General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a touring CVO really worth over $40k?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 09:35 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,989 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Only to somebody willing to spend that kinda money, guy I work with has 2 CVO's and is looking at a 3rd if he can find a new softail that way.
I have two CVO's currently, a 13 King and a 19 Road Glide.

My first CVO was an 09 CVO Road Glide. On way home from dealer my wife said " I have never had a car that cost this much" My reply was neither have I. The bike MSRP was 32K, very well worth it.

My 19 CVO Road Glide, MSRP 42K, not so sure its worth it...

Old 10-01-2019, 10:06 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Pretty interesting thread! I must say I had one CVO. I had a 14 Soft tail with candy apple red paint with gold flecks. It had the 110 screaming eagle engine. It was a good ride. I rode from NW Colorado to my house in suburban Houston in 36 hours straight...blasting across New Mexico was the best. But I have had memorable rides on all my bikes I owned. I never added anything to the CVO...it was a really solid little bike. I don't regret it.

My wife drives an mid level Mercedes....pretty neat car. Its overpriced for what you get in my opinion..she only wanted it because she always wanted a Mercedes as a kid.

The following users liked this post:
MajorKG (10-02-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 10:29 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't buy any vehicle for the bling, so no, it's not worth it to me. I'd rather buy two bikes that are pretty much functionally equivalent.

MiniWolf (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Q.) Is a touring CVO really worth over $40k?
A.) No!

Old 10-01-2019, 02:30 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,845 Likes on 2,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Q.) Is a touring CVO really worth over $40k?
A.) No!
Is a Street Glide Special worth ~$28K?
Is an Ultra Limited worth ~ $30K ?

Personally I look at the current prices for a lot of the bikes and wonder who at Harley Davidson is smoking crack. But the bikes always move so plenty of people obviously think its worth it. Same applies to other brands like Indian though. I look at the prices and what you are really getting in a motorcycle and have one of those WTF moments.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:08 PM
mbkjad
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said! I have a close friend who constantly knocks HD's. Wouldn't consider one (very vocal about it despite none of us remotely even trying to sell him on it), but ended up buying a high end Indian (not sure of the model). Flew half way across the country because of the deal (and it did seem like a good deal for all of the stuff it came with comparing it to my previous Shriner or my CVO BUT after 8 weeks and it has been in the shop 3 times for a total of 4 weeks for what he says are known issues I'll take what I have all day long. It can happen to any owner of any brand but so far he has gotten the run around and paid over $1k out of pocket because the issue isn't covered by warranty. HD has stood behind any issue I have had which so far has only been one and it was minor dealing with the radio.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Turning regular bike into CVO takes extra cash and whole lot time on the other hand get A CVO and just go ride the damn thing. As for if it's worth it it all depends on affordability and want.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:43 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,669 Likes on 3,312 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
I think it's funny and the norm.

"Most" Folks who don't own a CVO, say it's not worth it.

"Most" Folks who own a CVO, say it's worth it.

However, the standard or special motorcycle of late are super nice, yet the CVOs of late are not as nice as they use to be and wayyyy over price.

People thought I was crazy in 2009 for buying my CVO rig for $29k. Maybe I was, but it's still looks killer and runs awesome. But to be fair, it ain't stock either. And I knew that this one was a keeper. "Last year of the hand built bikes by 2 man team."

Lastly, some say CVO are cookie cutters and you see them side by side everywhere. Since taking ownership of my Yellowbird, I have only seen 3 of them on the road. All at different bike weeks. (Daytona beach, Ocean City, Outer Banks)

Bottom line, only you can decide what's best for you, and today is here, not tomorrow.

YB

I couldn't come anywhere near your bike, I'd just drool all over it. I've always liked bright yellow, and that bike is stunning IMO.

The following 2 users liked this post by firehawk6:
09 YELLOWBIRD (10-01-2019), MajorKG (10-02-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,944 Likes on 4,025 Posts

I wish HD did some non-touring CVOs like they used to.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by assiniboine
Comparison might be made between a very homely woman and a real fox?

The former is functional but doesn't make ur dick any bigger! .

The latter is expensive, is eye candy, generates envy, personal prestige and desire.
Yea; but the "latter" is gonna be a bitch & give you problems. And usually, the better looking the chick, the more F'ed up in the head.
The homely chick is gonna prolly be a better woman, and you can always pop a little blue pill. And if she leaves you? Who cares!

Last edited by dickey; 10-01-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Herrick (10-01-2019)

Quick Reply: Is a touring CVO really worth over $40k?