General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Interesting about the 'exempt sticker'..

Do they also make a notation of the 'exemption' on your drivers license, along with the motorcycle endorsement, so if they run a check on your drivers license it will show your are 'helmet exempt'?

It seems to me that by placing the 'exemption sticker' on the bike tag, it is saying that the bike (and not the rider) are helmet exempt, and that anyone riding that specific bike could go helmet free, even if they don't meet the required conditions.

Also, what happens if you rent or borrow a bike which doesn't have the stick on the tag? Sounds like it could get kind of confusing.
No, there is no visible mention of the 'helmet exempt' sticker on one's drivers license. That is, separate and apart from the motorcycle endorsement itself.

And by placing the sticker on the tag, it is NOT saying that the BIKE is exempt at all. In reading the guidelines, it speaks specifically to the persons operating or riding on the bike. It states the following:

"Persons operating, or riding upon, a motorcycle with a helmet exemption sticker displayed on the license plate or license plate mounting bracket are presumed to meet the training or insurance requirements for riding without a helmet."

At least, that's my understanding of the deal.
But my question is, if you are 'exempt' from wearing a helmet in Texas (have the required training and/or insurance) and you rent a bike that does not have the 'sticker' on the tag, are you required to wear a helmet while riding that rented bike?

Or, what if I am not helmet exempt (don't have the required training and/or insurance), borrow your bike with the exempt sticker, and decided to not wear a helmet.

If the police pull up behind you when you are riding down the road how would they know if the person riding the bike has met the requirements to ride helmet free? All they know if that the bike someone is riding has an exempt sticker. They don't know anything about the rider, or even if the registered owner is the person on the bike.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence
however- what many people fail to realize is that once the officers shift ends, hes on 'his' time. if he chose to ride wearing nothing but a neon thong- thats his choice.
With all due respect, but I couldn't disagree with you more surrounding the above statement. This goes back to my opening statement wherein I feel that public servants 'shift/clock' is all encompassing. Public servants - in my view - should 'know the deal' upon voluntarily entering into such a profession. I feel as though - on duty or off - they should comport themselves to a standard in accordance with and representative of their chosen field of service. Frankly, I'd take issue with a cop who took it upon himself to 'bend the rules here and there' while - as you say - on his own time. To me, that particular individual is not worthy of the respect that the uniform holds. To me, it has as much to do with the integrity and character of an individual as with the uniform. And this would include his being either on or off duty. Merely my opinion on the matter as I hope we can agree to disagree on this particular circumstance.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:44 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

1. But my question is, if you are 'exempt' from wearing a helmet in Texas (have the required training and/or insurance) and you rent a bike that does not have the 'sticker' on the tag, are you required to wear a helmet while riding that rented bike?

2. Or, what if I am not helmet exempt (don't have the required training and/or insurance), borrow your bike with the exempt sticker, and decided to not wear a helmet.

3. If the police pull up behind you when you are riding down the road how would they know if the person riding the bike has met the requirements to ride helmet free? All they know if that the bike someone is riding has an exempt sticker. They don't know anything about the rider, or even if the registered owner is the person on the bike.
1. No you are not. I think we're stretching things a bit here in an attempt to either cause a stir or what not. Let's exercise a little common sense. If you're on a rental bike in Texas, you are not required to have a helmet while out on the roadways. If you choose to go that route, be prepared for the possibility (albeit remote) of being pulled over and be ready to demonstrate not only proof of insurance but medical as well. Technically, you ARE required to wear a helmet while on the dealership property.

2. In such an instance, you would knowingly be circumventing the law. Again, I think you know the answer to these questions prior to. So I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here?

3. The police wouldn't know. How could they? Think of the entire 'sticker thing' as one being on the honor system. It is presumed that if one has a sticker on a bike that the individual riding said bike is in fact the owner and has met the required mandates for same. Simple as that. One can twist it however they wish. That's up to them I guess.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

then perhaps the officer should be paid for being 'on duty for 24hrs'?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

im a cop. i ride a city issued road king. i also own my personal road king. i dont have an inspection sticker on my personal ride. is that wrong? well- legally, yes. i choose to take the chance of being stopped by an on-duty officer and being ticketed for the offense. its a personal choice that i made- i dont want a sticker on my $20,000 motorcycle. am i setting a 'bad' example? well- to some people, yes. am i held to a higher-standard? yes- as i should be.

however- what many people fail to realize is that once the officers shift ends, hes on 'his' time. if he chose to ride wearing nothing but a neon thong- thats his choice.

also- this is also the same guy who YOU call when you need help. hes the guy who runs TOWARDS gun fire when everyone else is running AWAY from it. hes the cop who stops speeders in school-zones (the schools where YOUR kids attend). he fights the thugs, the drug dealers and the robbers. while many will say 'thats his j-o-b', it is. how many people would have the ***** to be a cop?

if he wanted to ride with no helmet, so be it.

i dont see people ranting about 'joe the plumber' or 'ed the electrician' riding without a "sticker" or a helmet.
That's all good and well,and I assume you would not evenconsider writing a citation to any other rider not wearing a helmet while riding a bike without the exemption sticker.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe in 'selective enforcement' of motor vehicle statues and ordinances based on nothing more than who you happen to be.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:49 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

If that's your reply, then you missed my point. Again, hopefully we can agree to disagree on this one. No disrespect intended.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:53 AM
japel
Tourer

Being a cop yes I do consider myself to have to hold myself to a higher standard. And on that same point it is technically in our job description. I remember your last post about the helmet exempt sticker...but hey, look at the bright side. He was in uniform and not naked like the other riders you passed that very same day.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

im a cop. i ride a city issued road king. i also own my personal road king. i dont have an inspection sticker on my personal ride. is that wrong? well- legally, yes. i choose to take the chance of being stopped by an on-duty officer and being ticketed for the offense. its a personal choice that i made- i dont want a sticker on my $20,000 motorcycle. am i setting a 'bad' example? well- to some people, yes. am i held to a higher-standard? yes- as i should be.

also- this is also the same guy who YOU call when you need help. hes the guy who runs TOWARDS gun fire when everyone else is running AWAY from it. hes the cop who stops speeders in school-zones (the schools where YOUR kids attend). he fights the thugs, the drug dealers and the robbers. while many will say 'thats his j-o-b', it is. how many people would have the ***** to be a cop?

if he wanted to ride with no helmet, so be it.

i dont see people ranting about 'joe the plumber' or 'ed the electrician' riding without a "sticker" or a helmet.
Being a former LEO I have to ask: What do you think your chances are of being written up by a fellow LEO who was on duty? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 07-17-2007, 11:58 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Let's not get stupid here. It's called holding yourself to a higher standard, NOT being on duty.

I agree...the sticker thing is a Minor Violation, and hundreds of citizens probably violate it, and get away with it each and every day. But, should an LEO be held to a higher standard, or not? I say yes, he should, as LEOs are in a fishbowl. Each and every person that knows who you are, watches to make sure that you are doing things right. And if you don't, they tell everybody they know about it.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me it's simple, either he is in compliance with the law or he is not. If he is, it's all good. If he is not, he needs to comply just like all of us are expected to. No higher standard, no lower standard.

Quick Reply: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?