General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrifying Numbers for the 2020 Harley-Davidson LiveWire

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 09:08 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
No offence but what was the dealers allotment of live wires for the year ? To be honest what makes the live wire a Harley anyway ? Slapping a Harley badge on a big battery pack and saying it's a Harley ? IMHO electric motorcycles, bicycles are on pair with appliances. There is no " soul " in any electrical bike, no vibration, no mechanical or exhaust noise, no smell of fuel or oils no vibrations, no V-twin rumble, Nothing. Harley could put their name on an electric drill or blender and it would be the level of excitement the live wire generates for me anyway.
I'm going to hold back judgment until I can ride a livewire.

But I have ridden Zero electric motorcycles. To say they have no soul is wrong. They just move you in a different fashion. With all the torque at zero rpm they pull like nothing else. There is no roar just the snapping of your neck and then rush of air.

The livewire is supposed to have a synaptic pulse of the motor at a stop to let you know it is on. It also has a distinctive gear whine sound. So they have vibration and mechanical noise. Just different from the ICE bikes.

If all goes as planned I'll be riding a livewire on Friday and will report back.

The following 3 users liked this post by VAFish:
crazytown (08-28-2019), GPHDXLC (08-29-2019), shorelasHD (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 10:51 AM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Default Live Wire

Enjoy you test ride.. Artificial vibrations and computer generated engine sounds is nothing like the real thing IMHO..There are plenty of naturally asperated gas powered motorcycles out there that make more torque and horsepower if that is the only thing people want. I got nothing against electric power but to me anyway, it's more of an electric appliance than a true motorcycle. Maybe Harley should build a diesel powered machine ? Plenty of torque there.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:05 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 52,969 Likes on 18,537 Posts

No offence but what was the dealers allotment of live wires for the year ? To be honest what makes the live wire a Harley anyway ? Slapping a Harley badge on a big battery pack and saying it's a Harley ? IMHO electric motorcycles, bicycles are on pair with appliances. There is no " soul " in any electrical bike, no vibration, no mechanical or exhaust noise, no smell of fuel or oils no vibrations, no V-twin rumble, Nothing. Harley could put their name on an electric drill or blender and it would be the level of excitement the live wire generates for me anyway.
As a kid I couldn't wait for the county fair to arrive. One of may favorite things were the bumper cars. They were all electric but within a few smashups you knew which cars to get in the next round. Some had no acceleration, others couldn't turn and a precious few did everything well. You couldn't say they had no soul and they were definitely fun. I'd expect the livewire to have characteristics that folks will enjoy. Anything that is on 2 wheels and has instant torque, incredible acceleration that also handles and stops well will be fun. The $30k price tag, distance limitation with how long to recharge will keep me away. If they ever come up with a standard battery that could be swapped out at gas stations to take less time than filling up a gas tank would start to change my mind.

The following 2 users liked this post by Walter White:
GPHDXLC (08-29-2019), hvacgaspiping (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:15 AM
Mengy
Tourer
Received 172 Likes on 101 Posts

I got nothing against electric power but to me anyway, it's more of an electric appliance than a true motorcycle.
The definition of a motorcycle is a powered vehicle with two wheels. The Livewire most certainly has a motor and it has two wheels, so it is indeed a "true" motorcycle. It's just not to your liking, that's all, and that's fine.

As for the Livewire it's just priced way too high for what it is, and that is going to give it a very hard time succeeding in a market with the likes of Zero.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mengy:
GPHDXLC (08-29-2019), hvacgaspiping (08-28-2019), modular (08-29-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:44 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Enjoy you test ride.. Artificial vibrations and computer generated engine sounds is nothing like the real thing IMHO..There are plenty of naturally asperated gas powered motorcycles out there that make more torque and horsepower if that is the only thing people want. I got nothing against electric power but to me anyway, it's more of an electric appliance than a true motorcycle. Maybe Harley should build a diesel powered machine ? Plenty of torque there.
It's not a computer generated engine sound it is gear whine. The livewire motor is mounted length wise and needs gears to make the 90 degree turn to line up with the wheels unlike most other electric motorcycles that mount the motor horizontally.

I think Harley has tried very hard to give the livewire soul of its own.

I think it's pretty safe to say that you and most traditional Harley owners are not the target market for the livewire. Thats a good thing because the Harley base is dying off and not buying enough motorcycles. The while point of the livewire is to develop a new market and keep the moco going.

As for the diesel motorcycle I'd love to see one if them too. I drive a diesel truck. Imagine if I could put straight pipes on a bike and roll coal.

The following 2 users liked this post by VAFish:
dkleiner (08-29-2019), shorelasHD (08-29-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:47 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,171 Likes on 6,710 Posts

Saw one parked at the dealer last week. Poured a couple drops of oil under it from the spare bottle in my saddlebag.
When the guy that owned it came out, I thought he was gonna have a heart attack.

The following 4 users liked this post by RHPAW:
2K10FBLO (08-30-2019), FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER (08-28-2019), MadMouser (08-29-2019), TexNorth (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:57 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Saw one parked at the dealer last week. Poured a couple drops of oil under it from the spare bottle in my saddlebag.
........ i tried hard not to laff @ that, i really did
................ it didn't work

The following users liked this post:
ole_phart (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,237 Likes on 5,854 Posts

Torque from an electric motor cannot be compared to torque from a gas motor...gas motors make high numbers at x amount of RPM...an electric motor makes all it's torque starting at 1 RPM...

I would imagine you would have to put some serious money in a gas motor to keep up with thing from 0-60...fun from stop light to stop light...

Too much money, and not enough range to be practical yet..

The following 2 users liked this post by Tom84FXST:
GPHDXLC (08-29-2019), shorelasHD (08-29-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 12:10 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,424 Likes on 7,999 Posts

95 miles or 146 miles to a charge.... for $30K. They can stick it in their @ss.

I've ridden a Zero motorcycle electric and I will say the electric experience is pretty awesome, Instant linear power. I had a blast riding it

Old 08-28-2019, 01:33 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 52,969 Likes on 18,537 Posts

Looks like female stunt rider had fun with the livewire when doing stunts for this film.

The following users liked this post:
mtgriz (08-29-2019)

Quick Reply: Electrifying Numbers for the 2020 Harley-Davidson LiveWire