General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever been pulled over and not been given a ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:08 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I ran a stop sign in Sturgis at 2 AM a couple of years ago. Just putting along going from the Civic Center to the on ramp at I-90. Didn't see no sign.

A squad came up behind me with lights on and I pulled over for it to pass and it didn't. Opps.

After providing my license, registration and insurance card,I was asked if I had been drinking. Ans: No, I am a non drinker. Asked if I took drugs. Ans: No, I do not take drugs. I did volunteer that I have been known to over eat on occasion. Not even a smile from the trooper.

Then a series of questions about where I was going and what I was doing. When I told him that I had got separated downtown from my two sons as they could not find a grey bearded man with a black T-shirt on so I was going to go east on I-90 to the Elkview Campground at exit 37 he said that it was south and not east. I reminded the young trooper that I-90 was an official East West interstate route and did not matter what kind of bends and turns it made locally.

He finally said that he would not give an old Chief a ticket. I had managed to get in that I was a retired Police Chief.

So I didn't get the ticket because I was only going 20 in a thirty, very old or a retired chief. I hope it was because I was not drunk, stoned and older than dirt. My sons got a big laugh out of it back at the campgrounds.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-08-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:03 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

been pulled over and got a warning lots of times,got a tickets about the same,half of them were bs,half of them i earned fair and square..i got pulled over once,clocked going 84 in a 25.got a warning and yelled at,i was late to work and it was a 4 lane empty road.thought for sure i was screwed.passed a statey on the ohio turnpike going 80,i saw him and took off.20 miles down the road at a toll gate,the car in front of me was taking forever to go,after sitting there for over 5 min.a statey pulls up behind me.the gate clears up,i get pulled over just past the gate.while i was sitting there another statey car pulled up behind my new friend.i thought here we go,im going to the grey bar inn for the nite for the first time.i gave him a sob story about the girl i just broke up with after i found out she was cooking crack at her house,he said he had trouble keeping up driving 90mph(i was riding the governor at 120 the whole way)he wrote me a ticket for 89 in a 65 zone to keep me out of trouble,25 over would be a felony.we all knew i was over 100mpg and running.got a $100 ticket and stopped driving like that..trust me that was as good as getting a warning

Old 07-09-2011, 03:11 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CSI
Well.....not responding to the Cop with "WTF do you want" would constitute "the right way to act".

Most times, the more attitude ya give, the more the cop writes.
Knock on wood, I haven't had a ticket in ten years. I do not respond with WTF do you want. I try to avois attention from the law.It just seems if you are LEO or former LEO you will 99% of the time get out of the ticket unless the State boys get you. The rest of us are basically an ATM there to be feasted upon for the smallest infractions due to a shrinking tax base, and the need to feed the beast.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 AM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was on the Fatboy coming out of the Framingham HD dealership (it was the day I put the down payment on the Road Glide), got in the left lane waiting behind 6 or 7 cars to make a left hand turn across the parallel railroad tracks. Well, this light takes forever – I’ve learned to hate it in the past, plus now a train is coming which will only add to my woe ... So I pull out and make a dash up the line in the oncoming lane ( no cars are coming, I’m not crazy, they're stopped by the same light) and make the left to wait at the crossing gate. Well, wouldn’t you know one of the cars I illegally passed was a Framingham cop – never saw him. Pulls me over and reams my *** (verbally), “you know how many laws you just broke” [his face is raging, spittle flying] “ I could get you written up as a public threat and have that bike towed”. I take my medicine. I deserved the ticket and then some, and stick it into my wallet, afraid to see what I’ve been written up for.

So for the next two days, I’m beating myself up for how friggin stupid I was, playing this whole scene repeatedly over and over in my head. No sleep, waking up both mornings at 3 and then 4 am. You know, good boy conscience ...

So finally I face my demon and pull the citation out of my wallet dreading how bad I’ve gotten myself in trouble. Fines? Points on insurance? Increased insurance costs for three years? Moving Violation? How bad was it going to be? Just a warning! Like a load had been lifted, but a lesson learned. Signed, Your favorite idiot.

Oh yeah, and then there was the time in the late '60's when I was coming back towards Philly up the Black Horse Pike from the Jersey Shore when I got stopped by a Jersey State Trooper for a dangling license plate (one of the bolts to the back fender had come out). Thing was, I had an ounce of pot in my helmet. No way I was taking off that helmet, no way, no how. Not even a warning, just let me go on my way ... lucky stars

Last edited by doctorharrison; 07-09-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:40 PM
carrdoc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a rotating taillight,pulled me over,asked if I was a cop.said no,informed me only Leo can have lights that move,spent next ten min. Talking bikes

Old 07-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Three times that I can recall, One was a State trooper in NC and he just wanted to get a close look at my Ninja900 because he had not seen one yet. Another was in Mississippi when I was driving a shadow home with no tag that I had bought in Louisiana and the last was in New Port Ritchie Fla on the day after my birthday and my tag and License had both expired the day before.

On a side note, the most chicken **** ticket I ever got was in Ohio where a trooper pulled me over and give me a ticket for going 57 in a 55 at three o'clock in the morning when it was only him and I on the road. Guess he was bored. I was in an 18 wheeler that time so I know it was just a revenue ploy.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 211Chuck
.... Back in the early
80's I was going 135MPH down I 5 in CA. in the middle of
the night whena CA. Highway Patrol officer pulled up
beside me, he turned his interior light on and shook his
finger at me. I slowed down and he drove away, he never
even pulled me over for it.
BS.

If you were doing 135, the cop would've been going a whole lot faster just to catch up, or else it woulda been a LONG time before he caught up
I could do some math here to prove this, but why...Just trust me...the cop would've been doing at least 150 to catch up...and he was in a car?
It's too late to backpedal and say he was in a Camaro, mustang, Corvette....

Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First time blew by a State Trooper tucked around a curve over the Bonnet Carre Spillway in LA. 94 in a 55. I deserved that one. Second time get pulled over at a random checkpoint on the way to work in the rain. Cop asks if I have a brake tag (I did) but I was wearing a 1 piece rain suit. I struggled for about 5 minutes trying to get the damn wallet out of my back pocket when he started laughing and said "If ya ain't got a tag, go get one" and let me go on my way.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:14 AM
BIGSTEVEX3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots times lots times got a ticket.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 626 Posts

Late seventies,going to work on my rice burner a cop pulls me over, ask for my license & a big smile comes across his face "well Mr.**** looks like you'll be going to jail this morning" " I have a warrant for your arrest for not paying a ticket".I said "no I'm not as I pullled out the receipt for the ticket in question.The disappointment was all over his face.

Quick Reply: Ever been pulled over and not been given a ticket?