General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I attach this to my battery...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 10:32 PM
Silidons
Cruiser
Received 135 Likes on 54 Posts
Default How do I attach this to my battery...

Bought a vector fairing, and I’m thinking they left some stuff out. I’ve never ever messed with wiring, so forgive me for the stupid post. I obviously know how to attach the blue wire, but the red doesn’t have an attachment and I don’t know what the hell this inline fuse is. This is all they gave me, nothing else for wiring.

Thanks and and I appreciate the help in advance...

i attached the only instruction they gave me...

Old 11-01-2019, 11:48 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,776 Likes on 6,696 Posts

It says the red wire goes to the positive of your ignition switch and the other wire is to the negative.

I am not sure what you are asking.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:38 AM
Silidons
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Prot
It says the red wire goes to the positive of your ignition switch and the other wire is to the negative.

I am not sure what you are asking.
The negative has a hook so I can attach it fine to the battery.

The positive doesn’t have anything, so do I need to cut it and attach one of the end pieces like the negative one has? Also, where it says IMPORTANT: and talks about having the fuse in between the main wiring harness and the positive terminal, does that mean I have to splice the part before the fuse as well and attach it elsewhere, and then route it to the positive terminal?

this is all it came with. And like I said, I don’t know jack about wiring.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:43 AM
crtfibl
Grand HDF Member
Received 8,703 Likes on 2,906 Posts

Red wire to battery positive terminal. They should have sent it with a connector but you can easily pick one up at a good hardware or electric store. (Something like pic below.) Obviously needs to be big enough to fit your positive battery terminal. You just strip a bit of the plastic wire covering off (maybe half inch or so), stick it in the connector and crimp it with a pair of pliers.

Blue (negative) you can attach somewhere to the bike's frame, but make sure it is bare metal.

Inline fuse is to protect everything if there is a short in the wiring or audio system, if there is a short, inline fuse will blow and cut off power.

It would be better to find out where you can attach the red wire to power which is switched (i.e. only powers when the MC is turned on, but that is probably beyond your current skills. Currently, you would have to always remember to turn power to the audio off with the switch on the fairing, or else it will remain on while parked and drain your battery.

BTW, posted the above before seeing your last post. Re the inline fuse, you just want it where it is and you attached the red wire (top of your pic) to the battery. Also when I say that, I assume the hidden end of the red wire goes through the long cable to the audio; if not, then that inline fuse needs to be in the red wire (positive wire) going to the battery, anywhere between the battery and the audio.

Last edited by crtfibl; 11-02-2019 at 12:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Silidons (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 12:59 AM
Silidons
Cruiser

Originally Posted by crtfibl
Red wire to battery positive terminal. They should have sent it with a connector but you can easily pick one up at a good hardware or electric store. (Something like pic below.) Obviously needs to be big enough to fit your positive battery terminal. You just strip a bit of the plastic wire covering off (maybe half inch or so), stick it in the connector and crimp it with a pair of pliers.

Blue (negative) you can attach somewhere to the bike's frame, but make sure it is bare metal.

Inline fuse is to protect everything if there is a short in the wiring or audio system, if there is a short, inline fuse will blow and cut off power.

It would be better to find out where you can attach the red wire to power which is switched (i.e. only powers when the MC is turned on, but that is probably beyond your current skills. Currently, you would have to always remember to turn power to the audio off with the switch on the fairing, or else it will remain on while parked and drain your battery.

BTW, posted the above before seeing your last post. Re the inline fuse, you just want it where it is and you attached the red wire (top of your pic) to the battery. Also when I say that, I assume the hidden end of the red wire goes through the long cable to the audio; if not, then that inline fuse needs to be in the red wire (positive wire) going to the battery, anywhere between the battery and the audio.
Thank you so much. Yeah would have been nice if they had sent it with that, guess I’m going to oriellys tomorrow!

Yeah my pic makes it look weird, here is another that shows it’s just the red that the inline fuse is connected to.

Thanks again, I’ll report back tomorrow !

also, the negative has to go to metal, it can’t just go to the negative terminal on the battery? I know what you said, but asking for future ref. Thanks

Last edited by Silidons; 11-02-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:57 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Silidons
Thanks again, I’ll report back tomorrow !

also, the negative has to go to metal, it can’t just go to the negative terminal on the battery? I know what you said, but asking for future ref. Thanks
Depending on year/ model of bike there should be a ground frame terminal (probably 2, clean and dirty) just forward of the battery. The service manual will tell you which one is clean. However, in bike audio applications it is very common to go directly to the battery. It will often reduce low volume hum or buzzing in the system. Make sure you pull the fuse from the holder during installation and it's a good idea to pick up a spare while you're at the auto parts store.

The following users liked this post:
Silidons (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 09:56 AM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,158 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Looks like they Just want you to garbage one of these on.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:44 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Received 4,799 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Blue to a ground. The red should go to switched power, a rocker switch or something the can turn of the audio when not in use, other the power will stay on when direct wired to positive battery post and quite possible drain your battery. Usually when an AGM battery is run down it's time for a new one.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:40 PM
Silidons
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Blue to a ground. The red should go to switched power, a rocker switch or something the can turn of the audio when not in use, other the power will stay on when direct wired to positive battery post and quite possible drain your battery. Usually when an AGM battery is run down it's time for a new one.
The unit itself has an on-off switch. This is how I have it now, still no power.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Silidons
Cruiser

This also doesn’t work

Last edited by Silidons; 11-02-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: How do I attach this to my battery...