General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storage shed options

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 07:42 PM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Get a wooden shed built. Very important to have enough venting. The bike will be covered in condensation every morning, so venting is crucial.
Plastic is better than metal, but wood is the best.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 PM
M8USA
Road Master
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Alain
His suggestion came from a quick google search so I don’t know how set the landlord is about it having to have a shed that is up to the side of the garage.

I gotta make the time and talk to him about again and show him some of these options you guys are recommending. What sucks about that is that he is rebuilding the kitchen so his mind is totally on that (understandably so). That’s killing me cause until I get this figured out I feel like I won’t be able to relax in my new home. That’s part sucks!! I just have to learn to be a little patient with this process and it will work itself out.

I’m staying away from metal sheds, those will be a pain to take apart and take with me when I leave plus they will probably rust. Trying my best to not just take the easy way out which would be to buy a top notch outdoor cover and just keep the bike outside in the back of the driveway behind all the cars.

Any of you done that over the winter in snowy climates?
If you go for an outdoor cover, stay away from Carcovers.com
Thats after about 3 month of use.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:12 PM
M8USA
Road Master
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts

Or If you don't plan on using the bike in the winter and if your apt is on the first floor have your buddies take both wheels off & help you move it into your room. Reassemble and you have a conversation piece.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:23 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,165 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Originally Posted by M8USA
Is that the cheap cover from carcovers.com? Not all car covers from them are junk. I bought the most expensive cover from carcovers.com and my cover is in the Texas or South Carolina sun 24/7 - looks brand new. Not to mention, if it did delaminate like yours, it has a 10 year warranty.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 10-01-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:25 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

A metal roof will rain on yer bike when conditions are right, and that’ll happen a lot in a Jersey winter. Make sure you have a good vapor barrier in whatever you build. Insulation helps. And a little elec. space heater with its own thermostat will keep the condensation to a minimum. If you have to build/set it on bare ground, those 3/4” thick rubber horse mats that tractor supply sells work great to keep the dampness out.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yikes!!!!!

Or If you don't plan on using the bike in the winter and if your apt is on the first floor have your buddies take both wheels off & help you move it into your room. Reassemble and you have a conversation piece.
Landlord offered for me to put the bike in our basement, which is accessible from the driveway but the stairs are way too steep to bring that 700 pound beast up and down.

Originally Posted by King FLH
A metal roof will rain on yer bike when conditions are right, and that’ll happen a lot in a Jersey winter. Make sure you have a good vapor barrier in whatever you build. Insulation helps. And a little elec. space heater with its own thermostat will keep the condensation to a minimum. If you have to build/set it on bare ground, those 3/4” thick rubber horse mats that tractor supply sells work great to keep the dampness out.
I’m going to try and stay away from anything metal, it’s just asking for trouble. Thanks for the recommendation on the tractor supply rubber mats !! This shed is going right on the grass, hopefully whatever we build will have provisions for flooring/foundation. From what I’m seeing, most of them have that.

Last edited by Alain; 10-02-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Why are yout against metal? That was standard for years.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:57 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,472 Posts

Didn't read all the posts so maybe its already been mentioned, neither are real cheap but how about a self storage unit or a Harley dealer.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:51 PM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
Why are yout against metal? That was standard for years.
Because in the morning the sun will heat the metal shed way faster than the bike inside, causing condensation. A wooden shed heats up more slowly. Simple as that.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:16 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan06
Because in the morning the sun will heat the metal shed way faster than the bike inside, causing condensation. A wooden shed heats up more slowly. Simple as that.
I suppose. You could vent it. You could put plastic under the roof, that is what they did with one of my pole barns. Though not all are done that. I never really noticed. But the builder likes it.

Maybe differnt where you are it. Here winters are dry. Even if you get some drops, is it the end of the world?

My camp has a metal roof, without a liner. I would find what ever works. I think going to a Harley dealer is kind of funny.

Last edited by Zerk; 10-02-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Storage shed options