General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't folks wave to Harley's ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020 | 07:09 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ve9aa
I don't know what it's like in the US of A, or Eu or Asia or down under, but around here in Eastern Canada I'd say 85-90% of folks out on 2 or 3 wheels wave to each other.
It's the 15% that don't that make me scratch my head and go hmmm.

Today I was out on a ride having a great time....maybe one of the last rides of the year and in the opposite lane coming towards me I see an older guy on a "Harley Clone" (Metric bike of some kind with a Road King windshield like thing) and like a friendly soul, I wave. He turns his head & stares right at me the whole 5 or 8 (or whatever) seconds he's going by....no wave.

It seems to be these guys on Harley clones and also Gold Wings who are the worst 'offenders' (and occasionally big BMW r1200-whatever) are the ones that don't wave.

So, I am not butt hurt, I'll sleep tonight, I'll continue to wave, but I am the type that always have to know why.

I am not talking in a sharp corner, taken by surprise, doesn't see me , shifting gears or anything else. Looking right at me. Straight line...constant speed.

Why does someone turn their head and look RIGHT AT YOU and choose not to wave? Are they believing they are better than you? Are they old grouchy pi$$ed off codgers who wouldn't wave to their own mother if you paid them? Are they confused by your friendliness? Are they senile and still think they are in their car and thus confused by your wave?

Maybe I should've been a psychologist. Certain things I see people do (or don't do) sure intrigue me.

Thoughts?
Its because they actually believe there ARE two types of bikers. Those who ride Harley's, and those who wish they did. Lol. They're mad because THEY think WE think we are better . That's my take here in USA.

Old 07-14-2020 | 08:56 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

I started reading this thread from the begining, got too long, skipped to the end. Somebody said somfin about CVOs. I just happened to take a putt to a local dealer today to browse. They had a flat white CVO roadglide117. Really sharp. The tag on the bars said $41k. Pretty steep. I could buy it, but I wouldn't. I can't see the value. But that's me.

Old 07-14-2020 | 09:03 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by ve9aa
I don't know what it's like in the US of A, or Eu or Asia or down under, but around here in Eastern Canada I'd say 85-90% of folks out on 2 or 3 wheels wave to each other.
It's the 15% that don't that make me scratch my head and go hmmm.

Today I was out on a ride having a great time....maybe one of the last rides of the year and in the opposite lane coming towards me I see an older guy on a "Harley Clone" (Metric bike of some kind with a Road King windshield like thing) and like a friendly soul, I wave. He turns his head & stares right at me the whole 5 or 8 (or whatever) seconds he's going by....no wave.

It seems to be these guys on Harley clones and also Gold Wings who are the worst 'offenders' (and occasionally big BMW r1200-whatever) are the ones that don't wave.

So, I am not butt hurt, I'll sleep tonight, I'll continue to wave, but I am the type that always have to know why.

I am not talking in a sharp corner, taken by surprise, doesn't see me , shifting gears or anything else. Looking right at me. Straight line...constant speed.

Why does someone turn their head and look RIGHT AT YOU and choose not to wave? Are they believing they are better than you? Are they old grouchy pi$$ed off codgers who wouldn't wave to their own mother if you paid them? Are they confused by your friendliness? Are they senile and still think they are in their car and thus confused by your wave?

Maybe I should've been a psychologist. Certain things I see people do (or don't do) sure intrigue me.

Thoughts?
Wave? I remember when girls would lift their shirts.

The following 2 users liked this post by JustDave13:
1999 flstf (07-15-2020), oldbie (07-14-2020)
Old 07-15-2020 | 06:59 PM
jackthebiker
Cruiser

I will usually wave back if someone waves, but never wave first. Mostly nod my head. I personally think waving is stupid. I go along with the shirt lifting and boob showing.

Old 07-15-2020 | 07:12 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

X2 ^^^ on showin' de puppies. To be honest, if it looks like a HD coming, I'll initiate the wave, or point, or whatever, but trying to quit. If a metric waves first, I'll reciprocate. I was raised with manners. Lol.

Old 07-15-2020 | 07:50 PM
Oakers3
Stellar HDF Member

I think I may have said this before but I always had vehicles that people waved back and forth to each other. Old British sports cars, AH's, MG's, Mini Coopers and I'm sure more British brands but I never saw them. The Jeeps CJ's and ****** and through AMC. Most kids don't do it now, older Corvette's too. Motorcycles. Anything I missed?

Old 07-15-2020 | 08:52 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member

I have a Jeep and two bikes. There’s no escaping it.

Old 07-16-2020 | 12:40 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

I've been waiting for the "It's Racist not to wave"...!!!

Old 07-16-2020 | 01:32 PM
RHPAW
Banned

As suggested, I tried showing my *****. The guy ran into the ditch.
What am I supposed to do now? This is getting complicated.

The following users liked this post:
Cap77 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020 | 02:59 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

I just wave at the girls.......

Quick Reply: Why don't folks wave to Harley's ?