General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't folks wave to Harley's ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020 | 08:13 PM
DRZRider
Intermediate

Back in the late 1990s and early 2000s I had a Triumph sport touring bike. On the Parkway in the mountains of the south eastern US I would wave at everyone on a bike. I never had a Harley rider wave back. I even got some looks of "How dare you wave at me." Now that I ride a Harley I make a point to wave whenever I can to show that not all Harley riders are not stuck up like they used to be. I even accidentally waved at a scooter once!

Old 07-13-2020 | 08:43 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Well this thread does not go away so I will throw my two cents worth of wave experience in.

I wave at almost everyone as long as I am NOT on an interstate. I don’t wave on multi lane highways because I don’t want a cager thinking I’m changing lanes. That said if it has handlebars regardless of how many wheels I wave. I do NOT wave at Slingshots. They look stupid and the people driving them are not bikers.

I find that 95% of the people I wave at wave back. Many wave first and are on all brands and types.

As for me I am friendly, enjoying myself and happy to wave at people whether they wave or not.

Ride safe and wave!

Old 07-13-2020 | 09:06 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldbie
Why do the do-rag guys not wave at us helmet wearers?

I wear a helmet 70% of the time, I haven't noticed any difference .

most wave here regardless of the bike or lid

...L.T.A.

Old 07-14-2020 | 05:40 AM
Death Valley Ultra
Tourer

[QUOTE=Cosmic Razorback;19260462]Well this thread does not go away so I will throw my two cents worth of wave experience in.

I wave at almost everyone as long as I am NOT on an interstate. I don’t wave on multi lane highways because I don’t want a cager thinking I’m changing lanes. That said if it has handlebars regardless of how many wheels I wave. I do NOT wave at Slingshots. They look stupid and the people driving them are not bikers.

3 finger wave at trikes and Slingshots.

Old 07-14-2020 | 01:53 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Try riding in a pack of 6 or more, in formation (coffin length) and then have another pack coming the opposite way all waving... Nobody will get a wave back, it's scary enough being 6 foot off the fender of a brother and so close to rider next to you that you're inches from touching bars. Nobody is going to take their eyes off the leader or break formation to wave. Riding alone, I'll wave all day at everyone, no problem unless of course I'm in a deep corner scrubbing floor boards.
One time in the mountain twisties diving into a corner a guy on a sportbike coming the opposite way pulled his hand off the bars to wave at me, he went straight into the guardrail. I helped him until ambulance arrived.. he told me he'd never do that again!

Old 07-14-2020 | 05:37 PM
Herrick
Road Captain

Depending on which dark corners of the Internet you go to, you'll find people asking why Harley riders don't wave, or you'll find Harley riders asking why non-Harley riders don't wave.

Old 07-14-2020 | 05:49 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Most Harley riders seem to wave at me.........unless I am riding my Buell Ulysses.

Old 07-14-2020 | 06:54 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

Didnt read this whole thread so maybe repeating.

New Harley riders are ********. Attitude towards the guys riding bikes they rode last year. Older guys who have been on the road for 50 years (like me) will wave when they feel like it. Young Harley guys wave like they think they are about to get laid. Desperate.

If you wave, fine. If not, fine. If you get rejected, there's thousands more just down the road.

Last edited by Scout; 07-14-2020 at 06:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
perki48 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020 | 06:57 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Scout
Didnt read this whole thread so maybe repeating.

New Harley riders are ********. Attitude towards the guys riding bikes they rode last year. Older guys who have been on the road for 50 years (like me) will wave when they feel like it. Young Harley guys wave like they think they are about to get laid. Desperate.

If you wave, fine. If not, fine. If you get rejected, there's thousands more just down the road.
WTF did I just read here?

Old 07-14-2020 | 07:04 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
WTF did I just read here?
the truth. Lol.

Quick Reply: Why don't folks wave to Harley's ?