General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a touring CVO really worth over $40k?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 04:52 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I think the 25k you would have to put out would be better spent making your bike your own and then the likelyhood of someone parking the exact bike next to yours is zero. CVOs are cool. But I prefer buying the specials or standards and doing what I would do to it. Not live with what they did to it. Almost bought one in 16. Glad I didnt. Had a lot of fun making the 16 RGS into mine. And I can afford one. Just choose another path. Some of the paint jobs for 18 on the RG made me look twice.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:57 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Ultraman
IMO no. Ive had 2 cvo. a 14 limited and a 10 ultra as they were called. I got the 14 preowned for 25K in 2016. The 10 was new and was 40k. (upcharge) They are nice yes. The dealer makes 8K ish on the cvos. which means they probably cost Harley in the low 20s to produce. Buying new is like any vehicle.... you get slapped. People buy bmw, Mercedes etc for fun and don't care that most of that extra cost is the name. I bought a 19 RGS custom color early this year which is very nice and added tour pak...lowers... a couple seats. heated grips for about 33K. little discernable difference 114 to 117. I can't justify all that cvo dough. And people say but add up all the parts and you're more than retail.... LOL... the parts are grossly over priced! I don't begrudge anyone's decision. it's all for fun but money matters to me.
This makes my previous point perfectly.

You can't justify the CVO, but you can justify a Road Glide Special and a bunch of extras for $33K.

I can't justify a Road Glide Ultra at $28K or even a basic Road Glide for $22K.

Money matters more for me. But the only person that can decide if it is worth it is you, well and the wife.

You can't make a logical argument about buying a motorcycle, it's an emotional decision. Any attempted application of logic is just you trying to justify the purchase to yourself.

Grouser62 had it right when he said:

My conditions would be
- won't break the bank
- wife is on board
- is the motorcycle I would buy whether it was "left-over" or not
- I can ride it a lot
- I will not want another Harley for at least 5 years
- it is at least a few grand off msrp
- it does something for me that my current ride does not

If you got the money and it makes you happy, then yeah it's worth it.

Last edited by VAFish; 09-30-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:02 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,929 Likes on 2,442 Posts

If i had the bread, why not. Ill never tell another man how to spend his money but if ya got it and ya want it.....

Old 09-30-2019, 06:48 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

I think it's funny and the norm.

"Most" Folks who don't own a CVO, say it's not worth it.

"Most" Folks who own a CVO, say it's worth it.

However, the standard or special motorcycle of late are super nice, yet the CVOs of late are not as nice as they use to be and wayyyy over price.

People thought I was crazy in 2009 for buying my CVO rig for $29k. Maybe I was, but it's still looks killer and runs awesome. But to be fair, it ain't stock either. And I knew that this one was a keeper. "Last year of the hand built bikes by 2 man team."

Lastly, some say CVO are cookie cutters and you see them side by side everywhere. Since taking ownership of my Yellowbird, I have only seen 3 of them on the road. All at different bike weeks. (Daytona beach, Ocean City, Outer Banks)

Bottom line, only you can decide what's best for you, and today is here, not tomorrow.

YB

The following 2 users liked this post by 09 YELLOWBIRD:
Fast66 (09-30-2019), MajorKG (10-02-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:07 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,539 Posts

I don't think any bike is worth even half that. CVOs are gaudy & ostentatious, and leave virtually zero room for "making it your own".
Personally, IDGAF if someone has a bike that looks just like mine.
I wouldn't do it, but it's your bread. Bloweth as thou pleaseth.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:16 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,808 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I'm with most people here. Most of the MoCo's offerings are not worth what they ask for them. A new 2020 Limited sure the hell isn't worth $30k. No two wheels is worth that kind of coin. So no a CVO is definitely not worth that kind of money. But... like others have said, it's your money, buy what you want. Here in WI, if I was going to spend that kind of coin on a toy it would not be a bike. It would be a car. At least I can get a few more enjoyable months out of a car. For me a bike in WI is maybe comfortable riding.. .what 6 months at best.

Last edited by jamala00; 09-30-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:20 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,735 Likes on 4,241 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I don't think any bike is worth even half that. CVOs are gaudy & ostentatious, and leave virtually zero room for "making it your own".
Personally, IDGAF if someone has a bike that looks just like mine.
I wouldn't do it, but it's your bread. Bloweth as thou pleaseth.
Thank you for permission to bloweth my money as I pleaseth. I have doneth so and it has made me many much smile.

The following users liked this post:
MajorKG (10-02-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:20 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,539 Posts

OK here's another way I look at it. I go into a showroom to kill some time,& see 1 or 2 bikes I like (not too many Moco offerings I like nowadays) 114 heritage, Slim, Deluxe; that's about it. Let's say I decided on a Heritage 114; MSRP around 22K. 25K after all the bullshit fees & taxes.
Now, even though my '07 with very tasteful & useful mods & has only 12K miles & is in absolute showroom condition, they would prolly offer me 7-8K trade in. that leaves me having to kick in around 18K cash for the new bike. So, here is what I ask myself. 2 questions:
Is the new bike nicer than mine? Yea; prolly.
Is the new bike 18K nicer than mine? Not a snowball's chance in hell!

That's why I've had my RKC for 10 years. Prolly keep it until I croak, or until it starts giving me problems.

The following users liked this post:
MajorKG (10-02-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:29 AM
mbkjad
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As others have said, to each their own. From my perspective, I had a 2016 Ultra Limited Shriner that I was looking to start upgrading, engine and audio. Was going to end up being at least $10k over the next 2 years and generally speaking, I never rode it with the tour pack on.

Literally the day after the '20's were delivered to the local dealer and the day I was going to drop mine off for the first round of upgrades, I worked out a deal for '19 SG CVO. Absolutely love it and got a great deal with no need to do the upgrades with one exception. My only complaint is they sound lame but even more so is that my right foot is just baking after 30 minutes or so. Apparently on the CVO's the catalytic converter is near the right foot. The fix to it is to replace the exhaust system with either S&S El Dorado or Rinehart systems that move it into the slip-on's. As part of it you have to run a so-so tune from the SE tuner and my dealership is telling me to also run the SE Smart Tune Pro Module.

Each to their own...Will have mine for quite some time. Pricey, yes! Worth it....To me, Yes. Work a deal or call around. I paid $2k below MSRP, dealer included a lifetime engine warranty (they paid for it), they paid for the first 3 services, I paid $600 for the next 3, $600 for an ESP package (5 additional years....don't like these but with all of the electronics I figured WTH). They are selling my bike for $1k more than they gave me for trade.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:32 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

..................NO----------

Quick Reply: Is a touring CVO really worth over $40k?