General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever been pulled over and not been given a ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Crex39
Uh yeah, the system is not corrupt is it?
Well.....not responding to the Cop with "WTF do you want" would constitute "the right way to act".

Most times, the more attitude ya give, the more the cop writes.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM
jward
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have....

Old 07-08-2011, 09:33 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most recent warning was after being pulled over for running triple digits in a 55mph zone. The deputy told me he'd love to be on his bike right now, to slow down and be careful. After checking my DL and registration, he turned me loose. That would have been an expensive ticket (reckless driving charge).

Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I have been pulled over many times on a bike, and let go many times when I deserved a ticket....
I try to be polite and courtious to the leo....
Just this last Saturday coming home from a run via a few beer stops....I was on 99 south, just exited on the cross town so I turned it up on the curve, looked in the mirror and theres the lights....
I pulled over, took off my FF helmet and gloves, as the CHP walks up to me, he asks if I knew why he pulled me over, I told him speeding, I like corners, He ask for my paper work and goes back to his Unit, After awhile he comes back and said you already have one speeding ticket, I said yes, He handed me my peper work and said have a good day and take it easy....
I was wearing my Colors at the time....My guess was he didn't want to write up a Marine on the Nations birthday weekend....
Ive had a few other stops with the same outcome....

Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by CSI
Well.....not responding to the Cop with "WTF do you want" would constitute "the right way to act".

Most times, the more attitude ya give, the more the cop writes.
Yep and the trooper said it was because I was calm and explained my reasoning without getting mad (1st time that ever paid off). He stopped me for running a red light that would not change (weigh tripped). I explained that the instructor told my wife in MSF that if the light doesn't change after a cycle or two you can proceed if no traffic is coming. He said he never heard of that. Anyway, he said the ticket was $300 (WTF) and he would run my record and give me a warning if nothing other than a speeding ticket showed up. 1st warning ever in my life and I didn't even have the old lady show her ****!!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My story... not on a bike, in a truck.

I am in MD heading west from the Fort Meade area into Carroll County, and it had just started snowing when I left. I was doing about 40mph on a state highway in the left lane, when I approached a left lane entrance ramp... Driver comes onto the highway doing about 12mph, which caused me to have to either brake hard or change lanes. As I changed lanes I hit a buildup of snow/ice between the lanes and my rear-end broke loose.... after sliding this way and that, and avoiding the overpass wall, and other cars, my tires finally got traction and I was propelled off the highway into one of those big freeway lights. T-boned the light, knocking it over, etc..

StateTrooper shows up about 5 mins later, and allows me to sit in his car (it is cold and snowing) while he writes me 2 tickets!

1. for Excessive Speed for Weather Conditions, to which I argued that I was moving with the flow of traffic. His cute response was "I don't see everyone else knocking over light poles".
2. was for Failure to Avoid a Collision. well no **** Sherlock

I went to court, and the judge threw them both out, as the trooper was not there to witness the event. Poor guy was having a bad day in court, as it seemed that most of his tickets were being tossed that day. Only time I attempted to fight a ticket, and won... felt really good!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wife and I are coming back from Austin one night (in the truck). We stopped at Krispy Kreme on the way outta town. We were almost home and a Sheriff's deputy pulls me over doing 80something in a 70. He goes through the whole "what's your hurry", "is there an emergency" yadayada dialogue. I told him no we were just headed home. He comes back and tell me that he's just going to give me a warning. My wife, being the ditz she can be sometimes, says "you're really nice" reaches back grabs the box and asks him "You wanna donut"? At first he just kinda stared (or glared) at her, then realizing that she was just a dingbat trying to be nice, smiled at her and said "Careful, I haven't written this down as a warning yet".

On another side of this, to any of you who's states offer Iraqi Freedom, or Enduring Freedom Veteran Plates, and qualify for them, I highly suggest getting them. Mine have gotten me outta at least 3 or 4 tickets. You wouldn't believe how many of your HP officers have served over there. They come up start asking where were you over there and such. And by the time the conversation is over you drive off with a "Slow it down a little".

Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM
garslayer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pulled over a few days before Thanksgiving. I was going to run a fast yellow light, saw the law and came to a stop without passing the limit line. After the light turned green, the lights came on and a quick shot from the wailer got me pissed: "What the heck did I do?" I thought. Cop walks over and asked for license etc. and proceeds to pull out his ticket book. I asked him why he pulled me over and he handed me a voucher for a twenty pound turkey.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:12 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

all the damn time....get pulled over...hassled for usually about 15 minutes or so and when they can't find any violations they can write me up for they let me go.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM
TNReb
Advanced

I know this thread is mostly about motorcycles. But since I've only owned one for about a month, I haven't been pulled over yet. *knock on wood*

Regular vehicles? That's a different story! Every single time I've been pulled over I've admitted to my mistake and not made up excuses. It just depends on the cop and the mood he's in.

Age 16 - Ticket. Doing about 50-55 in a 35. Deserved it.
Age 16 - Ticket. Doing about 45-50 in a 35. Deserved it.
Age 17 - Ticket. Burned rubber in front of my friends being cute. Deserved it.

Age 18 - Warning. Rolled through a stop sign at 3am outside of city limits on a gravel road. Cop was just looking for drunks. Nice cop guilty of nothing else to do in a small town.

Age 19 - Warning. Doing about 45 in a 35 through a small town. I wasn't trying to speed - just a "speed trap" area. Cop was very nice and let me go. I expected right the opposite.

Age 20 - Warning. 4am, I pulled out of an apartment complex. Cop said I pulled out "right in front" of him. I didn't. He was being a complete jerk and looking for drunk drivers. But he had nothing on me and let me go.

Age 20 - Ticket. Rolled through a stop sign on college campus. I guess I deserved it.

Age 20 - Warning. Cop pulled me over because there was a beer bottle on the bumper of my truck. I didn't notice it and when I backed out, he saw it fall off and shatter in the road. He assumed I'd been drinking. I hand't. He was very nice and let me go.

Age 21 - Ticket. 3am, I saw a cop parked and watching campus traffic, looking for drunks. I commented to my friend "I better stop.. he'll be after us". I come to a complete stop. The wheels lock and the truck rolls back. He pulls me over and says I did a rolling stop. I politely explained that I saw him sitting there and purposely came to a complete stop. He disagreed and ticketed me. The only ticket I ever got that I didn't deserve. That cop was a genuine liar and a-hole.

Age 22 - Warning. Cop pulled me over for doing 51 in a 45 and having a rear tail light out. I had just went to the store to buy a bulb and had it laying in the front seat. Cop was nice and let me go.

Age 23 - Ticket. Doing 78 in a 65. I admitted my fault and apologized. Cop had a very crappy attitude and ticketed me. I absolutely deserved the ticket, but there was no sense in acting like an a-hole.

At that point.. I learned my lesson. Come to complete stops and go the speed limit. I never got pulled over again until....

Age 29 - Ticket. Train tracks ran parallel to the road I about to make a right turn on to. A police officer was parked at the corner watching traffic. I saw him. As I approached the intersection, I stopped on the train tracks. After I get through the intersection, he follows me half a mile and pulls me over. He ticketed me for stopping on the tracks. I just said "I'm sorry - I saw you sitting there, but I simply didn't know it was against the law. Obviously not the smartest thing, but I was only there a few seconds. My fault". He then lectured me about how stupid it was and how some kid got killed in the neighboring county for trying to beat a train. Yadda yadda.. cop was nothing but a grade a ********. Court threw out the ticket when I showed up and explained.

It's been over a year since I've been pulled over and hope to keep it that way.

Quick Reply: Ever been pulled over and not been given a ticket?