General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrifying Numbers for the 2020 Harley-Davidson LiveWire

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 04:36 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Saw one parked at the dealer last week. Poured a couple drops of oil under it from the spare bottle in my saddlebag.
When the guy that owned it came out, I thought he was gonna have a heart attack.
While I seriously doubt this because I don't think any have been delivered to individuals yet.

I am bringing a small bottle of used motor oil with me on Friday.

Now I'm thinking about rigging up an oil bottle in my pocket with a hose running down my pant leg so I can place the oil without being seen.

Last edited by VAFish; 08-28-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:50 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Enjoy you test ride.. Artificial vibrations and computer generated engine sounds is nothing like the real thing IMHO..There are plenty of naturally asperated gas powered motorcycles out there that make more torque and horsepower if that is the only thing people want. I got nothing against electric power but to me anyway, it's more of an electric appliance than a true motorcycle. Maybe Harley should build a diesel powered machine ? Plenty of torque there.
It's amazing how many people don't have a clue about the way the world works. Electric propulsion is just as "real" as Internal Combustion propulsion, and External Combustion (think steam engine) propulsion. They all "propel", and they all have their advantages and disadvantages for the various applications which require propulsion.

In short, they're ALL the "REAL THING". If you don't like the looks, sound, or smell of a given motive source, why, that's on you- tough darts. Physics, Engineering, and Economics will determine what's used for a given application.

Now a little science lesson: electric motors are in the range of 80+% efficient, and have ONE moving part. ICE engines (yes, even diesels) are in the range of 30% efficient-that other 70% is wasted as heat and goes out through the radiator-and have hundreds of moving parts, every one of which has to be individually manufactured and can break.

Electric motors produce torque by passing electric current through a coil (technically called a solenoid) which generates a magnetic field at ALMOST the speed of light (for all practical purposes instantly) and can maintain that pull more or less indefinitely as long as the current continues. No normally aspirated, turbocharged, or supercharged Internal Combustion engine can do, that, not even a diesel. This is why "Diesel Locomotives" are in fact "Diesel-Electric Locomotives", in which diesel engines turn generators which in turn supply current to electric motors to create a magnetic field to produce the kind of torque it takes to move a mile-long freight train from a dead stop.

All that said, electric propulsion is in it's market infancy, and it's ONE and ONLY disadvantage is charging and energy storage (battery) which is improving almost on a daily basis. The day will come (probably sooner that we think) when you'll need a special permit to run an ICE powered vehicle-not necessarily saying that's a good thing-I'm against almost anything that limits choice. Get used to it.

Originally Posted by Mengy
The definition of a motorcycle is a powered vehicle with two wheels. The Livewire most certainly has a motor and it has two wheels, so it is indeed a "true" motorcycle. It's just not to your liking, that's all, and that's fine.

As for the Livewire it's just priced way too high for what it is, and that is going to give it a very hard time succeeding in a market with the likes of Zero.
I'm sure the Livewire is a great motorcycle, despite it's high price and limited performance and range compared to other current market offerings. The MoCo HAS NO CHOICE but to offer electric products if it wants to survive, and I wish them well. If I were in the market, I'd consider a Zero (still overpriced, and the nearest dealer is an A-H0le) or an Energica (twice the bike at way less the price, and the choice of Moto-E). There's a few other manufacturers around, time will tell who makes it and who doesn't. BTW and the SOUND electric bikes make is fantastic!

Last edited by shorelasHD; 08-28-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-28-2019, 10:19 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

I was talking to guy with an electric car today. He said only maintenance is adding windshield washer fluid. Now the question is what is the life of the rest of it, more or less than gasser? He was on 200 some mile commute today.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:24 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
It'

limited performance

105/86 hp/tq. 0-60 in 3 seconds. I don't call that all that limited. Also I think its cool looking bike, for what it is, sporty. Good thing they got rid of that interior decorator Willie.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:56 AM
Zepath
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope Harley sells more than they can produce!!! I ride what I want to ride and I don't judge others for what they choose to ride ... I seriously hope this bike's sales takes off like a rocket and solves all of Harley's problems.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:40 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8,569 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Interesting vehicle. Electric vehicles are certainly in their infancy and I'm not one to judge the concept based upon what we've seen thus far. At the birth of the automobile many of the same comments were heard from folks who looked at those early vehicles and laughed. Likewise the airplane and I'm not inclined to pile on with a lot of "get a horse" kind of comments.
The numbers I haven't seen yet on the "Livewire" are: how long does the battery last, and what is the cost to replace it.
At this point in the development of the market I doubt anybody really cares what those answers are because folks aren't buying these to actually use extensively but that will have to be answered at some point.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:47 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Zepath
I seriously hope this bike's sales takes off like a rocket and solves all of Harley's problems.
Put the bong down RIGHT NOW.

The following users liked this post:
Mattbastard (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 06:04 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

I rode a prototype. It was an extremely fun bike to ride. Most everything on two wheels would be.

At the time of the original Livewire campaign, NOBODY from the MOCO would speculate on the price. However, journalists and dealers were expecting in the high teens or low 20's at the time. I think the industry is shaking their head at the price of the livewire. It's just too much money. Much like their touring line up. I payed 20k for a fully loaded (mostly) FLHTCU in 2010. Expecting to charge more than a small SUV for a proper touring bike or this "experiment into the future" is foolish.

I guess we'll see what the next generation to the next generation of motorcycles brings. Hopefully more miles for WAY less money.

Last edited by Toe Knee; 08-29-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:21 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

Technically the Livewire is more of a "motorcycle" than the rest of the Harley line

Motor = electric
Engine = gas

Old 08-29-2019, 06:30 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

Since this bike has been in the press for over 2 years now, I expect an initial rush to buy them. But that rush will soon be over, as the few people who want and can afford one will have it. Long term I expect it to be a failure due to the price and range and not because it's electric.

Quick Reply: Electrifying Numbers for the 2020 Harley-Davidson LiveWire