General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good quality chaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019 | 01:29 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
I feel like that about my big fluffy seat cover. Keeps my *** warm. Don't really care if people hate it.

I'm not a fan of the look of chaps. I don't question their functionality. I'm sure they are uber useful to both cattle rustlers and bikers. (are they still called cattle rustlers?)

As far as protective gear goes, if I were dressing for the slide and not the ride, I'd probably really be glad to be wearing some leather chaps.
Just so you know, my dad was a rancher, which means I spent a good part of my first 25+ years in the saddle. Rustling had nothing to do with it. You can thank people like my parents for that next T-bone or Porterhouse.

Your snarky comment is noted for future reference.

The following users liked this post:
Ron750 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-16-2019 | 03:47 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Chaps are a barrier from wind/cold, and to an extent rain if you are caught in it.

Old 10-16-2019 | 05:42 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by martinj
Just so you know, my dad was a rancher, which means I spent a good part of my first 25+ years in the saddle. Rustling had nothing to do with it. You can thank people like my parents for that next T-bone or Porterhouse.

Your snarky comment is noted for future reference.
I think he was trying to pay respect to those who work with cattle (and bikers) who wear chaps, including people like your parents. Nothing “snarky” I saw anyway, just admitting ignorance to what they are called today, or ever maybe.
Just another city boy who will figure more out later maybe.

regarding chaps, I was never a fan until I tried them last year...took me till my 50’s to realize they do a damn good job in cold weather!

I’ll never go another winter riding without them. Nothing cuts the wind like good leather.

Cycle Gear has great ones at $100 to $200. Mine ran $130 on sale (were $200). Well made and very happy with them.

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-16-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2019 | 06:22 PM
martinj
Club Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
I think he was trying to pay respect to those who work with cattle (and bikers) who wear chaps, including people like your parents. Nothing “snarky” I saw anyway, just admitting ignorance to what they are called today, or ever maybe.
Just another city boy who will figure more out later maybe.

regarding chaps, I was never a fan until I tried them last year...took me till my 50’s to realize they do a damn good job in cold weather!

I’ll never go another winter riding without them. Nothing cuts the wind like good leather.

Cycle Gear has great ones at $100 to $200. Mine ran $130 on sale (were $200). Well made and very happy with them.
Funny thing he mentioned cattle rustlers then, and not cattlemen. Funny way to pay respect to legitimate ranchers. If I misread him he can tell me so, and I'll apologize to him.

Old 10-16-2019 | 07:27 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by martinj
Funny thing he mentioned cattle rustlers then, and not cattlemen. Funny way to pay respect to legitimate ranchers. If I misread him he can tell me so, and I'll apologize to him.
I said ‘rustler’...hehe. That was kinda stupid on my part. I should have been the one to apologize. It was not an intended slight...just bad use words.

If we were face to face I’d offer to hug it out with you. I’m told my hugs are legendary.

Maybe you could wear chaps.

Old 10-16-2019 | 07:33 PM
robarosa
Road Master

Lot of cattle here in East Texas, even on my place. Not uncommon for people unfamiliar with the Ag business to misuse those words. Never bother me. They think like rustle up some grub. Thought I'd bring them in during winter feed time. They'd get it right then. On second note, we've got some cowboys around here with impressive (horse) riding skills. I can ride, not like those cowboys.

Last edited by robarosa; 10-16-2019 at 08:00 PM. Reason: can't write
martinj (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019 | 08:15 PM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by Ron750
Chaps get ridiculed on HDF, quite a bit. I love them. e.
Me too. Even with merino wool long johns and heavy fleece jeans you still need something cut the wind. I'd be curious about textiles that slip on faster though. Do leather overpants slip on easier? Not if you have to take you r boots off. But some bibs have the zipper up the side so you don't need to remove boots.

I was on a forum where the guy said chaps looks so bad, and he would wear sweat pants over his jeans. Cracked me up.

I also laugh at the guys who say how important there pecker is so chaps won't work. Obviously never wore chaps, or maybe even never rode a motorcycle.

But to the topic, I would not spend alot. Don't go so cheap they feel like plastic. But I think waste of money. Spend your money on good jacket, which has more to it.

Old 10-16-2019 | 08:33 PM
martinj
Club Member

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
I said ‘rustler’...hehe. That was kinda stupid on my part. I should have been the one to apologize. It was not an intended slight...just bad use words.

If we were face to face I’d offer to hug it out with you. I’m told my hugs are legendary.

Maybe you could wear chaps.
J/K. Not having such a hot day earlier, better now though. We're good.
Not like I've never done similar and no hugs necessary and no apology needed on your part.....

Last edited by martinj; 10-16-2019 at 08:35 PM.
CaffeineBuzz (10-17-2019)