General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't folks wave to Harley's ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019 | 07:59 PM
Serge A. Storms
Road Captain

Cant we just be done with that altogether?

Old 10-21-2019 | 08:11 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member

I’m on a CVO. I’m too damn pleased with myself to notice other bikers on the road.

The following 5 users liked this post by CaffeineBuzz:
Hdbkstl (10-22-2019), J_MOSH (10-22-2019), Ripcode (10-22-2019), soldierbot (10-21-2019), SWFLGuy (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019 | 08:21 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
I’m on a CVO. I’m too damn pleased with myself to notice other bikers on the road.

You're too damn pissed off at yourself for paying too much for your bike to wave at the other folks out there riding on less expensive motorcycles....

Old 10-21-2019 | 08:26 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

Perhaps your not using the correct wave. Everything you need to know about the motorcycle wave but were afraid to ask. lol

https://axleaddict.com/motorcycles/M...oWaveLikeADork

"
If you drive a motorcycle, you know about “the wave.” The wave is your rolling connection to your biker brother and sisterhood, but is there a special secret to this wave? When you started riding did you seek out a wave master and perhaps copy theirs, or did you develop one of your own? Have you ever wondered if your wave is appropriate? Unfortunately, wave training is not covered in the basic or advanced motorcycle safety classes.

Well, here I present the five basic motorcycle waves. Your worries about not knowing proper biker etiquette are over."

Motorcycle Etiquette: How Not to Wave Like a Dork

Updated on January 25, 2019

The Time Rider more

How to Wave While Riding a Motorcycle

Left-handed low and and left-handed high biker waves.

If you drive a motorcycle, you know about “the wave.” The wave is your rolling connection to your biker brother and sisterhood, but is there a special secret to this wave? When you started riding did you seek out a wave master and perhaps copy theirs, or did you develop one of your own? Have you ever wondered if your wave is appropriate? Unfortunately, wave training is not covered in the basic or advanced motorcycle safety classes.

Well, here I present the five basic motorcycle waves. Your worries about not knowing proper biker etiquette are over.

Five Motorcycle Waves

Left-Handed Low Aimed down towards street with the extension of one, two, three, or five fingers.

Left-handed Straight Out Arm fully or partially extended higher or lower than shoulder.

Left-Handed High Elbow should be bent with slight forward angling of the forearm.

Right-Handed Typically employed by Ultra Classic and Goldwing riders.

Left-Handed Forward Almost imperceptible due to the speed of the wave and the bike.

To wave or not to wave, that is the question. We’ve all faced that moment when we felt obligated to wave but then become unsure. The worrying starts and then there’s that overwhelming feeling of guilt. Well, worry no more. Here are some general waving rules to help guide you:
  • On the interstate; unnecessary
  • On a curve; unnecessary
  • In the rain or at night; unnecessary
  • On a mellow two-lane; proper
  • On a highway with little traffic; proper
  • At a rally, unnecessary
  • In traffic, unnecessary.
There are, however, times when not waving is just down-right rude. So if you’re not a jackass, you should, if at all possible, reciprocate when another biker waves to you.

If it’s the proper place and time and you receive no reciprocal wave, don’t get your panties in a bunch and think you’ve just passed a jackass, because there are some acceptable reasons. These reasons are as follows:
  • You weren’t seen
  • Clutch manipulation
  • A head nod was substituted
Of course there is a whole different post on the head nod. Now if I could just figure out what that guy tapping the top of his helmet was doing.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 10-21-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2019 | 08:26 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Arrow

I give everyone (including scooters) the 'shaka'. Except at bike rallies; my arm gets tired...

Old 10-21-2019 | 08:38 PM
crtfibl
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tommy C
I never wave at baggers. They are a bunch of grumpy old people.
At my age, you may be getting close to the truth. But screw you anyway. (LOL)

The following 2 users liked this post by crtfibl:
SBRob (10-23-2019), Uncle Larry (10-22-2019)
Old 10-21-2019 | 08:44 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by crtfibl
At my age, you may be getting close to the truth. But screw you anyway. (LOL)
I'm 60, but young enough to laugh. But I don't ride a Road Glide, either. It's one thing to be old but it's another thing to act old.

The following users liked this post:
pikaia (11-10-2019)
Old 10-21-2019 | 08:50 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't consider what I do a 'wave'. I stick my left arm out just as an acknowledgement to another rider. Probably 90% do the same back.

Old 10-21-2019 | 08:57 PM
tajar66
Tourer

There are times when I don’t wave, in traffic or moving through a corner. I usually give a head nod at least.

Old 10-21-2019 | 09:08 PM
Haarley
Road Master

Originally Posted by kupitz
I honestly don't get the wave thing. Jeep owners wave to each other,
Those are me-too copycat losers.

Corvette drivers do it,
Ditto.

bikes do it.
We started it. It's ours. It's pathetic and sad when cars do it.

Quick Reply: Why don't folks wave to Harley's ?