General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storage shed options

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 07:53 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Storage shed options

Hi guys, I’ve been gone for a while. Lots of personal life changes have prevented me from riding for the past 3 years. I’ve still kept my baby and I refuse to get rid of it.

I had to move in a sudden fashion this past month. My new place has a garage but I can not use it to store my bike. The landlord has given me the option to build an attached shed to the garage so I can store my bike. He sent me this picture as a suggestion.

I’ve been doing tons of searching online but I’m having a hard time finding something that resembles this. Everything I’m finding is sold in the European market. Strange how all I find here in the US is back yard sheds sold at Home Depot. Those are not an option for us because there is not enough room in the back yard. The shed has to be attached to the garage like in the picture.

I’m reaching out to you guys here in desperation to find some options. I have to find something within the next month or the bike is going to have to sit in my new driveway under a cover. I don’t want to do that.

Thank you fellers in advance for any help you can give me.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:23 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Look up Suncast Sheds (sold by Lowes and others). They are a resin material. I just installed an 8'X13' one for my two bikes. Easy to erect on a prepared level surface (concrete or wood) and can be easily disasembled and moved to relocate if and when necessary.

The floor of the shed is also a resin material and kind of soft so I had to overlay with some 3/8" thick OSB plywood, or the weight of the bikes dimple the floor making it almost impossible to move, but easy to move on the plywood.

I have had a smaller version for my garden equipmnent for over 4 years and still like new.

Floor before plywood overlay.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:33 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 290 Likes on 177 Posts

Yup I too used to use a rubber maid shed. Durable. Dry. Lockable.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:40 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,090 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Do you have any construction skills? You could easily build that for a couple hundred bucks.

The following 7 users liked this post by Screamin beagle:
01dyna (10-01-2019), Cap77 (09-30-2019), deadhawg (10-01-2019), Death Valley Ultra (10-01-2019), Mxdad (10-01-2019), nevada72 (10-16-2019), tar_snake (10-15-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2019, 09:21 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,322 Likes on 2,674 Posts

I'm thinking like Screamin Beagle
(but I'm a contractor)

You could stick build it proper with matching roof and siding ...with lights and electric for around $600-$700
an be much more secure than a plastic box
(no offense intended to those with the plastic storage sheds)
They have their place ....for the mower and garden tools

..L.T.A.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (10-15-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 09:40 PM
M8USA
Road Master
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts

Try this company.

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/ar...r4x7ftshed.cfm

Put out some flyers in the neighborhood, maybe you can rent some space.
on occasion I rent a 5 x10 self storage unit for my bike.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:13 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,325 Likes on 1,451 Posts

How about a 5'x8' cargo trailer w/ramp and stabilizer jacks? It would be easy to sell or move when you're done with it.

The following 3 users liked this post by RK4ME:
Beaux (10-16-2019), Harfar (10-02-2019), mastergunnera8 (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 04:16 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Look up Suncast Sheds (sold by Lowes and others). They are a resin material. I just installed an 8'X13' one for my two bikes. Easy to erect on a prepared level surface (concrete or wood) and can be easily disasembled and moved to relocate if and when necessary.

The floor of the shed is also a resin material and kind of soft so I had to overlay with some 3/8" thick OSB plywood, or the weight of the bikes dimple the floor making it almost impossible to move, but easy to move on the plywood.

I have had a smaller version for my garden equipmnent for over 4 years and still like new.

Floor before plywood overlay.
I’ll look into this brand. The only problem with these stand alone sheds is that in my scenario, it might not work. The way our yard is set up I don’t think a stand alone shed will work/fit. You have to remember I’m st the mercy of the landlord. So far his suggestion was to build a shed that attaches to the exciting garage.

Still good to know this brand is a possibility.

You haven’t had any issues with condensation ? I’m assuming there are vents built into this thing.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:22 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Do you have any construction skills? You could easily build that for a couple hundred bucks.
my landlord is a carpenter so this option has crossed my mind. I would just pay him and help him build it. Only issue is that he’s currently remodeling his kitchen himself and it might be a good 4 months before he’s got enough free time to tackle this project. I Want to have this issue solved before the brutal part of the NJ winter gets here.

Originally Posted by Cap77
I'm thinking like Screamin Beagle
(but I'm a contractor)

You could stick build it proper with matching roof and siding ...with lights and electric for around $600-$700
an be much more secure than a plastic box
(no offense intended to those with the plastic storage sheds)
They have their place ....for the mower and garden tools

..L.T.A.
Originally Posted by M8USA
Try this company.

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/ar...r4x7ftshed.cfm

Put out some flyers in the neighborhood, maybe you can rent some space.
on occasion I rent a 5 x10 self storage unit for my bike.
I looked into that very same shed but it got some pretty bad reviews. Flimsy and started to rust fairly quickly.

Originally Posted by RK4ME
How about a 5'x8' cargo trailer w/ramp and stabilizer jacks? It would be easy to sell or move when you're done with it.
Not enough room in our driveway for this option.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:15 AM
jessultra
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

family , friends in your area you could store until back on your feet ?

Quick Reply: Storage shed options