General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: TM
If its optional its optional, period.Doesn't optional apply to LEO"s?
Following that line of logic, then shouldn't a motorcyclistwho 'opts' not to have a sticker not be placed in the possible position of being pulled over by law enforcement as a result?

Contrary to the many comments above, thisis not a pick on LE thread.It's intent was to gauge whether or not there are those of you out there who feel as though law enforcement officersshould be held to astandard (be it ethical, procedural, or however one cares to term it)separate and apart from the community at large.

Let's try to break this down in the simplest of terms yet again.

A. Officer can pull over a motorcyclist who is not wearing a helmet and who does not have the 'Helmet Exempt' sticker on his plate.

B. Same officer rides a bike; personal bike.

C. Same officer - while riding personal bike - is in full uniform and not wearing a helmet.

D. Same officer - while in full uniform and riding with no helmet - has no 'Helmet Exempt' tag on plate. Yes, the optional $5.00 one.

E. No one out there sees this as 'different' to say the least?

The sticker is optional. Its not a requirement to have one. Thats pretty plain in my book. Why should an LEO be REQUIRED to buy an optional $5.00 sticker? He takes the risk of being pulled over just like any other citizen and I'm sure that if he is he will have the necessary paperwork required by Texas law.

If he is required to have one then it is no longer OPTIONAL.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Lowridin
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: TM
If its optional its optional, period.Doesn't optional apply to LEO"s?
Following that line of logic, then shouldn't a motorcyclistwho 'opts' not to have a sticker not be placed in the possible position of being pulled over by law enforcement as a result?

Contrary to the many comments above, thisis not a pick on LE thread.It's intent was to gauge whether or not there are those of you out there who feel as though law enforcement officersshould be held to astandard (be it ethical, procedural, or however one cares to term it)separate and apart from the community at large.

Let's try to break this down in the simplest of terms yet again.

A. Officer can pull over a motorcyclist who is not wearing a helmet and who does not have the 'Helmet Exempt' sticker on his plate.

B. Same officer rides a bike; personal bike.

C. Same officer - while riding personal bike - is in full uniform and not wearing a helmet.

D. Same officer - while in full uniform and riding with no helmet - has no 'Helmet Exempt' tag on plate. Yes, the optional $5.00 one.

E. No one out there sees this as 'different' to say the least?

One officer may pull you over and another may not. It appears they can if they want. It seems your whole problem is that you ran into the one that will. Pay your 5 bucks for the OPTIONAL sticker and you won't have to worry about it again. What is it about the word optional you don't understand?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:45 PM
The Punisher
Banned

If the law says the sticker is required then you put the F'n sticker on your bike. If it's optional then don't F'n worry about it, put it on only if you want to. We are talking about an optional sticker here, get over it. If the guy was riding 100mph down a residential street on his rear wheel hell yeah he get's a ticket, but a optional sticker give me a break.

We Police Officers are held to a higher standard, by our employers, the citizens our families and ourselves. And if we break the law then we pay the consequences no if, ands or but about it. But not having an optional sticker on your bike is not breaking the law, period.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a retired LEO I do agree with you about the higher standard, it is true lead by example. I just can't imagine a department that lets you ride a non-police bike in uniform. That leads to all kind of unwanted troubles.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Why would he be pulled over in uniform without a sticker? He obviouly has the dept's medical coverage which would certainly meet the minimum requirement. For FL without a helmet you have to have 10K in medical. I was stopped at a vehicle checkpoint. Showed them my DL and Mil ID and let go after realised we have the 10K minimum.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:29 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tinkermc

As a retired LEO I do agree with you about the higher standard, it is true lead by example. I just can't imagine a department that lets you ride a non-police bike in uniform. That leads to all kind of unwanted troubles.
Why shouldn't a cop be able to ride a motorcycle to and from work in uniform?If no one can drive to work in any vehicle in uniform, then it would be fine. But if they are gonna dictate the kind of transportation that I have to use to get to work, then they need to provide it, IMO.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:26 PM
melrose68
Intermediate

In Texas you can apply for the sticker, OR have a ceratin amoun of medical insurance.

If you have enough medical insurance you dont need a sticker and not required to wear a helmet.

In addition if you have had a MSF basic course you dont need to wear a helmet or need a sticker.

You may be required to show proof of insurance or MSF completeion if pulled over.

Think of all the bandwidth used up for this and it was based on a wrong premise.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:40 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have not read all the posts on this thread therefore I may be repeating some other's opinion but here is mine in response to the initial post.

I disagree with you entirely. I am a resident of Texas also and the law does not require an adult over eighteen to wear a helmet or have the sticker. Therefore, how is the officer setting a poor example. He is within the law, period. You may think a rider should wear a helmet but that is your opinion and he is under no obligation to support and/or set an example for your opinion. Your opinion about wearing a helmet (and I do not know if this is your opinion ) is not shared by the state legislature, the governor, or the majority of motorcycle riders in Texas. I do not understand why you think this officer was setting a bad example.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:44 PM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Law Dawg

Well maybe he has an exemption sticker maybe not. But the bottom line is that he is in uniform and I'd venture to bet that the helmet is an offical part of that uniform. It also probably states that while operating his state issued Motorcycle and in uniform you will wear your helmet. At worse IMO he's out of uniform an subject to internal department discipline. Could of got his name off his name tag and reported him or made an inquiry regarding the situation.
Law Dawg, you certainly jumped right into this one. From what I read this was an off duty officer, riding his POV. I read the info that was posted from the Texas website referencing the exemption tag. No where in that information does it say that you must have the sticker to ride without a helmet. It only implies that if you have the sticker you meet the requirements for not having a helmet. That would prevent Officers from stopping you for not having a helmet. From the way it is written or should I say posted here, it appears that if your not wearing a helmet and you don't have the sticker, a law enforcement officer can stop you to see if you meet the requirements. Having the sticker would prevent them from doing that. If the sticker is required and must be displayed to legally ride without a helmet, what was posted above does not indicate that.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I live and ride in Texas without a helmet and without the sticker. I have never been pulled over and questioned about my medical insurance coverage or anything else concerning my not wearing a helmet. Most riders that I see do not have the sticker. From the information originally posted, this officer was proper and doing nothing to indicate a disregard for the law, in my opinion. Someone seems a little perturbed that they were pulled over once and asked to show proof of adequate medical insurance coverage. Get over it.

Quick Reply: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?