General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't folks wave to Harley's ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020 | 03:02 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member

IMO, I don't really think anyone is whining here. Just a pass the time, novelty, opinion thread.
BTW, I wonder if there are alot of snubbed off sporty riders? Seems Thad be another reason some would ignore since they are so righteous. Lol....

Last edited by Superdog3:16; 07-16-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2020 | 09:30 PM
ThreatLevel Midnight
Road Master
Default That was me!

Originally Posted by ve9aa
I don't know what it's like in the US of A, or Eu or Asia or down under, but around here in Eastern Canada I'd say 85-90% of folks out on 2 or 3 wheels wave to each other.
It's the 15% that don't that make me scratch my head and go hmmm.

Today I was out on a ride having a great time....maybe one of the last rides of the year and in the opposite lane coming towards me I see an older guy on a "Harley Clone" (Metric bike of some kind with a Road King windshield like thing) and like a friendly soul, I wave. He turns his head & stares right at me the whole 5 or 8 (or whatever) seconds he's going by....no wave.

It seems to be these guys on Harley clones and also Gold Wings who are the worst 'offenders' (and occasionally big BMW r1200-whatever) are the ones that don't wave.

So, I am not butt hurt, I'll sleep tonight, I'll continue to wave, but I am the type that always have to know why.

I am not talking in a sharp corner, taken by surprise, doesn't see me , shifting gears or anything else. Looking right at me. Straight line...constant speed.

Why does someone turn their head and look RIGHT AT YOU and choose not to wave? Are they believing they are better than you? Are they old grouchy pi$$ed off codgers who wouldn't wave to their own mother if you paid them? Are they confused by your friendliness? Are they senile and still think they are in their car and thus confused by your wave?

Maybe I should've been a psychologist. Certain things I see people do (or don't do) sure intrigue me.

Thoughts?
I did it just to mess with you. Maybe cause you to obsess over it.

Mission accomplished.

Old 07-17-2020 | 10:10 AM
Oakers3
Stellar HDF Member

I have three bikes and usually go home the same way. Guy on a Harley, I was on my Harley and he waves. Next two days same guy and i rode different bikes and I could see him shake his head no. So the next time I rode my Harley he got a single digit salute. I think it was then that he realized it was the same guy on three different bikes.

Old 07-17-2020 | 11:29 AM
gpeade
Tourer

I wave at any bike when I safely can. I do that because most I meet will wave back. Heck I have even waved at scooters. I grew up in the country where you just waved at everyone. You know back in the days when folks were nice to one another and didn't think they were better than everyone else. But that went away years ago. I hardly ever wave in my cage anymore cause I know no one is going to wave back. If you don't want to wave back on your bike I'm cool with that. What really pisses me off is when I pass someone is close quarters (coming in/out a store doorway or something similar) and I give a "how ya doing" or something and you don't speak or sometimes even acknowledge I'm there. Makes me wanna slap ya cross the back of the head. Personally I think it's rude. If someone speaks to you, you speak back. That's how I was raised and will go to my grave the same way.

The following 2 users liked this post by gpeade:
Superdog3:16 (07-17-2020), ThreatLevel Midnight (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020 | 11:48 AM
Harleylife1
Outstanding HDF Member

I had no idea people got butthurt about that. How sad must their lives be.

The following users liked this post:
BikerPepe` (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020 | 02:42 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member

I think it's a bad habit. I used to wave when I was young. It happened so often, I stopped thinking about it and it just became a reaction. One day somebody waved at me as I was coming into a turn and I removed my hand from the bars before I even realized it. It wasn't a big deal or anything... I've ridden many miles with one hand, swapping hands, no hands here and there on a lone, straight road. Point being... I quickly realized that this habit of being friendly to people I don't know could possibly put me in danger. So why should I bother maintaining a potentially dangerous habitual behavior to make somebody I don't know or care directly about feel good about themselves? I shouldn't. If a simple nod isn't good enough, tough ****.

The only way another rider on the road could possibly hurt my feelings is if I'm broke down on the side of the road and nobody stops to help... which I do whenever possible.