General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:11 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

ORIGINAL: Lowridin

ORIGINAL: whaap

Lots of folksshow that little jealouse streak when they only percieve that a
I'll try again. They don't take an oath to uphold the law "only when on the job" And yes, LEO's get breaks just as I'm suredoctors and lawyers and bakers practice professional courtesies. I know when I was a LEO I gave them and I got them. He!! I still get them today. But yes,whether they like it or not they are held to a higher standard. If they're not willing to accept that they're in the wrong job.
So, help me out here. As a former LEO, you both gave and recieved "Proffessional Courtesies". Yet you say LEO'S should be held to higher standards. Appears you don't practice what you preach. Maybe you weren't willing to accept that and that is why you are no longer a LEO?
Yeep, the last guy I knew that was perfect has scars in his hands and feet.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be the same as the military. Should also be the same as my profession. If you're in uniform: police, armed forces, EMT, BoyScout Troop leader -or- if you're answering the company phone during hours you're "clocked out" you should be a representative of said job. Period.

If you're off duty and still in uniform (or answering the company phone/emial/whatever) you should be chastized for not upholding the standards of said position. If I answer my work phone over the weekend like this, "What the F^&* do you want? I clocked out at 5pm be-otch." there will probably beconsequences. Ok, that's extreme, but it makes the point hopefully.

I can't expect to wear a shirt or hat with my company logoon it and answer the phone how I want -or- go get hammered in a bar and acthowever I want unless I take into consideration that someone, somewhere is judging my company by my actions.

If you're off duty and not a visible representative of the job, then it's your own azz and your own time and whatever else. We all have "contracts" and expectations that come from our employers. Those in public service just have a bit more to answer for. Get out of uniform and do whatever you want.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:34 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biggol

Should be the same as the military. Should also be the same as my profession. If you're in uniform: police, armed forces, EMT, BoyScout Troop leader -or- if you're answering the company phone during hours you're "clocked out" you should be a representative of said job. Period.

If you're off duty and still in uniform (or answering the company phone/emial/whatever) you should be chastized for not upholding the standards of said position. If I answer my work phone over the weekend like this, "What the F^&* do you want? I clocked out at 5pm be-otch." there will probably beconsequences. Ok, that's extreme, but it makes the point hopefully.

I can't expect to wear a shirt or hat with my company logoon it and answer the phone how I want -or- go get hammered in a bar and acthowever I want unless I take into consideration that someone, somewhere is judging my company by my actions.

If you're off duty and not a visible representative of the job, then it's your own azz and your own time and whatever else. We all have "contracts" and expectations that come from our employers. Those in public service just have a bit more to answer for. Get out of uniform and do whatever you want.
Thank you for being another rational mind.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Alias
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you think there should be a double standard? It would be just fine for an off duty cop to smoke pot, speed, rape, pillage and plunder because, what the hel!, he is off duty. Give me a brake, of course he should be held to a higher standard.

As far as being paid for being on duty 24 hrs, I'll be the first to admit that cops should be paid as much as the taxbase can stand. I would have loved growing up in the suburbs instade of an intercity.Then again, your the one that took the job for the pay they offered.

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

then perhaps the officer should be paid for being 'on duty for 24hrs'?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Alias

So you think there should be a double standard? It would be just fine for an off duty cop to smoke pot, speed, rape, pillage and plunder because, what the hel!, he is off duty. Give me a brake, of course he should be held to a higher standard.

As far as being paid for being on duty 24 hrs, I'll be the first to admit that cops should be paid as much as the taxbase can stand. I would have loved growing up in the suburbs instade of an intercity.Then again, your the one that took the job for the pay they offered.

I don't think anyone here thinks there should be such an extreme double standard. There will be on the job behavior and off the job behavior for every person that ever has a job at some point. SHould it be this way? No, not for any field or profession.

Unfortunately it just isn't a rainbow-sunshine-hippy-treehugging-make love in a VW bus-world full of dandelion flowers and fluffy clouds where all bicyclesand ice cream cones are built for two.

It's a grim reality. Everyones moral compass points a different direction - I still stick with: if in uniform and visible BE the job. If on your own time, be yourself. Eventually it will weed you out of said job if you're unfit.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Stogie
Cruiser

I agree that LEO's should aspire to a higher standard and set an example for the rest of us. I respect and support all LEO's and we have some fine men and women here in Alabama, but i NEVER see a LEO use his directionals.
I ride everyday to work and I'd guess that no more than 10% of local drivers use their directionals.
Most folks onlycare about themselves.
It's a sorry state of affairs.
Stogie

Old 07-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Alias
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Biggol

ORIGINAL: Alias

I don't think anyone here thinks there should be such an extreme double standard. There will be on the job behavior and off the job behavior for every person that ever has a job at some point. SHould it be this way? No, not for any field or profession.

Unfortunately it just isn't a rainbow-sunshine-hippy-treehugging-make love in a VW bus-world full of dandelion flowers and fluffy clouds where all bicyclesand ice cream cones are built for two.

It's a grim reality. Everyones moral compass points a different direction - I still stick with: if in uniform and visible BE the job. If on your own time, be yourself. Eventually it will weed you out of said job if you're unfit.

Luckily no one is looking for, " a rainbow-sunshine-hippy-treehugging-make love in a VW bus-world full of dandelion flowers and fluffy clouds where all bicyclesand ice cream cones are built for two."

I grew up in a LEO family, I lived in an inter city, not the suburbs because of the low pay of police officers. I would love to see LEO's paid top dollar.

But I still think they should be held to higher standard.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:23 PM
drifter4
Cruiser

Why not politely bring this matter to his attention when it happened, if you could have?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

Hey Z whats even funnier is when this topic was brought up in another thread by the same author the point was made that the STICKER is OPTIONAL andis is not a requirement. As a matter of fact if one should get the notion to do a search for said prior thread I think they will find thatsomeone even copied and pasted the actual statute in the thread with an emphasis on the sticker being OPTIONAL. I may be wrong but thats what I remember.

If its optional its optional, period.Doesn't optional apply to LEO"s?

ORIGINAL: zombie

How quickly we digress; from a LEO breaking a traffic law (is it even a traffic law or a civil violation?) to a bunch of sorry punch in punch out cops (not my words).

I’m sorry, but cops get a pass from me on a lot of things. Anyone willingly putting themselves in danger for our safety can get away with not having a $5.00 sticker on their scoot in my opinion. Don’t think I’m going to lose any sleep over that one.

I know I’m gonna get some flack with this one, but with all the laws on the books, it’s ridiculous to think that a cop will know every nuance of the law; we’ve had threads in here where LEO’s have pulled over scoots with modulating head lamps because they thought they were illegal…and these are traffic cops. There’s nothing sayin this LEO was even a traffic cop, it might be that he was simply unaware of this law (just as TxHarley was before he was pulled over).

I think this is part of the problem, instead of thanking the officers for standing up for the sheeple who are unwilling or unable to stand up for themselves, we pick the LEO’s apart on trivialities like not having a $5.00 sticker.

I'm sure none of you guys have ever been cut a break from a LEO https://www.hdforums.com/m_1919014/tm.htm

Sorry guys, I give this guy a pass.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TM
If its optional its optional, period.Doesn't optional apply to LEO"s?
Following that line of logic, then shouldn't a motorcyclistwho 'opts' not to have a sticker not be placed in the possible position of being pulled over by law enforcement as a result?

Contrary to the many comments above, thisis not a pick on LE thread.It's intent was to gauge whether or not there are those of you out there who feel as though law enforcement officersshould be held to astandard (be it ethical, procedural, or however one cares to term it)separate and apart from the community at large.

Let's try to break this down in the simplest of terms yet again.

A. Officer can pull over a motorcyclist who is not wearing a helmet and who does not have the 'Helmet Exempt' sticker on his plate.

B. Same officer rides a bike; personal bike.

C. Same officer - while riding personal bike - is in full uniform and not wearing a helmet.

D. Same officer - while in full uniform and riding with no helmet - has no 'Helmet Exempt' tag on plate. Yes, the optional $5.00 one.

E. No one out there sees this as 'different' to say the least?

Quick Reply: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?