in uniform you will wear your helmet. At worse IMO he's out of uniform an subject to internal department discipline. Could of got his name off his name tag and reported him or made an inquiry regarding the situation.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:07 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

If your point is that he should, as a Police Officer, be setting an example.... then, yes, I agree with you. He should have the sticker on his tag, or be wearing a helmet.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Law Dawg

Well maybe he has an exemption sticker maybe not.
If he did - as you suggest - have a sticker, it was not appropriately displayed; as per the TxDPS guidelines, i.e. on the plate or plate frame. I gave the bike a good once over/walk around.

Quick Reply: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?