General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't folks wave to Harley's ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019 | 10:23 AM
soldierbot
Supporter
Supporter

Motorcyclist crashes while giving driver 'the finger' on Texas parkway

"A motorcyclist is in critical condition after crashing on a parkway in Cypress, Texas.

Deputies said he crashed after he gave the finger to a woman he was passing.

A woman told authorities she was driving north when the motorcyclist passed her suburban on the right and gave her the finger. He then turned around and did it a second time, but lost control and crashed.

"After he gave her the finger a second time, he lost control, hit the curb and struck his head," said Harris County Sheriff's Sgt. Dashana Cheek-McNeal. "He was unconscious at the scene."

The motorcyclist was taken by Life Flight the hospital. l.Deputies said the other driver did not strike him."

https://abc11.com/motorcyclist-crash...SHaNqN63vulNPU

Please be careful with your hand gestures.

The following users liked this post:
CaffeineBuzz (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019 | 10:29 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by soldierbot

Motorcyclist crashes while giving driver 'the finger' on Texas parkway

"A motorcyclist is in critical condition after crashing on a parkway in Cypress, Texas.

Deputies said he crashed after he gave the finger to a woman he was passing.

A woman told authorities she was driving north when the motorcyclist passed her suburban on the right and gave her the finger. He then turned around and did it a second time, but lost control and crashed.

"After he gave her the finger a second time, he lost control, hit the curb and struck his head," said Harris County Sheriff's Sgt. Dashana Cheek-McNeal. "He was unconscious at the scene."

The motorcyclist was taken by Life Flight the hospital. l.Deputies said the other driver did not strike him."

https://abc11.com/motorcyclist-crash...SHaNqN63vulNPU

Please be careful with your hand gestures.
I don't do the finger.

I prefer the big "Thumbs Down!!!".

It can be done in any direction and it doesn't mean "Go **** Yourself"....it means "You suck at life and have failed."

soldierbot (10-25-2019)
Old 10-23-2019 | 10:35 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by soldierbot
Originally Posted by RHPAW
You mean the backwards engine?
Obviously a copy, reverse-engineered.

robarosa (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019 | 12:21 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldMike
My buddy I ride with waives so I don't have to. When alone I give a nod to the waive.
I think this crap was started by Honda riders in 1972, I don't remember all this waiving going on back then.
We did it in the 1960's and it was common back in the 1940's. Here is some theories on how it started https://brainbucket.rumbleon.com/biker-wave-origin

Old 10-23-2019 | 01:23 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I took a 16 year break from riding, to do some uhhh, other stuff. 16 years ago a squid on a rocket waved to me on my FLSTF and I flipped him off. When I think of that memory, first I laugh and then I feel kind of bad...oh well.

I will say that even the 'Harley' crowd wave less than they did 16 years ago, I actually mentioned it to the wife the other day. I wonder what caused the change?

I was at a gas station the other day and when I rolled up there was a guy on a custom, not the kind of guy that built it, the kind of guy with lots of money who bought it. He was decked out in his wallet chain and rings and bandana. Everything new, clean and shiny. I cut the engine on my FXDB and thought I should say something, I mean like someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, we're supposed to be brothers, right? His bike was ****ing ugly! Garish paint and all that ****, metallic green and purples, real ***** looking POS bike in my opinion but I thought, WTF so I said, "hey man, nice bike" not really expecting him to complement my mostly stock Dyna, but the ********** looked at me and flat out ignored what I said, sort of game me a shitty look then turned away. Man, where I came up that would get you stabbed! But you know, I'm old and I don't live in a place like that anymore...so I came home, poured some expensive Bourbon and complained to the wife.

Old 10-23-2019 | 01:40 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ve9aa
and I 100% get that. It's your choice and if you continue to look straight ahead or wherever you were looking and don't wave, I don't pay it any mind whatsoever.
It's the guys who crank their head right around and stare and don't wave that make me go hmmmmm (ie: I wonder why they do that?)
They're just checking out your ride, not you. Don't take it personal.

Old 10-23-2019 | 02:29 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I dunno, rmember what happened to Billy in easy rider for 'shooting the bird" at someone...?

pikaia (11-10-2019)
Old 10-23-2019 | 02:36 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by ve9aa
I don't know what it's like in the US of A, or Eu or Asia or down under, but around here in Eastern Canada I'd say 85-90% of folks out on 2 or 3 wheels wave to each other.
It's the 15% that don't that make me scratch my head and go hmmm.

Today I was out on a ride having a great time....maybe one of the last rides of the year and in the opposite lane coming towards me I see an older guy on a "Harley Clone" (Metric bike of some kind with a Road King windshield like thing) and like a friendly soul, I wave. He turns his head & stares right at me the whole 5 or 8 (or whatever) seconds he's going by....no wave.

It seems to be these guys on Harley clones and also Gold Wings who are the worst 'offenders' (and occasionally big BMW r1200-whatever) are the ones that don't wave.

So, I am not butt hurt, I'll sleep tonight, I'll continue to wave, but I am the type that always have to know why.

I am not talking in a sharp corner, taken by surprise, doesn't see me , shifting gears or anything else. Looking right at me. Straight line...constant speed.

Why does someone turn their head and look RIGHT AT YOU and choose not to wave? Are they believing they are better than you? Are they old grouchy pi$$ed off codgers who wouldn't wave to their own mother if you paid them? Are they confused by your friendliness? Are they senile and still think they are in their car and thus confused by your wave?

Maybe I should've been a psychologist. Certain things I see people do (or don't do) sure intrigue me.

Thoughts?
Wave? Ha! When I was younger girls would lift their shirts when I would ride by on my Harley.

These days not so much

Last edited by JustDave13; 10-23-2019 at 02:39 PM.
tar_snake (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019 | 02:55 PM
Stinger1
Road Master

I wave at no-one.

I'm NOT your Bro.
I'm NOT your Cuz.
I'm NOT your BUD.

I do however give the Italian "Chin Hand"
Hand open face down under the chin and forward movement in the air.

It's considered rude, because its meaning is simple and too direct:

"I don't care."

But, to be more precise, its correct translation should be:

"I completely don't give a ****."

Again, sorry for the ****, but "I don't care" is not the most precise translation of this gesture.

Really.

tar_snake (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019 | 03:09 PM
warprints
Road Warrior

Seems that no matter which bike I'm on, I get a wave -- and wave back. Even when I'm on the V-Strom (dork bike to a lot of folks) I get waves from Harley riders, including most of the folks in the 1% club in my area. Maybe it's a Louisiana thing.

Quick Reply: Why don't folks wave to Harley's ?