General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a touring CVO really worth over $40k?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 06:35 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,161 Likes on 3,674 Posts

I will say that I can’t afford a $40000 bike, plain and simple. If I could afford it I would have a much nicer bike than what I currently have. That said, there is nothing wrong with my current bike now.

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (10-02-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 06:47 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,517 Likes on 2,714 Posts

Im wondering if Harley will produce a CVO version of a stripped down bike rather than loading a bike up with almost every accessory from catalog? Maybe change the image of what a CVO is making CVO synonymous with performance like an SVT Ford for example. With so many less accessories as the loaded up bikes the price point would be lower. Les money, sell more = more money for HD. The final version FXR was technically the first CVO bike is my understanding but wasn't badged as one so why not pick an appropriate model to do that to if not one of the 100 new bikes they plan to produce?

Old 10-01-2019, 06:52 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,734 Likes on 4,240 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I will say that I can’t afford a $40000 bike, plain and simple. If I could afford it I would have a much nicer bike than what I currently have. That said, there is nothing wrong with my current bike now.
I love a guy who loves his bike.

My son just bought his first Harley. He's 22. He got a '14 Dyna Low Rider. He loves that bike He is so proud to ride it.

He's my riding bud and we really don't care who is riding what when the wind is in our faces.

The only thing I give him **** for is when he sheepishly asks me if I can carry something for him in one of my bags. If you want to bring stuff with you, buy a frikken bagger.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:59 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,734 Likes on 4,240 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Im wondering if Harley will produce a CVO version of a stripped down bike rather than loading a bike up with almost every accessory from catalog? Maybe change the image of what a CVO is making CVO synonymous with performance like an SVT Ford for example. With so many less accessories as the loaded up bikes the price point would be lower. Les money, sell more = more money for HD. The final version FXR was technically the first CVO bike is my understanding but wasn't badged as one so why not pick an appropriate model to do that to if not one of the 100 new bikes they plan to produce?
Pretty sure they've done this in the past. There's more money in touring bikes and guys that buy touring bikes tend to have more money. It's likely the reason they did a CVO Trike this year rather than let's say a CVO Fat Boy.

I for one don't want to see Harley ***** out it's product. If it were a luxury motorcycle that only very wealthy or dedicated riders could afford, that would fine by me.

Here is a timeline of CVOs through the years:

Last edited by CaffeineBuzz; 10-01-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
We’re never going to see a hundred new models out of them that was just advertised ploy ! But I also like your idea of just having a true down and dirty sports bike CVO . It’s almost what the Lowrider S is , just missing the 117 engine.

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 10-01-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:04 AM
Hippie44
Advanced
Received 89 Likes on 38 Posts

Wouldn’t the resale value be better on a CVO than a custom stock bike? The most part we buy, sale and barter bikes. I know I do 😝

Old 10-01-2019, 07:09 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,929 Likes on 2,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Hippie44
Wouldn’t the resale value be better on a CVO than a custom stock bike? The most part we buy, sale and barter bikes. I know I do 😝
From what I've seen no. I've seen 3 to 4 year old CVOs sell for 24k with a 42k-ish msrp.. Roughly thats a 40 point diff where a 'regular bike' that was 24k may drop to 15/16k for roughly a 25% dip... No set rule on this though...

Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Hippie44
No , look a CVO ‘s that are just 5 to 7 years old that are for sell . National power sports.com

Old 10-01-2019, 07:32 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,517 Likes on 2,714 Posts

An unaltered CVO would get more return than a custom bike no question. Both losing their shirts of course. The CVO would also be an easier sell.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:53 AM
assiniboine
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,186 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Comparison might be made between a very homely woman and a real fox?

The former is functional but doesn't make ur dick any bigger! .

The latter is expensive, is eye candy, generates envy, personal prestige and desire.

Quick Reply: Is a touring CVO really worth over $40k?