General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?

ORIGINAL: ckgdrums

If your point is that he should, as a Police Officer, be setting an example.... then, yes, I agree with you. He should have the sticker on his tag, or be wearing a helmet.
Yes, that was my point.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Law Dawg

Well maybe he has an exemption sticker maybe not. But the bottom line is that he is in uniform and I'd venture to bet that the helmet is an offical part of that uniform. It also probably states that while operating his state issued Motorcycle and in uniform you will wear your helmet. At worse IMO he's out of uniform an subject to internal department discipline. Could of got his name off his name tag and reported him or made an inquiry regarding the situation.
You are assuming that he was a motor cop. The guy was on his personal bike.

I agree, he should have had either the sticker or a helmet on his headwhen riding his personal bike inuniform or not.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Law Dawg
Road Warrior

Your correct, after rereading the initial post I saw where it stated his Personal bike... Soooo with that said Y'all are correct either a properly displayed sticker or wear the helmet....

Old 07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting about the 'exempt sticker'..

Do they also make a notation of the 'exemption' on your drivers license, along with the motorcycle endorsement, so if they run a check on your drivers license it will show your are 'helmet exempt'?

It seems to me that by placing the 'exemption sticker' on the bike tag, it is saying that the bike (and not the rider) are helmet exempt, and that anyone riding that specific bike could go helmet free, even if they don't meet the required conditions.

Also, what happens if you rent or borrow a bike which doesn't have the stick on the tag? Sounds like it could get kind of confusing.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Interesting about the 'exempt sticker'..

Do they also make a notation of the 'exemption' on your drivers license, along with the motorcycle endorsement, so if they run a check on your drivers license it will show your are 'helmet exempt'?

It seems to me that by placing the 'exemption sticker' on the bike tag, it is saying that the bike (and not the rider) are helmet exempt, and that anyone riding that specific bike could go helmet free, even if they don't meet the required conditions.

Also, what happens if you rent or borrow a bike which doesn't have the stick on the tag? Sounds like it could get kind of confusing.
No, there is no visible mention of the 'helmet exempt' sticker on one's drivers license. That is, separate and apart from the motorcycle endorsement itself.

And by placing the sticker on the tag, it is NOT saying that the BIKE is exempt at all. In reading the guidelines, it speaks specifically to the persons operating or riding on the bike. It states the following:

"Persons operating, or riding upon, a motorcycle with a helmet exemption sticker displayed on the license plate or license plate mounting bracket are presumed to meet the training or insurance requirements for riding without a helmet."

At least, that's my understanding of the deal.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

While i agree with you Whole Heartedly, I ask myself Who was gonna pull him over lol. If I was a LEO Id bend the laws a little too, Once again though they should by example. I agree with you,. im just sayin

Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM
greyhd
Intermediate

Areon duty motors required to wear a helmet in TX. I would have to think yes...

I think if he was in uniform his department would require him to wear a helmet, on or off duty, as this would complete the uniform. To me it would be the same to see him strolling around the mall with his uniform shirt unbuttoned/untucked. It creates an unprofessional appearance to the public.

Just the other night I was out at alocal outdoor mall where the police patrol in a plated Chrysler GEM. They were obviously not wearing seatbelts while cruising around in the publics view. I called the shift supervisor that night.

Any chance you got his name?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

im a cop. i ride a city issued road king. i also own my personal road king. i dont have an inspection sticker on my personal ride. is that wrong? well- legally, yes. i choose to take the chance of being stopped by an on-duty officer and being ticketed for the offense. its a personal choice that i made- i dont want a sticker on my $20,000 motorcycle. am i setting a 'bad' example? well- to some people, yes. am i held to a higher-standard? yes- as i should be.

however- what many people fail to realize is that once the officers shift ends, hes on 'his' time. if he chose to ride wearing nothing but a neon thong- thats his choice.

also- this is also the same guy who YOU call when you need help. hes the guy who runs TOWARDS gun fire when everyone else is running AWAY from it. hes the cop who stops speeders in school-zones (the schools where YOUR kids attend). he fights the thugs, the drug dealers and the robbers. while many will say 'thats his j-o-b', it is. how many people would have the ***** to be a cop?

if he wanted to ride with no helmet, so be it.

i dont see people ranting about 'joe the plumber' or 'ed the electrician' riding without a "sticker" or a helmet.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:29 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: ckgdrums

If your point is that he should, as a Police Officer, be setting an example.... then, yes, I agree with you. He should have the sticker on his tag, or be wearing a helmet.
As a LEO, I agree.

Kansas is Not a Mandatory Helmet state. I ride back n forth to work, most times in uniform. Despite the fact that I am not required to wear a helmet, if I am in my uniform, I DO. I apologize to those of you that are anti helmet for this comment, but I personally think that it looks bad for an Officer to be riding w/o one, even if NOT required.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: greyhd
They were obviously not wearing seatbelts while cruising around in the publics view. I called the shift supervisor that night.
jesus christ

Quick Reply: Cops, Full Uniform, No Helmet. Your thoughts?