General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:08 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007
hmmmmm.....

I don't think anyone has come out and stated that any law had been broken? Futher, no one has stated that having such a sticker is required by state law in turn. Not having a sticker, coupled with not riding with a helmet, is just cause for a law enforcement officer to pull one over. That said, the thread spoke to a law enforcement officer, in full uniform, riding without a helmet, sans a sticker. Nothing more. Nothing less.
No...... you said he should be setting an example since he was a LEO.

Since he wasn't breaking the LAW (to your knowledge since he didn't have a sticker) and he was on his own personal bike, just because he was in uniform and a LEO doesn't mean he had to have a sticker,

And actually if you really think about it, his uniform WAS his Sticker. ( It provides just about the same
information as the sticker to other LEO's and he didn't have to dole out the $5.00 Tax)

I am quite certian, that if he gets pulled over for not having a sticker, and not wearing a helmet, he would set a Great Example by showing the Officer stopping him the proper documentation, that allows him to do so.

I guess the moral of the story here is, TEXAS has a sticker that you can use to POSSIBLY stop a roadside chat with a LEO for not wearing your helmet, and if you are smart enough to research the LAWs andREGULATIONS in TEXAS(Or any other State you want to ride in), you won't have a LEO explaining them to you on the side of the Road.

Ignorace of the Law is NO EXCUSE.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:20 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lowridin

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence
however- what many people fail to realize is that once the officers shift ends, hes on 'his' time. if he chose to ride wearing nothing but a neon thong- thats his choice.
With all due respect, but I couldn't disagree with you more surrounding the above statement. This goes back to my opening statement wherein I feel that public servants 'shift/clock' is all encompassing. Public servants - in my view - should 'know the deal' upon voluntarily entering into such a profession. I feel as though - on duty or off - they should comport themselves to a standard in accordance with and representative of their chosen field of service. Frankly, I'd take issue with a cop who took it upon himself to 'bend the rules here and there' while - as you say - on his own time. To me, that particular individual is not worthy of the respect that the uniform holds. To me, it has as much to do with the integrity and character of an individual as with the uniform. And this would include his being either on or off duty. Merely my opinion on the matter as I hope we can agree to disagree on this particular circumstance.
Have you ever bent the rules? Is it ok just because you don't wear a uniform? If everyone held themselves to the same standardswe expectof LEO,s, we wouldn't need them would we. To all who don't like selective enforcement let me ask this; Have you ever been stopped for a traffic offense and been given a warning when you could have in fact been given a citation? Can you say selective enforcement.
Everyone doesn't hold themselves to the same standards we expect of LEO's because "everyone" hasn't taken an oath to uphold the law as LEO's have. Right or wrong?

Old 07-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I think the guy was a knot head. While in uniformhe should follow the law by wearing the helmet for at least two reasons. The correct reason is that in uniform, on or off duty, he is representing the Police Dept. The other reason that you would think he would have thought about is how many folks are looking for an excuse to call and complain about something. I doubt his supervisors appreciate having to answer all those calls. In street cloths he can do what ever he wants, it's his business. I guess this is left over from the 20 I did in the military, it was 24/7. Is a cop ever really off duty?

Old 07-17-2007, 02:37 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: Lowridin

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence
however- what many people fail to realize is that once the officers shift ends, hes on 'his' time. if he chose to ride wearing nothing but a neon thong- thats his choice.
With all due respect, but I couldn't disagree with you more surrounding the above statement. This goes back to my opening statement wherein I feel that public servants 'shift/clock' is all encompassing. Public servants - in my view - should 'know the deal' upon voluntarily entering into such a profession. I feel as though - on duty or off - they should comport themselves to a standard in accordance with and representative of their chosen field of service. Frankly, I'd take issue with a cop who took it upon himself to 'bend the rules here and there' while - as you say - on his own time. To me, that particular individual is not worthy of the respect that the uniform holds. To me, it has as much to do with the integrity and character of an individual as with the uniform. And this would include his being either on or off duty. Merely my opinion on the matter as I hope we can agree to disagree on this particular circumstance.
Have you ever bent the rules? Is it ok just because you don't wear a uniform? If everyone held themselves to the same standardswe expectof LEO,s, we wouldn't need them would we. To all who don't like selective enforcement let me ask this; Have you ever been stopped for a traffic offense and been given a warning when you could have in fact been given a citation? Can you say selective enforcement.
Everyone doesn't hold themselves to the same standards we expect of LEO's because "everyone" hasn't taken an oath to uphold the law as LEO's have. Right or wrong?
Exactly.

If this thread has done anything, it's shown how our viewpoints and perspectives on law enforcement has changed over time. Was a time when a law enforcement officer would consider it an honor to be considered 'on the job' 24/7. And his actions (whether in or out of uniform) would reflect such a mindset. Nowadays, punch in - I'm a cop. Punch out - Time to go home and I'm no longera cop. Sorry, but I happen to think that such an approach is - well - pretty sorry in my opinion.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:38 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Keith_H

Sorry, I think the guy was a knot head. While in uniformhe should follow the law by wearing the helmet for at least two reasons. The correct reason is that in uniform, on or off duty, he is representing the Police Dept. The other reason that you would think he would have thought about is how many folks are looking for an excuse to call and complain about something. I doubt his supervisors appreciate having to answer all those calls. In street cloths he can do what ever he wants, it's his business. I guess this is left over from the 20 I did in the military, it was 24/7. Is a cop ever really off duty?

He wasn't breaking any law(To anyones knowledge)....... Texas is a "No Helmet Exemption State" as long as you follow thier exemption rules.
He didn't have$5.00 sticker on the bike he was riding, and for that matter, do we even know it was HIS BIKE, could've been a LOANER from the DEALER since his bike with the sticker was in for service.

OH THE MANY POSSIBILITIES THAT CAN ARISE FROM A TWO SECOND LOOK AT THE WORLD AROUND YOU, AND MAKING UNFOUNDED ASSUMPTIONS.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:46 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The 24/7 argument has always been sore spot with both Cops and Citizens.

Am I On-Duty 24/7...NO. Do I have Law Enforcment Authority 24/7? YES.Does that mean that an Officer should be on the look out for traffic violations, etc during his off duty time? I sure hope that isn't what is expected. Most guys I know will intervene, if they are witness to a serious (person) crime that is in progress, but that too depends. For example, if I am walkin by the Stop-n-Rob on my day off, and I witness an armed robbery in progess, what do I do? If armed, I will #1: Call 911.....#2: wait for the bad guy to exit, and from a position of cover, order him to the ground and gunpoint. Lets assume I did not carry that day? Sorry guys....it's better to be a live witness then intervene, and become a dead hero.

As far as conduct? 24/7.....you can't enforce the law for 8 hrs a day, and then ignore it on your own time. Doesn't work that way, and sets a **** poor example.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he wasn't breaking the law thanthere shouldn't be a complaint about him not wearing one.Thought the threadstarted out that he was breaking the law because he didn't have a sticker. [&o]

Old 07-17-2007, 02:53 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Exactly.

If this thread has done anything, it's shown how our viewpoints and perspectives on law enforcement has changed over time. Was a time when a law enforcement officer would consider it an honor to be considered 'on the job' 24/7. And his actions (whether in or out of uniform) would reflect such a mindset. Nowadays, punch in - I'm a cop. Punch out - Time to go home and I'm no longera cop. Sorry, but I happen to think that such an approach is - well - pretty sorry in my opinion.
From no sticker to to a sorry bunch of cops......sheesh.

I just wonder if you know any LEO's, other than the ones that have chatted with you in a proffessional capacity.
I have a bunch of friends that range from PA State Troopers to local Township Cops, whenI lived in MD, about 40% of my neighbors were MD Troopers.
All a great bunch of folks, all UNDERPAID for what they do.
And now you want them to be "onduty" when they aren't on the clock. GeeI guess they should give up thier LIVES to public service. (Sadly, some do at the hands of others)

Being an Officer is a JOB, just like any other JOB, and when they are off the clock, they are off the JOB.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No...... you said he should be setting an example since he was a LEO.

Since he wasn't breaking the LAW (to your knowledge since he didn't have a sticker) and he was on his own personal bike, just because he was in uniform and a LEO doesn't mean he had to have a sticker,

And actually if you really think about it, his uniform WAS his Sticker. ( It provides just about the same
information as the sticker to other LEO's and he didn't have to dole out the $5.00 Tax)

Ignorace of the Law is NO EXCUSE.
I spent 20 years in uniform and as a NCO I set the example every day!

The uniform means he will not get pulled over, not that he has the training/insurance. (I've had personnel experience in this matter) If he was setting the example he WOULD have the sticker or wear a helment.

Now maybe it wasn't his bike, or he has it but didn't put it on yet (maybe waiting on personnelized tags or something/ not familar with TX DMV)
I like to think that the LEO was in the right.
I guess you should have asked him why he didn't have the sticker.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:09 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

Exactly.

From no sticker to to a sorry bunch of cops......sheesh.

I just wonder if you know any LEO's, other than the ones that have chatted with you in a proffessional capacity.
I have a bunch of friends that range from PA State Troopers to local Township Cops, whenI lived in MD, about 40% of my neighbors were MD Troopers.
All a great bunch of folks, all UNDERPAID for what they do.
And now you want them to be "onduty" when they aren't on the clock. GeeI guess they should give up thier LIVES to public service. (Sadly, some do at the hands of others)

Being an Officer is a JOB, just like any other JOB, and when they are off the clock, they are off the JOB.
When you took an oath to uphold the law was part of the oath only for 40 hours a week?

Quick Reply: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?