General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:12 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

How quickly we digress; from a LEO breaking a traffic law (is it even a traffic law or a civil violation?) to a bunch of sorry punch in punch out cops (not my words).

I’m sorry, but cops get a pass from me on a lot of things. Anyone willingly putting themselves in danger for our safety can get away with not having a $5.00 sticker on their scoot in my opinion. Don’t think I’m going to lose any sleep over that one.

I know I’m gonna get some flack with this one, but with all the laws on the books, it’s ridiculous to think that a cop will know every nuance of the law; we’ve had threads in here where LEO’s have pulled over scoots with modulating head lamps because they thought they were illegal…and these are traffic cops. There’s nothing sayin this LEO was even a traffic cop, it might be that he was simply unaware of this law (just as TxHarley was before he was pulled over).

I think this is part of the problem, instead of thanking the officers for standing up for the sheeple who are unwilling or unable to stand up for themselves, we pick the LEO’s apart on trivialities like not having a $5.00 sticker.

I'm sure none of you guys have ever been cut a break from a LEO https://www.hdforums.com/m_1919014/tm.htm

Sorry guys, I give this guy a pass.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Lowridin
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: Lowridin

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence
however- what many people fail to realize is that once the officers shift ends, hes on 'his' time. if he chose to ride wearing nothing but a neon thong- thats his choice.
With all due respect, but I couldn't disagree with you more surrounding the above statement. This goes back to my opening statement wherein I feel that public servants 'shift/clock' is all encompassing. Public servants - in my view - should 'know the deal' upon voluntarily entering into such a profession. I feel as though - on duty or off - they should comport themselves to a standard in accordance with and representative of their chosen field of service. Frankly, I'd take issue with a cop who took it upon himself to 'bend the rules here and there' while - as you say - on his own time. To me, that particular individual is not worthy of the respect that the uniform holds. To me, it has as much to do with the integrity and character of an individual as with the uniform. And this would include his being either on or off duty. Merely my opinion on the matter as I hope we can agree to disagree on this particular circumstance.
Have you ever bent the rules? Is it ok just because you don't wear a uniform? If everyone held themselves to the same standardswe expectof LEO,s, we wouldn't need them would we. To all who don't like selective enforcement let me ask this; Have you ever been stopped for a traffic offense and been given a warning when you could have in fact been given a citation? Can you say selective enforcement.
Everyone doesn't hold themselves to the same standards we expect of LEO's because "everyone" hasn't taken an oath to uphold the law as LEO's have. Right or wrong?
Brilliant. Because we haven't taken an oath to uphold the law, we are therefore free to break it. Absolutely effin amazing.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:20 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DirtyDave

If he was setting the example he WOULD have the sticker or wear a helment.
You see thats the problem here, there is no example to be set, in this whole ordeal.

The sticker is not required by Law, it is nothing more than a sticker that implies you have the qualifications to not wear a helmet in Texas, kinda like the Handicap tags you can get to hang on your mirror in a cage.

Just like me, I have the qualifications to ride in Texas without a helmet, but I don't have a Texas sticker on my Pennsylvania Tag.(That would actually be illegal)

The No Helmet Exemption in Pennsylvania and Ohio has been a moneymaker for West Virginia.
Here where I live, you need to cross from 4 to 13 miles of WV to get from PA into Ohio(depending on where you cross), and guys will not don the helmet for that short streach and then whine when they get nabbed.

ORIGINAL: DirtyDave
I guess you should have asked him why he didn't have the sticker.
That would be way tooo easy.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence
however- what many people fail to realize is that once the officers shift ends, hes on 'his' time. if he chose to ride wearing nothing but a neon thong- thats his choice.
With all due respect, but I couldn't disagree with you more surrounding the above statement. This goes back to my opening statement wherein I feel that public servants 'shift/clock' is all encompassing. Public servants - in my view - should 'know the deal' upon voluntarily entering into such a profession. I feel as though - on duty or off - they should comport themselves to a standard in accordance with and representative of their chosen field of service. Frankly, I'd take issue with a cop who took it upon himself to 'bend the rules here and there' while - as you say - on his own time. To me, that particular individual is not worthy of the respect that the uniform holds. To me, it has as much to do with the integrity and character of an individual as with the uniform. And this would include his being either on or off duty. Merely my opinion on the matter as I hope we can agree to disagree on this particular circumstance.
Have you ever bent the rules? Is it ok just because you don't wear a uniform? If everyone held themselves to the same standardswe expectof LEO,s, we wouldn't need them would we. To all who don't like selective enforcement let me ask this; Have you ever been stopped for a traffic offense and been given a warning when you could have in fact been given a citation? Can you say selective enforcement.
Everyone doesn't hold themselves to the same standards we expect of LEO's because "everyone" hasn't taken an oath to uphold the law as LEO's have. Right or wrong?
Brilliant. Because we haven't taken an oath to uphold the law, we are therefore free to break it. Absolutely effin amazing.
I didn't say that. I'm saying I didn't take a "oath" to uphold the law. If I do break the law I should expect to pay the consequences. If an LEO breaks the law he more than likely (in the case of minor infractions) would be able to slide by but at the same he would be breaking the oath he took. Subtle as it may be, there's a difference.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

When you took an oath to uphold the law was part of the oath only for 40 hours a week?
I didn't take an oath to uphold the law(Not a LEO myself), but I don't agree with folks maintaining that a LEO can't have aLIFE outside the JOB.

You are right, they take an Oath to Uphold The Law, and when they are on the JOB, a great percentage of them do. (every proffession has one or two bad apples)
But when they are OFF DUTY and OFF the JOB, they should be treated and expected to act, no better, or worse, than any other Law Abiding Person.(They are human also, folks tend to forget that fact)

Lots of folksshow that little jealouse streak when they only percieve that a LEO gets a "break". (We never do know the true facts do we?)

Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

When you took an oath to uphold the law was part of the oath only for 40 hours a week?
I didn't take an oath to uphold the law(Not a LEO myself), but I don't agree with folks maintaining that a LEO can't have aLIFE outside the JOB.

You are right, they take an Oath to Uphold The Law, and when they are on the JOB, a great percentage of them do. (every proffession has one or two bad apples)
But when they are OFF DUTY and OFF the JOB, they should be treated and expected to act, no better, or worse, than any other Law Abiding Person.(They are human also, folks tend to forget that fact)

Lots of folksshow that little jealouse streak when they only percieve that a LEO gets a "break". (We never do know the true facts do we?)
I'll try again. They don't take an oath to uphold the law "only when on the job" And yes, LEO's get breaks just as I'm suredoctors and lawyers and bakers practice professional courtesies. I know when I was a LEO I gave them and I got them. He!! I still get them today. But yes,whether they like it or not they are held to a higher standard. If they're not willing to accept that they're in the wrong job.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

Exactly.

If this thread has done anything, it's shown how our viewpoints and perspectives on law enforcement has changed over time. Was a time when a law enforcement officer would consider it an honor to be considered 'on the job' 24/7. And his actions (whether in or out of uniform) would reflect such a mindset. Nowadays, punch in - I'm a cop. Punch out - Time to go home and I'm no longera cop. Sorry, but I happen to think that such an approach is - well - pretty sorry in my opinion.
From no sticker to to a sorry bunch of cops......sheesh.

I just wonder if you know any LEO's, other than the ones that have chatted with you in a proffessional capacity.
I have a bunch of friends that range from PA State Troopers to local Township Cops, whenI lived in MD, about 40% of my neighbors were MD Troopers.
All a great bunch of folks, all UNDERPAID for what they do.
And now you want them to be "onduty" when they aren't on the clock. GeeI guess they should give up thier LIVES to public service. (Sadly, some do at the hands of others)

Being an Officer is a JOB, just like any other JOB, and when they are off the clock, they are off the JOB.

But still above the law.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:50 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

Let's not derail this thread even further with all the bulllshit.

Back on track. Simple question:

If an officer of the law chooses to ride without a helmet in the State of Texas, should he have the 'Helmet Exempt' sticker on his license tag? The same 'Helmet Exempt' sticker that - when on duty - he could pull one over for not having if they are not riding with a helmet.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Lowridin
Advanced

Lots of folksshow that little jealouse streak when they only percieve that a
I'll try again. They don't take an oath to uphold the law "only when on the job" And yes, LEO's get breaks just as I'm suredoctors and lawyers and bakers practice professional courtesies. I know when I was a LEO I gave them and I got them. He!! I still get them today. But yes,whether they like it or not they are held to a higher standard. If they're not willing to accept that they're in the wrong job.
So, help me out here. As a former LEO, you both gave and recieved "Proffessional Courtesies". Yet you say LEO'S should be held to higher standards. Appears you don't practice what you preach. Maybe you weren't willing to accept that and that is why you are no longer a LEO?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:00 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Let's not derail this thread even further with all the bulllshit.

Back on track. Simple question:

If an officer of the law chooses to ride without a helmet in the State of Texas, should he have the 'Helmet Exempt' sticker on his license tag? The same 'Helmet Exempt' sticker that - when on duty - he could pull one over for not having if they are not riding with a helmet.
Even simpler question...
Why should he, since it's not required by Law??

And a NEWSFLASH.....
If he wants to pull over a non helmet wearing rider with the sticker ....................

"Sir try your brakes, I didn't see a brake light at that last stop"
"Oh they do work"
"But since we're stopped.............".

Quick Reply: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?