General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Genuine Halcyon aviator goggles or similar

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:49 PM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genuine Halcyon aviator goggles or similar

I'm looking to pick up some goggles and was wondering if anyone knew of a place to get something that looks like a 40s or 50s-era goggle. I'm thinking the Halcyon aviators would be a great fit for the look I am after, but can't seem to find a domestic retailer that carries them. Anyone know of a States side vendor? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Genuine Halcyon aviator goggles or similar

I don't know but I want a pair as well. They would go great with your Deluxe and my Heritage.
marsh

Old 07-13-2007, 10:20 PM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

I'm contacting them directly via http://www.classicpartsltd.com. Hopefully they will have a US vendor. If not, they charge 5 GBP to ship stateside, which isn't bad, though I'm sure the lead time would be just a couple days short of forever.[8D]

Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice googles.

I am a big google fan, just today I killed 3 bees with mine.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Ratbasturd
Road Master
Old 07-13-2007, 10:45 PM
mark1957222
Tourer

The only place I could find the original Halcyon goggles was from the UK.
I did find this place in Seattle, WA that sells "replicas" of them for $34.00.

http://www.maximumeyewear.com/produc...r-goggles.html

Old 07-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Stevehat
Advanced

Eric try this place out of Florida. Click on the goggles section. They have vintage style goggles.

http://www.britishcycles.com/generic23.html

Steve

Old 07-14-2007, 09:03 AM
thelawdoc
Tourer

I got a pair of these from a Florida seller. They do, indeed, look great. But I stopped wearing them long ago because after like an hour on the road, they just do not feel comfortable to me. Also, if you are accustomed to wearing eyeglass-style riding goggles, you might find these conventional goggles 'too much' to have on your face when riding. Finally, do not be tempted to tailor the leather surround to make them more comfortable: it is nearly impossible to do so, and if you fail, there is no possibility of having the company mend them for you [this as per the Florida dealer]. So today I have a pair of $90 goggles sitting around, unused, ruined by my attempt to make them more comfortable, and me feeling stupid. After going through numerous attempts at eyewear, I now wear cheapo goggles from the dealer during warm month riding, and in the cold months I use my x-large windshield which allows me to wear my choice of eyeglasses.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:36 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

Thanks all! I'll have to check out the links provided.

Steve - Ironically, I stumbled across BCI late last night, after searching the internets for a little while. Their prices seem to be higher than it would cost to purchase direct and have them shipped, especially when you add the sales tax and shipping on top of the $100+ price tag. Lakeland isn't too far from Tampa, so I might ride out there...if I ever get a weekday off from work again. [:@]

thelawdoc - thanks for the heads up and I appreciate the advice. My dad has an old pair of H-D goggles that are very similar to the Halcyon design. I borrowed them one day and rode around for quite some time. I normally run a full face, as I don't have a windshield, so I actually prefer the larger coverage of goggles. Sorry to hear you had problems with yours. What about the goggles made them so uncomfortable? Seeing what you paid, I'm assuming you got the leather Mark 49 model?

Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 AM
thelawdoc
Tourer

Wouldbe,
Right now I do not recall exactly which model I bought. They are lying around somewhere since I ruined them. My problem was that the surround was exerting pressure at the top of my nose, around between the eyes. I tried to snip off a little. I almost had it finished, but while sewing it back up, I could not get it smooth and right looking. A shoemaker could probably re-do a complete surround for me, but it would certainly cost enough. Anyway, goggles can be great if you ride without a shield. For me, I ride without a shield in the warm months, but then I would find the Halcyons uncomfortable for the heat. I hate sweating my face with these goggles, though I love the look of the goggles. I don't know- I have pretty much gone nuts over choosing eyewear and face gear. At this time, it is a shield in winterand onvery long rides with my choice of regular eyeglasses, or no shield and my cheap prescription goggles. Seems likeI have spent about as much money on eyewear and headgear as I did on the whole bike.

Quick Reply: Genuine Halcyon aviator goggles or similar