General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrifying Numbers for the 2020 Harley-Davidson LiveWire

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 07:10 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
I try to use the correct terminolgy. The difference is probably lost on most. I also recall my shop teach when talking of the subject. He said I'll quit calling a motor when such and such, NASCAR drivers or racers, do. I am not afraid to to call a magazine a clip, once in awhile.

But I hear ya.
Ya, I'm just bustin' ***** anyway.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:18 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

What cracks me up is, some of the bar hoppers full of rightous indignation at such a low range.

Be interesting to see how it progresses. Obviously lack of room on a bike will be an issue. But batteries have done nothing if not shrunk.

If they put charging stations at taverns, these things will be a hit, until people find out you can still get a DUI.
Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Ya, I'm just bustin' ***** anyway.
Some people poop themselves over horns or clip.

Last edited by Zerk; 08-30-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,842 Likes on 6,376 Posts

If they put charging stations at taverns, these things will be a hit
"Hey Bartender, can I plug in my charging cable? "

"Sure go ahead"

Rides bike into bar to plug in.

Kidding. but on a serious note, you'd have locked in clientele. Would have to stay at LEAST an hour to get his 12 mile charge to the next gin joint.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:39 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

105/86 hp/tq. 0-60 in 3 seconds. I don't call that all that limited. Also I think its cool looking bike, for what it is, sporty. Good thing they got rid of that interior decorator Willie.
Not that limited for a Harley, that is.

Energica Ego:

HP/Torque = 145/148 (NOT a typo). Top speed governed at 150 MPH. 0-60 3 seconds. Recharge time to 85% = 20 min. Range 130 mi (Eco), 31 mi (Track).

Sadly, the Livewire is technologically obsolete even before it hit the showroom.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:56 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,845 Likes on 2,298 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
Not that limited for a Harley, that is.

Energica Ego:

HP/Torque = 145/148 (NOT a typo). Top speed governed at 150 MPH. 0-60 3 seconds. Recharge time to 85% = 20 min. Range 130 mi (Eco), 31 mi (Track).

Sadly, the Livewire is technologically obsolete even before it hit the showroom.
Most everything is obsolete once it hits the floors. Holds true for everything from Laptops to some cars and motorcycles. Someone is always coming out with something with better performance or features. If the goal was to always have the highest performer, you would either never buy anything or be upgrading once or twice a year.. Manufacturers are always trying to stay ahead of the competition in some way.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (09-02-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 03:51 PM
Zepath
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, here's how this goes ... we all need to get over ourselves and hope these new bikes are a huge success so that Harley is still around.

Make no mistake ... we're only a few battery technology advances away from the governments of the world saying. "That it, no more fossil fuel vehicles ... including motorcycles. Irregardless of climate. There is simply too many of these whack jobs selling the politicians (who don't know any better) a line of bullshit.

All vehicles produced will have to be electric or hydrogen in the next two decades. Bet on it.

And you are not going to want to ride a hydrogen motorcycle in our lifetime.

Last edited by Zepath; 08-30-2019 at 03:53 PM.
shorelasHD (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 04:34 PM
Wheelerza
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts

12 countries/ 20 cities have announced bans on fossil fueled VEHICLES already

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phas..._fuel_vehicles

Old 08-30-2019, 05:28 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Most everything is obsolete once it hits the floors. Holds true for everything from Laptops to some cars and motorcycles. Someone is always coming out with something with better performance or features. If the goal was to always have the highest performer, you would either never buy anything or be upgrading once or twice a year.. Manufacturers are always trying to stay ahead of the competition in some way.
Very true-but the thing about the Energica line is that it's been on the showroom floor for almost 4 years, and it's hard to believe that with all of it's resources, the MoCo couldn't come up with a better offering than the Livewire.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:38 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I just got home from driving 3 hours each way to King of Prussia PA for the Livewire Demo with my 3 millennial children..

Anyone saying these things have no soul does not know the definition of the word soul. These things are incredible. Go take one for a ride.

They are insanely fun to ride. twist of the wrist and you are doing 80 in a 25 m[ph zone. I used to ride liter sport bikes in the late 90's and early 2000's. 0-60 the Livewire puts them to shame. We were having so much fun on the test rides that the cops showed up after our fourth trip out. I figured the fun was over after that and I left.

IF they weren't $30,000 or if we were a wealthy family there would have been four of them sold today.

shorelasHD (08-31-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:39 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Default 2020 LiveWire

Not to rain on the electric crowds " it's the future and the savior of all mankind." battle cry .But if anyone thinks Standard Oil, Exxon Mobile ,Phillips Petroleum, British Petroleum are going out of business and there will be no fossil fuels on the earth, think again.. Standard Oil is one of if not the biggest company in the world. There are too many players with to much to loose to relinquish their grip on their cash cow. It's in the same vain as curing cancer. All the cancer doctors,the cancer research centers, cancer hospitals and the drug companies are going to go out of business ? Yeah right. Sure electric may help and solar too, but to think it's going to replace the gas engine and fossil fuels ,wishful thinking at best.

Quick Reply: Electrifying Numbers for the 2020 Harley-Davidson LiveWire