General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has any one purchased or have experience with those front brake locks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 10:20 AM
ChopSticks
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Has any one purchased or have experience with those front brake locks?

I've used various disc locks in the past from XENA xx line to cylinder ones. Last year the police ended up grinding off one of my disc locks (even though the bike was legally parked and I actually won the case) which caused damage to the front forks (basically grinded into the lower sleeve). So I was thinking of getting of these as a replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Lock-Theft-Motorcycles-Anti/dp/B0745G6T27/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=front+brake+lock&qid=1575475689&sr=8-3#customerReviews https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Lock-Theft-Motorcycles-Anti/dp/B0745G6T27/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=front+brake+lock&qid=1575475689&sr=8-3#customerReviews

I understand locks do not prevent theft as anyone that really wants your bike is going to get it (i.e. grinder) but it keeps most people honest. My only concern with this type of lock is the constant pressure on the brake MC piston. I aware people usually type their levers down when bleeding brakes to get all the air out over night, but should I be concerned with having the brake lever activated for the majority of the bikes life? Since it's parked more hours than ever can be rode. Anyone have/had issues with these types of locks?

Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

I have no experience with that type of lock. At the very least, you’re not likely to forget the brake rotor is locked and try to ride off with the front wheel immobilized. I’ve done that.

The down side is that it would be pretty easy to cut the brake line and roll the bike away, so I wouldn’t use it.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 12-04-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:24 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,532 Posts

i have no experience with that type of brake lock, but I really would like to hear more of the story on your parking case.

The following users liked this post:
Drakhen99 (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 11:35 AM
Silent Glider
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Bought one of those.
My brake lever would not allow the lock to close.
No go. Wasted coin.

my bike is a 2010 FLHT, with original equipment.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:51 PM
ChopSticks
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i have no experience with that type of brake lock, but I really would like to hear more of the story on your parking case.
Ugh... this story stresses me every time I think of it, but here ya go

Background: I'm in NYC so NYPD goes around a few times in the summer months with the flat beds and just randomly tows motorcycles because ticketing isn't enough? I've been able to find a couple of spots that the signs are not your typical "No Standing, Commercial Vehicle" (with arrows pointing in both directions, this is important). On this particular day I was parked near a construction site (this spot is now a bike lane) and there was a "No Parking" sign with one arrow pointing to the left and 15ft or so feet away there was a "No Standing, Commercial Vehicles Only" sign with one arrow pointing to the right. This was also one of the few signs that were not double sided the back of the sign was blacked out. So basically the 15ft or so between the signs is technically safe for anyone to park, which I do at the corner near the blacked out sign just to allow another car or truck to take the actual spot. I also take a picture of my spot bike and the signs (get enough tickets and this is just a normal thing now).

Fast forward 8 or so hours a co worker of my is walking to our other building which my bike is parked right between and calls me around 5:15 saying "Hey they are towing your bike!" First thought was she was just playing a prank/joking but she was like seriously at the time she was with my manager too which said they were grinding my lock as she was on the phone. So I ran down there a couple blocks away and sure enough the lock was cut at that point and they were scooting it back and forth (the forks were also locked but the nightster lets you move the bars to almost straight).

I immediately start a discussion with the tow-ers (NYPD) who already have another scoot on the flatbed and asked them what are they doing as I was legally parked? Even walked them over to the signs to show them (the sign had been moved so the black side is now on the side facing the street and the arrows are facing left but on the side facing the sidewalk if that matters). I showed them the picture of that morning of the sign being the other way. I pleaded and mentioned since I'm already here and it's technically not on the flatbed yet let's all just forget about it and call it a wash, I won't argue for the cost of the lock and you save me time from having to go to the pound. Nope, they're response was "Doesn't matter, once the lock is cut they need to tow it." Bullshit, as I was seeing this discussion was going no where, I then sat on my bike which they said they would call NYPD to get me arrested for obstructing their job. I tell them to call NYPD.

A cop shows up, explain the situation to him, even show him the signs, he agrees with me. Then talks to the tow-ers but says he can't do anything since it's handled by a different department? (The tow-ers are in an NYPD flatbed/towtruck). I'm like wtf, can you at least write up a statement? He said nope, I guess it wouldn't be in his best interest as they are both under the NYPD? Similar to cops writing DA workers tickets and vice versa.

I still hold my ground and say no I'm not letting them take it call a supervisor. During this time, another metermaid walks by which coincidentally the day before I had parked 10 or so blocks away and this very metermaid was issuing tickets on the street (this time I was parked in Commercial area) but I had asked the metermaid if I was okay to park there and he said it was all good, don't worry about it. I called him over to plead my cause and act as a character witness? as I am just not purposely trying to take advantage of the system as the previous day I had specifically asked about a different parking situation.

Nonetheless, still no luck. A supervisor finally comes it's around 6:10 at this point, we're in the middle of midtown, most of my coworkers and passers are seeing this unfold (I actually have to babysit my new born nephew at 6:30 for the first time) so it's just a **** storm at this point. She asks what's happening, I explain the whole situation again, even walk over to the signs and show her (this time the signs are facing the same direction as when I originally parked). She is clearly pissed, because she knows everyone has just wasted her time. She pulls the tow worker over and ask for his side, then you can hear her say "You see this ****? look, what you thinking" and shakes her head.

Finally after another 10 or so minutes she says I can go, she'll record everything but I have to still fight both the citation (mind you my bike never had a citation on it to being with) and the tow fee but they won't actually tow the bike today. She hands me the citation, I look at the time, it was created after all of this, most likely while i was sitting on the bike but definitely not before they cut the lock since I have the call logs from my co worker. These mother ****ers were trying to cover their asses. Any who, she mentioned that I can take her badge # and name down and put it in the ticket dispute and everything should be good. So after a couple hours of this bullshit I was able to ride away, wasn't until a couple days later I noticed that they grinder marred up the lower fork legs and I still have a case open with the comptroller for damages.

Sorry for the wall a text but that's the story

Old 12-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,660 Likes on 1,261 Posts

If I had one of those, I would have to lock my helmet to it just to remind me that it’s there ! !

Old 12-04-2019, 05:10 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,207 Likes on 2,886 Posts

If you're gonna stick a lock to the brake rotor make sure you attach one of those red REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT ribbons to the handle bars or you will end up on the ground. Seen it happen several times.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hey Man:
Iron lHorse (12-04-2019), Uncle G. (12-06-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 05:28 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 761 Likes on 407 Posts

I'm not sure it would cause any damage but I can't shake the thought of a device putting full pressure on my brakes while the bike is parked for hours at a time. Just doesn't make sense to me. Not to mention someone could snip the brake line or remove master cylinder cap and it would be useless. I would pick up another disc brake lock. I prefer the one with alarm as a deterrent and the fact if I forget and stand the bike up the alarm will sound way before I get moving.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:04 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,532 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoppingTacos
Sorry for the wall a text but that's the story
damn. i guess that's life in the city. glad i don't have to deal with that. so did you fight the citation and tow fee?

Old 12-04-2019, 06:11 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,285 Likes on 3,169 Posts

I bet I could pop that at the hinge with a screwdriver, it's 3/16" of aluminum.
Pretty color though.

Quick Reply: Has any one purchased or have experience with those front brake locks?