General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storage shed options

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 01:08 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Alain
Hi guys, I’ve been gone for a while. Lots of personal life changes have prevented me from riding for the past 3 years. I’ve still kept my baby and I refuse to get rid of it.

I had to move in a sudden fashion this past month. My new place has a garage but I can not use it to store my bike. The landlord has given me the option to build an attached shed to the garage so I can store my bike. He sent me this picture as a suggestion.

I’ve been doing tons of searching online but I’m having a hard time finding something that resembles this. Everything I’m finding is sold in the European market. Strange how all I find here in the US is back yard sheds sold at Home Depot. Those are not an option for us because there is not enough room in the back yard. The shed has to be attached to the garage like in the picture.

I’m reaching out to you guys here in desperation to find some options. I have to find something within the next month or the bike is going to have to sit in my new driveway under a cover. I don’t want to do that.

Thank you fellers in advance for any help you can give me.
So just a quick question, if your new place has a garage, why can't you just use that? Or are you sharing this place with your landlord?

As far as a lean-too/shed I would check with local places that sell standalone sheds or gazebos, they should be able to do something simple enough. or places that specialize in pole barn style buildings, they could also build you something easy enough.

The following users liked this post:
Halojumper (10-10-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 01:14 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dang fellers!! You all answered the call for help, thank you. I’ll look into these suggestions later on today.

I can’t get a trailer setup because I’d have no place to park that thing, shame because that would be a great option to take with me if and when I move again.

Im going to avoid the metal sheds, don’t want to deal with them rusting.
These composite units are what appeal to me.

Family is out of the question, I have no family in this state. I do have a friend lined up who’s going to let me store it at his garage for a few months. But, he lives 20 minutes away and I’m certain after a couple of months he’s going to want the bike out of there.

My “buddy” who I rode with frequently is MIA when I reached out to him for storage help (figures).

Anyone have experience or know someone who has used this ?

http://thebikeshield.com/?gclid=Cj0K...waAs00EALw_wcB

Old 10-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
So just a quick question, if your new place has a garage, why can't you just use that? Or are you sharing this place with your landlord?

As far as a lean-too/shed I would check with local places that sell standalone sheds or gazebos, they should be able to do something simple enough. or places that specialize in pole barn style buildings, they could also build you something easy enough.
Me using the garage was my first question when I looked at the place. He immediately said no, he’s going to put a workshop in the garage (he’s a carpenter).

I asked him again last week after I moved in and have started to build a relationship with him. He seemed a little more open to the idea of me using the garage. He told me he would think about it, later that day he made the suggestion we put a shed next to the garage for the bike. If you guys saw the garage you’d do back flips, it’s a two car garage, huge !!! Would be ideal to keep and work on the bike and cars. But he’s completely set on putting his workshop in there, can’t blame him.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:06 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Me using the garage was my first question when I looked at the place. He immediately said no, he’s going to put a workshop in the garage (he’s a carpenter).

I asked him again last week after I moved in and have started to build a relationship with him. He seemed a little more open to the idea of me using the garage. He told me he would think about it, later that day he made the suggestion we put a shed next to the garage for the bike. If you guys saw the garage you’d do back flips, it’s a two car garage, huge !!! Would be ideal to keep and work on the bike and cars. But he’s completely set on putting his workshop in there, can’t blame him.
Ah ok....

Old 10-01-2019, 05:59 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,343 Likes on 3,187 Posts

Dang fellers!! You all answered the call for help, thank you. I’ll look into these suggestions later on today.

I can’t get a trailer setup because I’d have no place to park that thing, shame because that would be a great option to take with me if and when I move again.

Im going to avoid the metal sheds, don’t want to deal with them rusting.
These composite units are what appeal to me.

Family is out of the question, I have no family in this state. I do have a friend lined up who’s going to let me store it at his garage for a few months. But, he lives 20 minutes away and I’m certain after a couple of months he’s going to want the bike out of there.

My “buddy” who I rode with frequently is MIA when I reached out to him for storage help (figures).

Anyone have experience or know someone who has used this ?

http://thebikeshield.com/?gclid=Cj0K...waAs00EALw_wcB
You being in Jersey and winter coming I don't recommend it.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
I lived in an apartment after my divorce. An outdoor cover from Cycle Gear was good enough for my '17 Fatboy.
Did you get any snow down there when ou had it outside under the cover? We get tons of snow up here.
No issues with rust with just the cover ?

Old 10-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Is the issue that it has to be 1/2 roof so to speak, to but against the wall of existing garage? Some towns are ***** about what it can look like and has to match and all kinds of up tight stuff.

My autos live out side all year round, so different for me. Garage is for bikes.

Does the land lord have any kind of say in how it looks? I've never rented a house anywhere up tight, so don't know. Tons of storage sheds out there. Some will places have signs about building. Probably drives up cost. Around here few places on side of road selling them. Plus home depot and such.

Maybe these plastic ones through the mail. I worry about mice. Not that my garage has never seen a mouse. Put lots of poison or a bucket trap in there.

The one in the pic looks PIA to get in and out off. Have to room to get on and off. If you had a big yard could probably come up with something big enough to store bike stuff or maybe even work on, but money and space I am guessing is an issue.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:58 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,343 Likes on 3,187 Posts

He's looking for just bike storage his landlord won't let him use the garage.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:04 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

His suggestion came from a quick google search so I don’t know how set the landlord is about it having to have a shed that is up to the side of the garage.

I gotta make the time and talk to him about again and show him some of these options you guys are recommending. What sucks about that is that he is rebuilding the kitchen so his mind is totally on that (understandably so). That’s killing me cause until I get this figured out I feel like I won’t be able to relax in my new home. That’s part sucks!! I just have to learn to be a little patient with this process and it will work itself out.

I’m staying away from metal sheds, those will be a pain to take apart and take with me when I leave plus they will probably rust. Trying my best to not just take the easy way out which would be to buy a top notch outdoor cover and just keep the bike outside in the back of the driveway behind all the cars.

Any of you done that over the winter in snowy climates?

Old 10-01-2019, 07:28 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 229 Posts

10ft shipping container.

Quick Reply: Storage shed options