General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a touring CVO really worth over $40k?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 09:40 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,974 Likes on 11,628 Posts

You shouldn’t have to pay MSRP on a ‘19 leftover.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 09:45 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,224 Likes on 7,377 Posts

I would rather have $40k in a new Harley CVO Limited then $60 k + in a big wheel rolling Easter Egg.

For me knowing what I know now the answer would be "YES". But we did not pay over $35 k for our new 2017 limited CVO. When the new 2018's came out they were in high demand with over MSRP prices. This made the left over 2017's VERY attractive. Glad we got one. If I had known how much we would have enjoyed it over previous bikes I would have bought one sooner and probably paid more for it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 09-30-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:57 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,737 Likes on 4,241 Posts

Originally Posted by jcslim
“Sorry you’re poor”?

I don’t ride a CVO, but it isn’t because I can’t afford one. Instead, I spend/waste as much or in some cases more making my already overpriced Harley a one of a kind custom. I know every time I take it out there is a 0% chance of seeing another bike like mine, and when people take the time to admire it I know that they will never see another one just like it. It also helps that generally speaking dollar for dollar I get more than I would have gotten with a CVO (HP, Torque, stereo sound).

To me, I get a lot of joy from coming up with design and modification ideas; doing the work myself (with a few notable exceptions); and at the end of the day I feel proud when people say, “Nice bike” and take the time to look my scoot over. For me personally, I wouldn’t feel that proud accepting compliments on a CVO, but that’s just me. If you buy a completed work of art and take pride in it and enjoy looking at it, then how it makes you feel is really all that matters.

All that said, I don’t know how anyone that is “poor” could be riding any Harley. And, if you are “poor” but you ride on two wheels with a motor you are still my brother/sister and I’ve got nothing but love for you. At the end of the day, none of us can see how pretty the bike we’re on is while we’re riding it. It’s about how it makes us feel when we do.
Nice sound system, my friend. I'm jealous.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:03 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
The purchase price of any CVO model can be justified if you're one of those (like me) that chooses to radically accessorize their ride.

A "custom" paint job with serious engine upgrades on a non-CVO model will more than likely have you investing more than you would in a CVO bike and even then you won't have the many other premium items that come in a CVO badged bike (i.e. heated grips, heated seats, XM radio, remote locks, chromed trim items, bag liners, bike cove, etc., etc.).
I never understood the custom paint angle, it is not custom at all. Just a different factory job. custom to me apparently is far different than what this is all about, custom would me I could pick and choose and at these prices I should be able to.

as for that feature list....

heated grips, seats, xm radio, and remote locks, oh hell, my new RT has all of that, maybe BMW makes CVOs too!

Old 09-30-2019, 10:06 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 158 Posts

So the bike lists for $42300 plus $435 for freight let’s round it to $43k for a leftover I would expect at least a 10% discount so it would be $39k (rounded up) kbb has my bike as trade in at $15k that’s $24k plus BS dealer fees usually about $1k back to $25k and $1750 for tax that is almost $27k. And that assumes that you are able to get the 10% discount. That being said I can’t justify it. I have to wait for a bigger change in the touring lineup for me to make any moves.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:23 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,331 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
Thank you for permission to bloweth my money as I pleaseth. I have doneth so and it has made me many much smile.

Wait...I wanna scooter.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:27 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
I think it's funny and the norm.

"Most" Folks who don't own a CVO, say it's not worth it.

"Most" Folks who own a CVO, say it's worth it.
That's exactly how everything works.

Guy I worked with about 10 years ago had the most smokin' hot wife you ever saw. I mean off the charts, walks into any room and all conversation stops, every man who sees her immediately has thoughts of filling her up with babies, supermodels get jealous of her hot.

She was also a total narcissist, thinks the world owes her everything, self-centered, mean as a rattlesnake b*tch.

To him, she was worth it.

The following 4 users liked this post by 0maha:
deadhawg (09-30-2019), MajorKG (10-02-2019), Rsbenden (10-02-2019), TwiZted Biker (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 11:42 AM
highwayman50
Stellar HDF Member
Received 991 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
The purchase price of any CVO model can be justified if you're one of those (like me) that chooses to radically accessorize their ride.

A "custom" paint job with serious engine upgrades on a non-CVO model will more than likely have you investing more than you would in a CVO bike and even then you won't have the many other premium items that come in a CVO badged bike (i.e. heated grips, heated seats, XM radio, remote locks, chromed trim items, bag liners, bike cove, etc., etc.).

I have one Anniversary Edition bike, one CVO Ultra bike and (probably my last) Tri-Glide.
I just couldn't bring myself to trade or sell my CVO in order to get a newer model trike as I knew that at this point in my life that I'd never get a replacement.
I agree with most all of what you said but....keep in mind...the "custom" paint job you would do on your own...would give you a true one off...not so with a cvo paint job. Huge difference imho.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:55 AM
Bass Player
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,946 Likes on 1,068 Posts

If you are happy with what you have, dependable, why new? Paint? They make it every day, paint your's. Do dads, they make them to. I can paint a bunch of things and ad a bunch of do dads for that kinda money. Reading your post I think you answered your own question anyway. Have the money and dont need it for anything else? Go for it.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:06 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

If you want it and can afford it, it's worth it. But by "afford it" I mean if you have enough disposable income that you can pay cash for it without cutting out other things you like to do. If you have to make payments, it's not worth it.

Quick Reply: Is a touring CVO really worth over $40k?